• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying The Artist's Way

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
[size=-1]*Alright, try not to think it as getting sloppy seconds from INTPCentral but I thought I'd post this here as well as other types besides INTP's may be more likely to give this a go.*[/size]

Several years ago I received a book called The Artist's Way. Heard of it? It's supposed to help improve creative productivity. Some things it purports seem worthwhile, others, meh, whatever, don't care so much about but if it makes me a better writer, then I'm down for it. A few people I've talked to over the years enjoyed the book and thought it was useful but weren't really able to give much detail.

It's somewhat of a workbook. There are questions and exercises throughout. I did go through the first chapter years ago and thought it was pretty sound. I still do the Morning Pages (3 pages of free writing each morning) about six days a week. For whatever reason, I never got around to finishing the book. (Oh yeah, I'm an INTP:doh:)

It's actually set up for people to be able to do as a group. I was thinking about hosting a group, as that could be a way to really hold my feet to the fire. On the other hand, I don't need a commitment just to fill a commitment. I was hoping to find out how worthwhile it may've been. Here's a brief lowdown from a place that offers it as a 12-week course. NFW would I pay $375 to take it as a class, (another reason why I would host a group), but still, time is the commodity of which I am most concerned and 12 weeks can be a heck of a commitment.

The subtitle of the book is A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity. It doesn't do anything like try to profess what religion is right or, from what I've seen, start to lecture people as to how "good" of a member of your chosen religion one would need to be. It's pretty much written in the [insert your favorite deity __here] manner. It seems to acknowledge people having an inner spirit and possessing a need to connect or express that comes from an internal drive.

Has anyone gone through the book alone or with a group? What is your chosen means of artistic expression? What about others of your group? Would musicians, actors and painters find it as beneficial as writers? As some creative challenges may not be relevant to different types of artists, would you recommend or discourage various artistic types mixing?

Finally, were you able to go through the course in 12 weeks straight? Even though it's designed that way, is that overly ambitious? If you did it as a group, how big was your core? What would you think would be an ideal group size? Not counting meetings, how much time would you spend working on the book each week? Last thing I want no matter how helpful in theory would be for something to suck up all my time for writing.

Any other thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks!
:cheers:

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have read the book and tried a few of the exercises, mostly smiling and nodding at the advice, but never had the urge to follow the programme completely. Some of the exercises would, I am afraid, just make me feel ridiculous, like the doll-making exercise. (Sometimes I think I must have killed my inner child when I was a teenager--I feel like I must be dignified all the time.) However, someday I would like to do the whole book and see how it would change my productivity and artistic self-esteem.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I've tried to work through it several times, but I lacked the discipline to do the morning pages, and I always ended up getting distracted.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I haven't read the book myself but I know of a few women who read it and highly recommended it. This was in the context of organizing and arts tour and one of the women who loved the book is a published poet and has edited an anthology of essays.

I would definitely encourage you to go through the steps -- and report back!

Also, 'Letters To A Young Artist' is supposed to be helpful as well.

I think a lot of times, people don't know where to start with 'living as an artist' or 'artistry'. It's like it just happens and/or you have to be crazy or indigent to be an authentic artist.

A lot of people trying to fulfill their artistic potential, IMHO are really lazy and don't realize the importance of structure and discipline in their craft. And it is a craft, not spontaneous combustion.

Or else are just lost, I mean, it's almost like a secret society to be considered and live as An Artist.

But as for laziness, I cite writers. I include myself in this. A lot of writers spend more time talking about writing or why they are NOT writing as opposed to actually writing anything.

Good luck!

I may join you. I have a gift card from Borders just burning a hole in my pocket.

And I definitely encourage creative types of all sorts to mix as well as create work or support groups for specific mediums. Any kind of insight or experience or understanding can only add to your art.

alicia91

I have this book and have attempted it twice. I have a good friend who recommended it and she found it extremely helpful. I just can't get into it. I find myself getting annoyed by the exercises and I absolutely hate writing. There were a couple of things in it that I thought were worthwhile including the concept of the "Artist Date" - I still take time to do that once in a while.

Do you all think that this book has a strong N-vibe and may be more attractive to them? Or maybe it's just that I've got too much T - 60/40?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Who is the patron of the arts?
Dionysos.. or Apollo?

Seven layers of sand they dug in Troy.
They did not dig deep enough.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
*chokes* I just picked up the book yesterday at a used book sale on campus... for 50 cents.

Have not seen your thread until now. What coincidences ha!

Haven't started reading it yet... I suppose it's doable in 12 weeks... otherwise they probably wouldn't have marketed it that way. I can start this weekend and report back.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm actually going to start next week. Prolly Thursday, if not next Saturday. I think I'm going to set something up online, like a blog for people to post in. Get a few people to go through it together w/out having to be all together. We can get each other's back and prolly get more out of the exercises.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Sounds good spartan... I've just started reading... Did my first morning pages this morning. I can see how group motivation is going to be needed to get through those 12 weeks.