• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Share your favorite Music

Apollonian

MBTI Type
INTJ
What music do you enjoy? From folk metal to country to baroque and back again, what songs, symphonies, or artists do you enjoy?

The ultierior motive here is that I received a bunch of iTunes gift cards over the holidays, and I'm looking to spend them. :D Alas, I find myself at a loss, and I am looking for suggestions. My collection pretty much has most of the genres represented so far (except for rap and hip-hop which I can't really appreciate on account of having almost no rhythm).

If anyone has any good recommendation for some good string-quartets, or other Baroque/Classical music, that would be great.

I'm also looking for some good folk music, alternative, or techno. (I need some good ambient music to listen to while coding).

To start things off, here is a list that I usually post on other profile sites:

John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Mozart, Vivaldi, World-beat, Twelve Girls band, Bach, 311, Green Day, DC Talk, Newsboys, Led Zepellin, Queen, Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Legend of Zelda (I have a collection), and a plethora of other eclectic selections

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a little hazy on genres, but here goes...I'm gonna go for artists, not specific songs....

Folk-esque (?) music: Gordon Lightfoot, Burton Cummings, Joni Mitchell, Great Big Sea

Sometimes classical-sounding prog rock: Genesis (huge range though), Le Orme, Martin Orford (hard to find), ELP, the Strawbs, IQ (probably my favourite band)

Random favourites, mostly rock-ish, mostly well-known, I think: Metallica, Andy McKee (neat pure guitar stuff), Beatles, Billy Joel, CCR, Deep Purple, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, RHCP, Santana, Steve Hackett, Sublime, Rush, Yes, Anathema

I :wubbie: led zeppelin, too.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hmmm... you're music tastes are kinna different from mine! :laugh: I guess I could point out some stuff that you'd never thought of listening to though! :yes:

you may enjoy the soundtrack to Everything Is Illuminated- it has quite a few bands that I'm quite fond of on it! :)

You may like Leningrad (can't type in in the cyrillic alphabet here :( )
The Gypsy Kings
Gogol Bordello
Seu Jorge
Manu Chao

And being deeply in love with Irish music I wouldn't be myself if not advocating
The Pogues
The Dubliners
Stiff Little Fingers
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys (American Boston Irish)

ummm... yeah... I guess I'll stop there! :laugh:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I just used my Christmas iTunes! Here's what I bought:

The new Radiohead SUCK IT FMWARNER
Manu Chao, La Radiolina (nice, but I like his older stuff better I think)
Dire Straights self-titled (pre-Money for Nothing, nice bluesy feel)
Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Mastodon, Leviathan
LCD Sound System, Sound of Silver
Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank

file cabinet

do you already know of electronica artists you like? What is your definition of ambient?

My INTJ roommate likes Gabriel & Dresden:
MySpace.com - Gabriel & Dresden - SAN FRANCISCO, US - Electronica / Pop / Progrsv House - www.myspace.com/gabrielanddresden
He also likes deadmau5 (listen to Faxing Berlin):
MySpace.com - deadmau5 - Toronto, CA - Other / Electronica - www.myspace.com/deadmau5

Hernan Cattaneo seems sort of ambient:
MySpace.com - Hernan Cattaneo - Buenos Aires - House - www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo

For the above two DJ's, I'd recommend downloading their sets (probably not available on iTunes) rather then their individual tracks.

I would consider the older Aphex Twin or Authechre (Amber) albums ambient.

I like the modern classical composer Ernest Bloch (and others but can't remember offhand).

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
I am too lazy to list my favorite music, but this should show you what I have been listening to - most in the last year or so - on my PC.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a punk-rock/new wave/rockabilly kind of girl which means I like a little of everything really. ha ha!

new:Gary Allan, Dwight Yoakim, Reba McEntire, Type O Negative, the Living End (for those who like Green Day), Spiderbait, the Infrareds, Prodigy, the Freestylers, the Gipsy Kings

relatively old school: u2, the Clash, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Spoons, David Bowie, the Pistols, Brian Setzer, Fleetwood Mac, ZZTop, the Pretenders, Duran Duran, Billy Idol, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Run DMC, the Misfits, ELO, Olivia Newton-John, the Psychedelic Furs, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Cure, Depeche Mode, Aaron Copland, Lynyrd Skynryd

way old school: Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Ricky Nelson, Etta James, my man Eddie Cochran :wubbie:, Gene Vincent, Waylon Jennings, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash

super-duper way old school: Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, big band, western swing, Tin Pan Alley stuff like the Gershwins and Johnny Mercer

hangin' with the dinosaurs old ;): Dvorak, Debussey, Vivaldi, Saint-Saens, Bach (not so much Beethoven as I find his stuff "note-y" or Mozart, who's just a bit of a musical spazz)

girlnamedbless

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I listen to way too many bands to list, but my current favorite band is Sixx:A.M. Listen to "Van Nuys" or "Life is Beautiful." I think they have some great lyrics and a cool sound.
I'm mostly a hard rock/alternative junkie though, so check out my last.fm profile for that.

EsoteriEccentri

MBTI Type
INFP
I like music from all sorts of different genres, (goth rock, darkwave, deathrock, EBM, future pop, dream pop, shoegaze, ethereal, industrial, electro, alternative, agrotech, powernoise, even some visual kei, metal and rock - though only a little)
I have far too many "favourite" bands to list, but the one band that is, and always will be, on my favorites is the Cruxshadows.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm a punk-rock/new wave/rockabilly kind of girl which means I like a little of everything really. ha ha!

new:Gary Allan, Dwight Yoakim, Reba McEntire, Type O Negative, the Living End (for those who like Green Day), Spiderbait, the Infrareds, Prodigy, the Freestylers, the Gipsy Kings

relatively old school: u2, the Clash, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Spoons, David Bowie, the Pistols, Brian Setzer, Fleetwood Mac, ZZTop, the Pretenders, Duran Duran, Billy Idol, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Run DMC, the Misfits, ELO, Olivia Newton-John, the Psychedelic Furs, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Cure, Depeche Mode, Aaron Copland, Lynyrd Skynryd

way old school: Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Ricky Nelson, Etta James, my man Eddie Cochran :wubbie:, Gene Vincent, Waylon Jennings, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash

super-duper way old school: Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, big band, western swing, Tin Pan Alley stuff like the Gershwins and Johnny Mercer

hangin' with the dinosaurs old ;): Dvorak, Debussey, Vivaldi, Saint-Saens, Bach (not so much Beethoven as I find his stuff "note-y" or Mozart, who's just a bit of a musical spazz)
Very good taste (from "relatively old school" and down, as I do not know of the bands up top much). :headphne:

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Excellent. As your twin, I approve of this list ( as it is also my taste), and usurp it for myself! AHA! Now I don't have to bother typing my own.

Clever me.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
;) forgot Fats Waller with your super-duper way old school! :)

anyone who's kidnapped by Al Capone to play at his b-day party has my vote! :rofl1:

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
;) forgot Fats Waller with your super-duper way old school! :)

anyone who's kidnapped by Al Capone to play at his b-day party has my vote! :rofl1:

NO WAY! That would be terrifying, and awesome all at the same time. :D

I have some Fats Waller, actually. And again, this is why we shall never divorce.

:X

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ooohh... we could have an Elvis impersonator sing Fats Waller's "ain't misbehavin' " at the reception! :wubbie:

never, ever divorce my dear good music taste laden wifey! ;)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to be the happiest SIL ever! :D *beams* *hugs Elvis* *runs from Al Capone*

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm obsessed with Interpol, and you should check them out--listen to either Turn On The Bright Lights or Our Love To Admire first if we're talking albums. Interpol is somewhat difficult to get into, especially if you start with Turn On The Bright Lights, but give them time and you'll turn around.You can check out some of Interpol's Our Love stuff on MySpace. The Heinrich Maneuver, Mammoth, No I In Threesome, and Pioneer To The Falls are all good samplings, with the last two being the better ones.

My tastes vary over various kinds of indie/alternative stuff: The Secret Machines, Jimmy Eat World, At The Drive-In, Sparta, Mew, The Dillinger Escape Plan, August Burns Red, From Autumn To Ashes, Chevelle, Vaux, As Tall As Lions, Wilco, Sigur Ros, Fugazi, Belle & Sebastian, Arcade Fire, Keane, and Explosions In The Sky.

heykitten

MBTI Type
INFP

Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Mastodon, Leviathan
RAWR. I dig your playlist, lady.

The Clientele, The Concretes, Death Cab, Arcade Fire, Stars, Feist, The Brunettes, of Montreal, PJ Harvey, Luna, Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton, Metic, Rilo Kiley, Broken Social Scene, Joanna Newsom, LCD Soundsystem, Panda Bear, Andrew Bird etc have all been on heavy rotation lately.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm obsessed with Interpol, and you should check them out--listen to either Turn On The Bright Lights or Our Love To Admire first if we're talking albums. Interpol is somewhat difficult to get into, especially if you start with Turn On The Bright Lights, but give them time and you'll turn around.You can check out some of Interpol's Our Love stuff on MySpace. The Heinrich Maneuver, Mammoth, No I In Threesome, and Pioneer To The Falls are all good samplings, with the last two being the better ones.

My tastes vary over various kinds of indie/alternative stuff: The Secret Machines, Jimmy Eat World, At The Drive-In, Sparta, Mew, The Dillinger Escape Plan, August Burns Red, From Autumn To Ashes, Chevelle, Vaux, As Tall As Lions, Wilco, Sigur Ros, Fugazi, Belle & Sebastian, Arcade Fire, Keane, and Explosions In The Sky.
Pretty good list there, as well.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Mastodon, Leviathan

That Mastodon album rules.

'Iron Tusk' :bananallama: