• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jane Austen - Masterpiece Theatre

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Anyone catch Jane Austen Regrets last night? It was really impressive (to me). Much more engaging than the adaptations of her works that came before in this marathon.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I started to watch it, but when commentator said it was basically made up, I was disappointed and decided not to watch it. If it was really good, I suppose I could try to catch it another time.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know a lot about Jane Austen's life, so the made-up parts didn't really bother me! They really did potray her very INTJ-ish, though. It was really about the later part in her life, sort of semi-mirrored through the life of her niece, Fanny. Fanny really idolizes the romance of her books, but it's sort of about how in real life, the love and money are really at odds and don't coalesce. And if Jane Austen's happy about the decisions she's made regarding love. (Taking back her agreement to marry Mr. Bridges is a major one.)

(Does this mean the whole Jane Austen Presents thing is over? I suppose I've got to look it up.)

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
My daughter and I watched the last hour of it and thought it was great. It also featured partner dancing. Jane was brilliantly cast. She really came off as an INTJ. Cassandra and her mother were also excellent.

Jae Rae

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know a lot about Jane Austen's life, so the made-up parts didn't really bother me! They really did portray her very INTJ-ish, though. It was really about the later part in her life, sort of semi-mirrored through the life of her niece, Fanny. Fanny really idolizes the romance of her books, but it's sort of about how in real life, the love and money are really at odds and don't coalesce. And if Jane Austen's happy about the decisions she's made regarding love. (Taking back her agreement to marry Mr. Bridges is a major one.)

(Does this mean the whole Jane Austen Presents thing is over? I suppose I've got to look it up.)
It rund through the end of March, I think. We still have Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth, which is EXCELLENT, and Emma, I think. Right?

Yes -
every Sunday through March 30th from 9 - 11 PM, PBS stations

My daughter and I watched the last hour of it and thought it was great. It also featured partner dancing. Jane was brilliantly cast. She really came off as an INTJ. Cassandra and her mother were also excellent.

Jae Rae
I recorded it because I was watching the Superbowl, but I am going to watch it now, and do some ironing at the same time. Ironing always goes so much faster if I can think about something else while I'm doing it.

I did see a few moments, and I also thought she seemed INTJ. I wonder what she was in real life.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Mousterpiece Theatre?
Monsterpiece Theatre.

Mpiece.alistair.jpg

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I hadn't read Northanger Abbey before seeing it on Monsterpiece. My copy arrived yesterday! :D It was on sale!

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
It is amazing how different the quality of the BBC productions can be. :cry:

My husband went online after watching all six episodes - he has more tolerance than I do - and read some reviews. Most people said it was dull, but faithful to the book. The 1990s version wasn't faithful to the book, but interesting, exciting and well-made. Most people thought the most recent version on MT to be very unsatifying, with Fanny as something of a feral child, which she wasn't written to be. I saw her portrayed as more of a free spirit who followed her heart, unlike all the other characters, even Edmund, who were bound by societal conventions and appreciation of wealth, class and handsomeness.

Jae Rae

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth this week. Alright, but awfully long. Was it just my TV, or was there than weird radio-like narration all through the first scene? I'm interested enough to catch next week, but I'm not really feeling a particular passion for any of the current plotlines. I get why Mr. Darcy is so grumpy all the time. I'm all that critical too, but doesn't he get tired by being so snarly all the time?

heart

heart on fire
The best Masterpiece Theater versions are the ones with multiple parts, rent off of Netflix and watch all day, get totally immersed in the stories. That's my idea of a great time. :)

I enjoyed the Colin Frith version last night very much. I still am very partial to the 2005 version with Keira Knightley, Matthew MacFadyen, and Donald Sutherland. Both versions have their good points and both well worth watching, jmo. I watched the 2005 version on Sat night so I had a good chance to compare both. I love them both! :) I think Sutherland does a better job of playing her father. The first English country dance scene is better in the 2005 version, one of the best parts of the movie, I enjoy the different perspective of Elizabeth rejecting Darcy in the rain, I also enjoy the part where Elizabeth visits his home and all the collected art work.

MacFadyen gets my vote as th handsomer, more appealing Mr. Darcy, but that's just my opinion.