• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

August sports reminder

MBTI Type
INTJ
Make sure you appreciate it, lol. This could be you.

tpf5b_largebk.jpg

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The cities that have had it really bad (in regards to no pro-level rings or very long droughts), IMO, are:

Buffalo: Bills lost in Super Bowl 4 times. I'm not going to check, but I'm fairly certain that the Sabres have never won it all or, if they have, it's been a long time. Clippers were in Buffalo for a stint.

Cleveland: Indians won it some 50+ years ago, but nothing since. Browns have had some heartbreaking losses at the hands of Elway.

Seattle: Supersonics won it once, but are now gone. Mariners, Seahawks have never won.

San Diego: Padres, Chargers, Clips for a stint. No hardware.

New Orleans broke out of their funk last year when the Saints won it.

I don't put Boston or Chicago in this category. Red Sox went a long time without, but the Celtics were cleaning house. Cubs haven't won in a long time, but the Bears, Bulls, and recently the White Sox and Blackhawks won.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
EffemDoubleyou, are you a Philly fan in Los Angeles? Is that tough or not so bad? It's usually New York, Boston, and San Fran that we butt heads with at the ballpark.

Angel games: Boston and New York are the most hated. Fans are too care-free to even care much about Oakland, Texas, Seattle.

Dodger games: San Fran gets some boos. Philly probably has gotten some boos this year since they handed us our rear ends on a silver platter.

NFL: Uhhh, I wouldn't know, I haven't seen the L.A. franchise play in quite a while. :D

Lakers/Clips: Most true Clip fans have made the decision to root against the Lakers it seems. Laker fans tend to dislike any team who is a threat to #1 status.

Ducks/Kings: I've kind of stopped caring, TBH. :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think at this point, Cleveland is the hands-down "winner". If it weren't already sealed, LeBron sealed it.

Buffalo, Seattle and San Diego have good claims, but also have only two pro franchises each (Seattle having lost the Sonics.) I think Cleveland having THREE teams increases the pain, as does the fact that they've been very close and lost under particularly tortured circumstances (Earnest Byner, The Drive, the Jose Mesa meltdown, etc.)

Boston and Chicago belong nowhere within the visible horizon of this dubious honor, even before the Red Sox won in 2004.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think at this point, Cleveland is the hands-down "winner". If it weren't already sealed, LeBron sealed it.

Buffalo, Seattle and San Diego have good claims, but also have only two pro franchises each (Seattle having lost the Sonics.)

Hard to disagree with you. The only reason I throw a city like San Diego in there is because they have NEVER won it. Ever. At least the Indians won it years ago and the old folks in Cleveland can still tell their grandkids about it. LOL. The same cannot be said for San Diego or Buffalo. But, yeah, San Diego is a relatively new sports city.

I think Cleveland having THREE teams increases the pain, as does the fact that they've been very close and lost under particularly tortured circumstances (Earnest Byner, The Drive, the Jose Mesa meltdown, etc.)

Don't forget this:

MBTI Type
INTJ
EffemDoubleyou, are you a Philly fan in Los Angeles? Is that tough or not so bad? It's usually New York, Boston, and San Fran that we butt heads with at the ballpark.

Angel games: Boston and New York are the most hated. Fans are too care-free to even care much about Oakland, Texas, Seattle.

Dodger games: San Fran gets some boos. Philly probably has gotten some boos this year since they handed us our rear ends on a silver platter.

NFL: Uhhh, I wouldn't know, I haven't seen the L.A. franchise play in quite a while. :D

Lakers/Clips: Most true Clip fans have made the decision to root against the Lakers it seems. Laker fans tend to dislike any team who is a threat to #1 status.

Ducks/Kings: I've kind of stopped caring, TBH. :D

It's not particularly tough being a Philly fan here, because LA isn't really as much of a sports town as some of the other cities like Boston, Chicago, New York and Detroit. We also don't have any direct rivalries with LA. The last good one was probably the Laker/Sixer rivalry in the 80s. Laker and Dodger fans are the best the city has, although they can be a little bit fair weather outside the hardcore fans. I was given the business when I wore my Phillies cap to the NLCS clinching game in 2008, but that's to be expected. They seem to especially hate Shane Victorino :D

I've noticed that there are always large groups of the opposing team's fans at most LA sporting events, outside of Laker games. I think it's probably largely due to the fact that like myself, there are many transplants here. Angel/Yankee games are practically like Yankee home games.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, lots of transplants in California (south and north). There's still a whole generation going to ball games who are from New York (and other cities back east). You go to a Yankee-Angel game and you're sitting next to an old man who was born and raised in the Bronx and has lived in So Cal for the last 60 years. You go to a Dodger game and you're sitting next to another old man who was raised in Brooklyn, and followed the Dodgers out to L.A. And if you ask, 9 times out of 10 those two old men would know each other from back in New York. Then you've always got the 19-year-old with a tanktop and his red Yankees cap who has never even set foot in New York City (except that one time he flew there when he was 13), but would make love to Derek Jeter if given the opportunity. :D

I was sitting right behind the Yankee dugout once at an Angel game and they Yanks were just pounding the Angels and it started getting really heated in the stands. Joe Torre and Mel Stottlemyre were leaning up against the dugout railing and a guy behind me yelled at the top of his lungs (the players on the field easily heard it), "Hey Mel, your son SUCKS! Worst pitcher I've ever seen in my life. Can't believe he ever made it to the big leagues. He freakin' SUCKS!"

Mel and Torre both turned around looking to see who it was. It was pretty embarrassing to hear another Angel fan act like that. Way out of hand. But, yeah, more or less L.A. fans are just there to take in some rays and grab a hot dog.