• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Comfort Movies, Music, TV, etc.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Recently, I've been going through a lot of life changes and in doing so, I've been introducing a lot of new stimulation in my life in reference to movies, music, television, art, etc. Still, there are just some tried and true things I return to every so often that wrap around me like a warm security blanket. They either remind me of an important time in my past, or childhood, or get me in touch with some important principle/life lesson I need to be close to.

Hence, I don't access these things all the time. The less I access them, the stronger the connection remains to that 'warm fuzzy' feeling. Some stuff evolves as I evolve in life, but some remains the same.

The original A-Team television series is one of those things. It's almost like it hooks me right into my childhood thirst for adventure and helping others, how it made me believe anything is possible (like making cannonballs out of cabbages for instance...). The adult in me has new perspective on the preposterousness of that show but somehow I just don't care. I just feel so damn happy when I watch it.

Trainspotting, both the film and the soundtrack. This movie came along at a time in my life when I was breaking out of this confining shell of being who everyone else wanted me to be and finally putting an end to this belief that I could not change unless other people let me. They didn't show this film in many places at the time, so I literally made pilgrimages to the crappiest theaters just to be able to see it, once I walked over nine miles in the rain to a place that only had it over a weekend. Any time I start doubting myself and get scared to disappoint others, I watch that film and suddenly I remember the fierce determination of my teenage self to stick to who I am.

Those are just a couple of examples. I was just wondering if any of you all have things like this and if they're not too precious to share (which, I understand if they are. I don't usually share these sorts of things all the time myself as I admit I have that strong INFJ tendency to guard, guard, guard those inner talismans and symbolic things).

So if you'd like to share, please do! :D

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I watch Contact when I feel not so hot.

I also reread His Dark Materials, it's one of my favorites, partly because the end is soul crushingly depressing. Don't really know why I like things like that, but I do.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Legally Blonde and Clueless never cease to cheer me up... I also occasionally throw in Animal House, The Breakfast Club and the Back to the Future movies :cheese:

reading fairy tales is also rather cheering :blush:

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
When I was single and not having the best luck with dating I'd watch He's Just Not That Into You... It used to make me laugh and cry at the same time because I felt like the leading actress in that. I'd argue until I was blue in the face and my BFF at the time was like Justin Long in it... He'd tell me I was wrong. :eek:uch:

My go to movie for a distraction from the world is Boondock Saints, just something about that movie always makes me forget about life.:happy2:

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oh my gosh... Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, and Voyager have gotten me through many rough times. I used to struggle a lot with anxiety and panic attacks, and for some reason it's started up again recently (although not as severely as when I was younger, thank God). There was a long period of time when I HAD to watch an episode of Star Trek before going to bed, or I'd be so anxious I couldn't sleep, and maybe even have a panic attack. The two recent times I've had panic attacks (one last night :( :(), the only thing that calmed me down was watching Star Trek episodes until I fell asleep on the couch, and then I was able to go up to bed and sleep once I'd already been sleeping there.

Because of this history, even when I'm not having anxiety problems, watching ST comforts me. If I have a bad day, it helps to spend some time with my favorite characters and escape from my real life for awhile. (Not that my real life is bad. I'm generally happy. But we all need to escape, sometimes!)

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Usually, my comfort things just enhance certain moods.
P.S. I Love You and Amelie are examples. Oh, actually, i suppose horror is my main comfort genre. I can think of far too many movies that i would cycle back over in a heartbeat if i was on a downbeat.

Music does depend. A lot of my music can make me feel exceptionally good or enhance a dark mood. A lot of indie things or eccentric artists.
Company of Thieves, Amanda Palmer, Cat Power, Metric, The Stills, The Weepies, The Perishers, Bat For Lashes, etc. They all have a certain vibe that i get lost in.

TV :laugh:. Vampire Diaries, Hannah Montana, Degrassi, Fringe, Dexter, True Blood.
I do miss Pushing Daisies. That was an amazingly good comfort show.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Books: Cosmos, Walden

Movies: Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Rear Window, The Commitments

TV Shows: The Simpsons, The Twilight Zone, Cheers

Music: R.E.M., The Police, Genesis

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Forensic Files makes me all warm and fuzzy, always has.

Seriously, I've been watching it since I was eight years old.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I've never really had a movie that sincerely brightened my day, but now I got one thanks to someone who's got a much brighter personality than mine.

I would like to recommend:
Yeopgijeogin geunyeo (My Sassy Girl)

I heard, and read from the reviews, that the Korean (original) version is ten times better. So I didn't bother to check to out the american copy.

N

NPcomplete

Movies: The Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain

Books: Le Petit Prince or some gory manga

Music: Andrew Bird, Florence and the Machine, soundtracks (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain, The Lion King)

TV shows: Doctor Who, House (the old seasons though), Bones, some shows from Food Network (excluding the reality tv ones which I strongly dislike)