• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Well Developed Female Characters From Movies

MBTI Type
INTJ
Heh. You know, I too have railed against the stilted lines given the various Star Wars characters down through the years... but I think I know now that Lucas would not have it any other way. That's the way archetypes talk. :D

Yeah, the dialogue is definitely stilted. But I think that's at least partly because Star Wars is designed to be like a lot of popcorn movies and serials from the 40s and 50s. And anytime you watch movies from that period, you'll find that the dialogue is stilted in all of them. Movie acting was very "stagey" until a more naturalistic style of acting took hold in the late 60s. I think Lucas was partly mimicking that style. Of course, I think partly he just isn't as good a writer as he is a director, too :)

And just as a disclaimer, I'm not a Star Wars fan at all. I liked the first one a lot, after that they just didn't do anything for me.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Good chioce. :)

Did you ever see the version "Valmont" and if so what did you think? Just curious.

A sexy, intelligent film with great costumes. Colin Firth is quite good, Meg Tilly is lovely.

Jae Rae

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
Miyazaki's animated films often have well-developed females--particularly, Nausicaa.

Also the lead in Mirrormask, directed by Dave McKean & written by Neil Gaiman.

I'm surprised by this thread, though . . . I expected to find more examples from browsing my DVD shelf.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Am I wrong in always loving Aeon?

04.jpg

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone ever seen The Crying Game?

Oh wait, we're talking about female characters, aren't we?

heart

heart on fire
Has anyone ever seen The Crying Game?

Oh wait, we're talking about female characters, aren't we?

Now really Uber, I find it hard to believe that you don't have a favorite female character that you admire for her personality aspects. I know there is a Fi in there striving to get out. :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now really Uber, I find it hard to believe that you don't have a favorite female character that you admire for her personality aspects. I know there is a Fi in there striving to get out. :)

I take it you've seen The Crying Game, then?

And Fi doesn't get out...Fe does! ;)

alicia91

The ones that come to mind:

Erin Brockovich - smart, ambitious, dedicated

Bridget Jones - funny, honest, is herself yet is always in a state of trying to improve herself, smart, isn't 'perfect' in a typical heroine way

Alex from Fatal Attraction - not sure if she was 'well-developed' or just memorable!

heart

heart on fire
The ones that come to mind:

Erin Brockovich - smart, ambitious, dedicated

Good choice. :)

Bridget Jones - funny, honest, is herself yet is always in a state of trying to improve herself, smart, isn't 'perfect' in a typical heroine way

Yes, a real woman heroine, the best kind.

Alex from Fatal Attraction - not sure if she was 'well-developed' or just memorable!

Yes, very memorable. They might have gone a bit deeper into why she was so desperate. She's extreme example of Jung's "Over-Developed Eros" in a woman.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Helen Parr (Incredibles)
Ellen Ripley (Alien)
Sarah Connor (Terminator)
Elle Arroway (Contact)

Bess MacNeil (Breaking the Waves) -- Regardless of the outcome of her decisions, what she did she did out of love for her husband.

Mary MacGregeor (Rob Roy) -- She kept a secret as a sacrifice / gift of love to her husband.

Princess Isabelle (Braveheart) -- Strong, beautiful, gracious, intelligent, and not to be dominated.

The entire female cast of "Kill Bill, Vol 1 & 2." (All of them very much "hell on wheels" without losing their femininity.)

Female cast (six actresses) of "The Descent" -- Female interplay and comraderie that was tough, yet feminine, in the midst of horrific circumstances.

Satine (Moulin Rouge) -- A woman trying to fend for herself, while maintaining her tangled web of relationships.

Sun, Kate, Ana-Lucia, Rousseau (Lost) -- Strong women who can deal with men, yet (mostly Sun and Kate) passionately give of themselves to care for the people they love.

Eowyn (Lord of the Rings) -- In some ways weak due to her insecurities, but trying so hard to be true to her kin, show strength, prove herself adequate.

Alma (Brokeback Mountain) -- Tried to make a difficult marriage work, fought to preserve it and still care for her kids despite her heart being broken.

Mary Jane Parker (Spiderman 2) -- Loves Peter, gives up convenience to be with someone she loves... although she realizes how much it will cost her to be involved with a man with split commitments.

Clementine (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) -- Yay, an ESFJ heroine! She is rough, belligerent, in emotionally flux... and yet she is so committed to giving of herself.

Lynn Sear and Anna Crowe (Sixth Sense) -- Another ESFJ heroine, Lynn is the fierce, loyal, loving, die-for-her-son mom who at the same just has such a loving and very real connection with him. Even though she doesn't understand her son and at times becomes furious with him, she will NEVER abandon him or turn on him. Anna, meanwhile, is quieter and gentler in her suffering... which you only realize afterwards that she has been dealing with throughout the movie, her heart having been broken.

Belle (Beauty and the Beast) -- Intelligent, funny, imaginative, perceptive, loyal to her promises, and dedicated to the people she loves... even while being hurt by them and always standing up for herself.

O

Oberon

What about Annie Wilkes in Misery?

What about dropping the "I love blood and pain because I'm an adorable psycho" fake persona that everyone's so tired of?

I suspect there's a real you under there, but nobody ever gets to see it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about dropping the "I love blood and pain because I'm an adorable psycho" fake persona that everyone's so tired of?

He's such a cockadoodie dirty birdie!

-----

doh, I forgot one of the best:

Clarice Starling (The Silence of the Lambs) -- She is so awesome. So human, so brave, so out of her league and faced with her own demons, but she doesn't give up and does her best, even while struggling through what is portrayed as a "man's world."