• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most disappointing read

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I also forgot my feelings on Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Love in the Time of Cholera"! Maybe it is my T or the fact that I had an obsessive ex fiancee but this book didn't strike me as romantic at all. It gave me the sick feeling of this poor woman being stalked for a lifetime - creepy - made my skin crawl!! :sick:

I am not a fan of Gabriel Garcia Marquez either....

I disliked One Hundred Years of Solitude and never really finished - I skimmed the end, which you can't do with that book. It just didn't touch me though. I think he is a very Ne writer, but it has this almost manic feel. The way he packs a lot of random, crazy stuff into the story and describes it in this blase yet rapid way reminded me a bit of Voltaire's Candide, but that was definitely superior - I got something lasting out of that. IDK, maybe I'm not bright enough to grasp Marquez's novels....

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Catcher in the Rye :sick: fucking whining teenager..... also horrible was Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand in general) and Ulysses annoyed me somehow stylistically as well :thumbdown:

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'm surprised at how many people don't like The Grapes of Wrath. It's one of my favorite books.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
'A Theory of Justice' by John Rawls, the most boring person of the 20th century: Nothing, spread over 600 pages.

:laugh: ...so true.

But, to be a bit more objective, it wasn't nothing spread over 600 pages.

It was a thought experiment that I devised when I was about six years old spread over 600 pages...

"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck put me to sleep.

oh man. steinbeck is pretty boring.

I tried to give Steinbeck a chance.

Not that I wouldn't again, but I just found him boring.

i grimaced my way through quite a few really boring books in highschool, like any of jane austin's soupy garbage.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who can't stand Jane Austen.

Her style was, simply put: god-awful.

Everything I've read by Ernest Friggin' Hemingway. RRRGH!

I have to agree. I tried to like him, but I just can't get into his writing.

Agreed. I did read a couple of his short stories, though, and found them more palatable than the novels.

I hate how he writes women. Like he's never met one.

The only Hemingway I really like is "A Farewell to Arms"... it's one of my favorite books... can't see how one (at least a male) couldn't love it... I haven't been able to get into much else, though...

American Psycho, I think scarred me for life...one of those books I couldn't stop reading, but it was very traumatic for me. I had nightmares for months after wards. Very graphic and not for sensitive souls. I think I burnt it (and I don't believe in censorship and burning of books) after wards, I felt so dirty and impure after reading it. Really needed a few more warnings on the cover or in the synopsis. And yes I know it was a metaphor, but still...

Coming from an INTJ, and someone who's not afraid of dark or morbid things, I have to say, I found American Psycho extremely difficult to read as well. It could have been partially due to the mental space I was in when I was reading it, but I just found it very difficult to bear.

It wasn't that though. I just got this feeling the guy wasn't writing to truly challenge anyone or truly provoke thought. I found his style really blunt and lazy. I felt the author manipulating me, hence it just took away from any experience of a story.

I completely disagree with this sentiment, however.

I thought the entire purpose of American Psycho was to challenge the reader and provoke thought...

dan clown is nothing more than a petty airport-novel author.

i didn't read the davinci code because i read angels and demons first and decided that the author is a spineless hack, thusly his books deserve no attention from me.

:yes: ...wholeheartedly agree.

Catcher in the Rye :sick: fucking whining teenager...

Yeah, well, you're one of the fake Fe-users he's complaining about, so... :newwink:

...also horrible was Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand in general)...

Dear Ms. Rand: how about you hit me over the head over and over again with your simple-minded philosophy until I'm nearly as retarded as you are?

I stopped reading at page 30.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
The Great Gatsby.

I read it because I had to, plus it was an easy read, bleh, not that awesome at all.

I don't read books I don't enjoy, therefore I don't really understand the concept of this thread.

I usually know within the first couple pages if I'm gonna like an author/book.

So... yeah.

:)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I found 'American Psycho' terribly boring.

Hmmmm, have you read any other of Ellis' other novels/short stories?

"Less than Zero" is one of my favorite novels.

:heart: + :sad:

Also, "The Rules of Attraction" was pretty fucking awesome, witty, smart, hilarious, and just plain enjoyable.

Ellis is an odd duck.

You can actually see his descent into nihilism through his works.

I stopped reading him at Glamorama.

I just couldn't do it anymore.

"Less than Zero" is so pure and good, though.

I was raised in Los Angeles, private-schooled as well, and in this book especially, you see/feel his intense sensitivity to the inherent horrors to the world.

I haven't read this book in years, (I lent my last copy out to my half-sister)

It, along with "Catcher in the Rye", is one of the few novels that have made me bawl whilst reading it.

So good, too good.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Grapes of Wrath :zzz:

Nicodemus

The Great Gatsby.

I read it because I had to, plus it was an easy read, bleh, not that awesome at all.

I don't read books I don't enjoy, therefore I don't really understand the concept of this thread.

I usually know within the first couple pages if I'm gonna like an author/book.

So... yeah.

:)
I am sorry, but 'The Great Gatsby' is almost perfect. It is a short story long, with all its merits and very, very few flaws.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The Talented Mr. Ripley.

I may just end up selling it, because it's a pain to read. Probably written by an istp.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
"Mysterious Monoments" by Texe Marrs. I bought it thinking, oh, maybe this is something that actually seriously categorises the topic but it's just a bunch of random clippings. E.g. Here's Kevin Spacey making the sign of the devil, and here's American beauty queen also making same sign but she's a good Christian girl so when she does it, it's ok. I felt really silly and I returned it and got my money back.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
For all the people longing for a disappointing read: a story I write when I was seven years old. It's about vampires. I translated it, but I kept the spelling and grammar mistakes.

The horrorcastle
in the horrorcastle a ladie is running.
help! help!, she screams.
a ghost, a bloodghost!
then a drakula came.
bite! he got her.
mmm..., the drakula thought.
the ladie is dead.
there comes a fake drakula!
the real drakula disappears.
but the fake drakula can still hear him.
hahaha!, the real drakula thinks.