• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Favorite Books From Childhood!

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I've just remembered the "Tomorrow when the war began" series by John Marsden. Of course the last two books in the series actually sucked.
You guys probably won't be familiar unless you are Aussie/NZ.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I read a lot of Dr. Seuss books, if not all of them. I also read the books in the Childcraft series. On my own. I liked reading the dictionary. There was also Curious George, among other things.

Of course, I would also read some Golden Books, but I lost interest in those very soon after learning the basics of how to read.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A best of is really, really hard, but some just get to you more than others.
Some of the first favorite books of the very little herring:

The very hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle
url

Something by Richard Scarry (don't remember the title)
url

I Am Me by Mira Lobe, the story of a little craeture thatis like no other animal and takes a while to learn that that's okay
ichbin1.jpg

later on (Mostly Germans will know these):
b2227379-2aa0-46af-9a19-b79f60484a13.jpg
url

Also Kalle Blomquist (aka Bill Bergson) and Ronia the Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren and Jim Knopf (aka Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver) by Michael Ende.

All of these will one day be read to my future kids, whether they like it or not. Mua hua hau!

Then as I started reading on my own rather than being read to it was mostly adventure stories and/or stories that took place in foreign cultures or different eras with kids being thrown into adult situations. And then there was this collection of real historic adventures (like parts from the log book of Columbus, the story a nobleman who nearly got executed during the French revolution, the report of a doctor who treated the infamous prisoner with the iron mask, etc.)..I loved it.

Edit: Also a youth magazine' s series on science and history (still trying to get my hands on some copies again). And then there was loads of Karl May, Around The World In 80 Days (I loved Phileas Fogg) and The Three Musqueteers by Alexandre Dumas. We three kids used to play musqueteers, I was usually Athos (or Mylady de Winter, she was badass), my sister was Porthos and my brother d' Artagnon. We had no Aramis.

What an oldfashioned childhood that was considering there was Nintendo around already!

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Under ten years of age I liked,

The Amelia Bedelia books:
6a00cd96fe79064cd500d10a75e47c8bfa-500pi.jpeg

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books:
mrs-piggle-wiggle.jpg

Dr. Seuss books:
cat-hat-book.jpg

and Freckle Juice by Judy Blume.
Freckle+Juice.jpg

The Poky Little Puppy
win-pics-poky-little-puppy.jpg

Three Little Kittens
51BFLHcECXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I know there were others, but I can't remember many until my middle school years.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[*]Dummer Hoff
Drummer%2Bdj%2Bcopy
DRUMMER HOFF!! YES! "Drummer Hoff fired it off."

Harold and the Purple Crayon
Caps for Sale

Yes! Loved Harold. Still have my copy. We never had Caps for Sale when I Was kid, but I used to get it from the library all the time. I recently purchased a copy for myself. :)

"You monkeys, you! Give me back my caps!"

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What Your Favorite Kids Book Then Says About You Now
flavorwire.com

So many good ones have already been listed. I also especially loved The Secret Garden and.... The Alice books

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - There are eighteen different kinds of tea in your kitchen, and plenty of herbs.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - You may or may not be that lady who talks to her plants.​

:blush:

O

Oberon

My first favorite book was "Are You My Mother?"

Apparently I read this book / wanted it read to me over and over, so much that my copy was falling apart. My parents got tired of it and somehow managed to conveniently "lose" the book.

... whereupon a family friend bought me a new copy for Christmas that year.

Somehow everyone remained friends.

Thank you, J.

Now I know exactly what to get you for Christmas.

rav3n

Really little, Pippi and George.
When I was able to fluently read on my own:
  • LOTR/hobbit
  • Jane Eyre
  • The Fountainhead
  • Rebecca
  • X-men comics
  • Miller miniseries - The Dark Knight and Electra.
  • Alexandre Dumas novels
  • Anne McCaffrey Sci-fantasy novels.
Yes, I was precocious.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(1) "The Call of the Wild" - by Jack London