• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jane Austen - Masterpiece Theatre

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth this week. Alright, but awfully long. Was it just my TV, or was there than weird radio-like narration all through the first scene? I'm interested enough to catch next week, but I'm not really feeling a particular passion for any of the current plotlines. I get why Mr. Darcy is so grumpy all the time. I'm all that critical too, but doesn't he get tired by being so snarly all the time?
No. Apparently, most people think he's an INTJ. They're capable of just staying in a perpetual state of grumpiness.

It might have been just your tv.

I didn't think this version of P & P was cast well. I've seen it 5 or 6 times now, and the mother's voice is enough to prevent me from ever watching it again, even though I really like it a lot. I'm convinced she's just a terrible actress. She wasn't playing her part, she was acting like she was acting. All that high-pitched nasally cackling. :(

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The best Masterpiece Theater versions are the ones with multiple parts, rent off of Netflix and watch all day, get totally immersed in the stories. That's my idea of a great time. :)

I enjoyed the Colin Frith version last night very much. I still am very partial to the 2005 version with Keira Knightley, Matthew MacFadyen, and Donald Sutherland. Both versions have their good points and both well worth watching, jmo. I watched the 2005 version on Sat night so I had a good chance to compare both. I love them both! :) I think Sutherland does a better job of playing her father. The first English country dance scene is better in the 2005 version, one of the best parts of the movie, I enjoy the different perspective of Elizabeth rejecting Darcy in the rain, I also enjoy the part where Elizabeth visits his home and all the collected art work.

MacFadyen gets my vote as the handsomer, more appealing Mr. Darcy, but that's just my opinion.
I agree with you. I have come to the conclusion that the only thing the 2005 version required to reach perfection is the script from this 1995 version!

heart

heart on fire
This thread needs some squee...thank you unknown people on photobucket...

darcy.jpg

darcy.jpg

Mr.jpg

Broandsis.jpg

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No. Apparently, most people think he's an INTJ. They're capable of just staying in a perpetual state of grumpiness.

It might have been just your tv.

I didn't think this version of P & P was cast well. I've seen it 5 or 6 times now, and the mother's voice is enough to prevent me from ever watching it again, even though I really like it a lot. I'm convinced she's just a terrible actress. She wasn't playing her part, she was acting like she was acting. All that high-pitched nasally cackling. :(

:yes: She was quite cartoonish. But I did like most of the other actors/actresses pretty much, even if sometimes it was sort of over-the-top (with the unattractive cousin and all). I guess it's supposed to make more clear the humor of the piece?

Mr. Darcy is very INTJ. I was wondering about Elizabeth's type though. EN?p perhaps? I didn't really get a good read on that.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
:yes: She was quite cartoonish. But I did like most of the other actors/actresses pretty much, even if sometimes it was sort of over-the-top (with the unattractive cousin and all). I guess it's supposed to make more clear the humor of the piece?

Mr. Darcy is very INTJ. I was wondering about Elizabeth's type though. EN?p perhaps? I didn't really get a good read on that.
Elizabeth... I have read that she is INFJ or ENFP.

Well, she's critical of people, quick to judge them, her pride gets somewhat easily wounded (but whose doesn't) she likes frolicking about out of doors, she doesn't care too much about appearances (hem 6 inches deep in mud). She hated Darcy because he ruined her beloved sister's happiness. Is that and F thing? But she would not marry Mr. Collins just to please her mother or secure the financial security of her entire family.

One thing that stands out to me is that Elizabeth is not easily intimidated. I noticed this because she's the opposite of me. She's not intimidated by Lady C., nor by Mr. Darcy coming to hear her play the pianoforte "in all your state" as she says. What type would that be?

Another outstanding characteristic is that she is like her father in that they like to laugh at people's "ridiculous" behavior.

What do you think, heart? INFJ?

heart

heart on fire
My guess ENFJ, she strikes me as extroverted.

Edit to say: I would be curious to hear Pink's opinion.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I really like this photo. I mean I R-E-A-L-L-Y like this photo. :wubbie:
All of a sudden I have closure.
(I hated the ending of the movie!)
This would have made a much better ending!

He should have said "Mrs. Darcy" only 3 times! 4 at the most!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
My guess ENFJ, she strikes me as extroverted.
Right. I was just thinking about how she was so in touch with her thoughts and feelings when he proposed to her the first time. She had quite a bit to say to him. She wasn't at a loss for words at all.

heart

heart on fire
Right. I was just thinking about how she was so in touch with her thoughts and feelings when he proposed to her the first time. She had quite a bit to say to him. She wasn't at a loss for words at all.

Yes, an introvert would likely do as Darcy did, send the letter later...:blush: :)

heart

heart on fire
My guess for Jane Bennet--- ISFP
Mr. Bennet --- INTJ
Mrs. Bennet --- ESFJ
Mr. Bingley ---- ESFP
Lydia Bennet ---- ESTP
Mr. Darcy --- INFJ (He is just a little too prissy for me to say INTJ!)
Elizabeth Bennet ---ENFJ

Rebuttals are both welcomed and encouraged! :)

Apollonian

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just saw the Jane Austen Book Club yesterday. I highly recommend it as a more modern take on Jane Austen.

... Plus, the guy in the movie bears an uncanny resemblence to me... I mean uncanny. Die-hard science fiction enthusiast, computer scientist, doesn't know what to do with his money, likes women in a sort of innocent/romantic way, and has a sort of edge to him underneath all his social awkwardness. I think he was meant to be an analog to Mr. Knightly from Emma.

Anyway, not to derail the thread, I actually own the Colin Firth P&P and hence have already seen it. As such, I am slightly dissapointed that there isn't more Austen that I have not seen. I have been converted to think it as the better version over the Kyra version. Although, I've heard rumor that there is another version that was featured on the Wishbone television show which I now have to track down.

Apollonian

MBTI Type
INTJ
Mr. Darcy --- INFJ (He is just a little too prissy for me to say INTJ!)

Absolutely no way. Darcy is the absolute epitome of the INTJ.

Who says that INTJs cannot be prissy??? Look at the time period. It was trendy for guys to wear frills and lace, for peats sake! Prissy indeed. You say "prissy" and I say "cultured". Now if a guy wore frills and lace in this day and age...I'm not even going there, since "anachronism" doesn't seem to cover it.

INTJ Qualities of Darcy:
- Brooding nature with a detachment from the immediate social world (first ball)
- Keen insight into the psychology of others (scene where Mrs. Bennett visits when her sister is sick and Darcy analyzes the women's behavior)
- While he has no difficulty in expressing his thoughts on many matters, he has a keen difficulty in expressing his true feelings for Elizebeth until the end of the story
- The letter is characteristic, owing itself to an introverted nature but seething with extroverted Thinking as his TJ-ness shows through in his stubborn desire to defend his actions and his honor despite being openly rejected
- Upon hearing of Mr. Wickham's exploits with Lydia, rather than seeking to console Lizzy, he springs into action, immediately attempting to form a plan which will force Wickham's hand

Basically, I don't see really any point where Darcy exhibits extroverted feeling at all. In fact, most of the point is that Lizzy is flabergasted when he actually does get around to sharing his feelings because she had no idea!

I often have times when I wonder whether I am INFJ, but then I inevitably realize that those are the times when I am alone in introspection and my tertiary trait of introverted Feeling becomes dominant as the first two take a rest. INTJs can be passionate, given the right environment. And I would like to think that INFJ's can be intellectual, given the right prompting and education.

heart

heart on fire
I say he is INFJ because of how much he values social convention as far as her family's social status and manners. That seems totally Fe to me. I just cannot see a INTJ caring that much about such a trifle, where is the logic? INFJ male more prone to using logic to justify Fe motivations as slave to Fe.

When I say prissy, I mean how out of joint he gets because his gal doesn't measure up to some social ideal he values. His brooding has a ticked off at life quality to it, not the cold detachment of an INTJ.

The INFJ's Fe comes through the filter of Ni and male INFJ many times wear an outward mantle of strong stubborness and at times overweening pride to hide their softness and develop Ti to a greater degree to cope with the world. They can have a harder time expressing strong emotions vebally, do much better in the written word. INFJ have just as keen an insight into psychology as INTJ, in fact more so from what I can see.

heart

heart on fire
INFJ - Introverted Intuition with Feeling

Though they may maneuver themselves to receive affection, INFJs may be quite sparing in dispensing it to others because of their naturally Introverted manner. For the INFJ, talk is cheap, and the resulting sparsity of their communications can have a negative effect on relationships at work and home...

Male INFJs have a more problematic situation because the qualities naturally preferred by INFJs are not those traditionally considered to be "male." To counter the image of being weak, male INFJs can become stubborn, often to a degree disproportionate to he situation at hand.

They are capable of taking a seemingly small issue and making it seem as if the entire world--or at least their masculinity--were riding on the outcome.

The behavior unfortunately belies the fact that both male and female INFJs are reservoirs of quiet, intellectual introspective imagination who can inspire insight and growth in men and women alike. INFJs are often great thinkers whose pondering of the immense can bring great ideas to the forefront.

Typically, they seek to spread their ideas in a quiet, deliberate way--more typically by the pen than by the sword.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Absolutely no way. Darcy is the absolute epitome of the INTJ.

Who says that INTJs cannot be prissy??? Look at the time period. It was trendy for guys to wear frills and lace, for peats sake! Prissy indeed. You say "prissy" and I say "cultured". Now if a guy wore frills and lace in this day and age...I'm not even going there, since "anachronism" doesn't seem to cover it.

INTJ Qualities of Darcy:
- Brooding nature with a detachment from the immediate social world (first ball)
- Keen insight into the psychology of others (scene where Mrs. Bennett visits when her sister is sick and Darcy analyzes the women's behavior)
- While he has no difficulty in expressing his thoughts on many matters, he has a keen difficulty in expressing his true feelings for Elizabeth until the end of the story
- The letter is characteristic, owing itself to an introverted nature but seething with extroverted Thinking as his TJ-ness shows through in his stubborn desire to defend his actions and his honor despite being openly rejected
- Upon hearing of Mr. Wickham's exploits with Lydia, rather than seeking to console Lizzy, he springs into action, immediately attempting to form a plan which will force Wickham's hand

Basically, I don't see really any point where Darcy exhibits extroverted feeling at all. In fact, most of the point is that Lizzy is flabbergasted when he actually does get around to sharing his feelings because she had no idea!

I often have times when I wonder whether I am INFJ, but then I inevitably realize that those are the times when I am alone in introspection and my tertiary trait of introverted Feeling becomes dominant as the first two take a rest. INTJs can be passionate, given the right environment. And I would like to think that INFJ's can be intellectual, given the right prompting and education.
I agree with you about Darcy.
I thought perhaps that Darcy could be an ISTJ because of his extreme sense of taking responsibility for what Wickham did.
Also the way the housekeeper describes him as a kind master, never having raised his voice, and good to his tenants.
Whatever. He could be an INTJ with a high S factor.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I say he is INFJ because of how much he values social convention as far as her family's social status and manners. That seems totally Fe to me. I just cannot see a INTJ caring that much about such a trifle, where is the logic? INFJ male more prone to using logic to justify Fe motivations as slave to Fe.

When I say prissy, I mean how out of joint he gets because his gal doesn't measure up to some social ideal he values. His brooding has a ticked off at life quality to it, not the cold detachment of an INTJ.

The INFJ's Fe comes through the filter of Ni and male INFJ many times wear an outward mantle of strong stubborness and at times overweening pride to hide their softness and develop Ti to a greater degree to cope with the world. They can have a harder time expressing strong emotions verbally, do much better in the written word. INFJ have just as keen an insight into psychology as INTJ, in fact more so from what I can see.
Ah. I see where you're coming from now.
I don't see him as respecting social convention, not as much as Bingley anyhow.
Wouldn't he have been gracious and danced at the dance if he cared about convention?

The social ideal was inculcated into him from an early age. He was from the rich landowners set. In those days the chasms betweens "classes" were much more significant than they are now. I guess that's why I thought he might have a high "S" factor. He wanted to do the right thing, what he was "expected" to do.

Yet in the end, he could not deny himself the pleasure of being married to a woman he admired for her beauty and for her love of the outdoors, even though her relations were "so far below" his own.

Could an F really say - when they are NOT angry - it's against my better judgment, since I'm so much better than you, but would you marry me? You can't get any more T than that! :blush: Poor thing.
He was just stating facts. Nothing personal. :D

I don't know. Maybe Fs do that, too. If so, I fear I will never be able to tell them apart!

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
In Darcy's defense or an explanation of him as I see it...I've read the books and seen some of the film adaptations...

Darcy is "old money" and perhaps in the best sense of that phrase. I think that he takes his fortune and the responsibilities that it entails (politically, socially, economically) very seriously with a long term view...he is a "good master" as far as that society allows. When he is introduced at the dance I see him in the capacity of Bingley's protector. He is genuinely fond of Bingley but sees him as vulnerable (inexperienced?)to others who might take advantage of his gregarious and trusting nature. He knows how open and unsuspecting souls (his sister) can be exploited by crafty predators. I believe he is an introvert that would rather be at home...but feels he must go out to this event out of not only social obligation but the preservation of a dear friend who may not be able to recognize the dangers that he (Darcy) is all too familiar with. I think that he is in an emotional state here: irritated, suspicious and fearful. Austen discloses the predatory nature of "lower class" or economically challenged families through Lizzie' mother...Bingley, Darcy...are indeed targets, and everybody knows it. Who for example could resist Lizzie? Darcy's testiness may be a reaction to just that...he is on high alert and Lizzie with her manner and wit is dangerous. He is used to dodging the usual bullets of cultivated charm and beauty...Lizzie is subversive by her nature and well off his protective radar.

Darcy feels his responsibility deeply, he truly "husbands" his inheritance. He is intolerant of stupidity, vanity and prejudice among the lower classes and his immediate circle. He is intolerant of ignorance...he cannot understand why others can't see what he sees and is impatient with that. No one is excepted from his perceptions and judgements. Darcy is a real tight-ass. He has to be. he has been hurt by not paying attention and being too trusting. And he has seen the results of his late fathers too trusting behaviour with Wickham. Darcy could have cut Wickham off...he knew he should but that would compromise his honor and obligation as he saw it. When he realizes the direct results of this in the later actions of Wickham and the younger Bennet girl he feels duty bound to clean up his mistake (I believe irregardless of Lizzie) which works to the benefit of the woman he so admires.

Darcy is generous with his inheritance to those he percieves as trustworthy. His invitation to Lizzie's companions to use his ponds for fishing, even offering to loan the the equipment is gracious and sincere, despite their social class.

Darcy clearly loves and treasures his sister. I think she could get anything out of him but she is too good natured to do so. I think his mind is constantly dogged by his almost losing her to machinations of Wickham. He seems to treat any other relations with no more (or less) respect than they deserve. And as I mentioned above he witholds himself from Lizzie I believe because he does not trust his own judgement feeling carried away by his emotions when around her. When they are alone at the Inn, and Lizzie reveals what has happened with her sister and Wickham I believe he feels the shadow of his sister's earlier experience fall upon him with full weight. He may feel that his distraction by Lizzie prevented him from seeing this event (his reponsibility he feels) coming thus leaving her family and her exposed by his carelessness.
Console Lizzie at this time? Darcy is a bit clueless...I think he reacted like somone who realizes that they left the iron on at home an hour ago...he has to run back before the house burns down. He trusts Lizzie to "get it" but she sees things from her perfectly reasonable POV.
He is a control freak...he has to be. I think he is more or less psychically worn out from trying to manage so much. No wonder he is crabby. remember the release of tension and relaxed state Darcy is in when he simply dives into the pond in the 1995 version? He is home and for a moment, carefree.

"...and this is what you think of me..." he says at the end of Lizzie's rejection. He sees himself through the eyes of the one he admires...He knows that he is right and doing the best thing...but in one who's wit he so respects he finds his perfectly honorable actions evaluated as something less than. This sets his brain on fire with irritation and pain having Lizzie who he sees as so perceptive, judging him so harshly. He cannot let go of his position (pride), and trusts her to see his reasonable behaviour reflected in the explanation his letter to her provides. He is hurt and embarrassed and again, at a loss because he couldn't keep all the balls in the air at once. When he discloses himself to Lizzie...he is putting his heart, mind and his inheritance(in its truest sense) all at risk and he is fully aware that he is beyond the rational control that he generally exercises in every aspect of his life. The sheer force of her personality overwhelms all his experience and common sense...He is stunned having exposed himself so plainly to be so violently rebuffed. Basically because he is a bit inept at speaking for his own heart's self interest...which is also embarassing.

Boy, my posts are a bit long...Thanks for tolerating them.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
...remember the release of tension and relaxed state Darcy is in when he simply dives into the pond in the 1995 version? He is home and for a moment, carefree. ...
Thank you for your essay.
You didn't mention what type you thought he was.

In the book, he does not dive into a pond, or practice sword-fighting.
As a matter of fact, we hardly know him at all except for what the housekeeper says, and what he does about Lydia.

Since Austen created him, I think the only true and accurate source of information about him is the book, not the films.