• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inception

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
qrwRq.png

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Just saw this today, so I can finally read this thread. :D

I loved it. A lot. Agree with all of tesla's typings.

Mole

Permabanned
Detail, Pattern and Screaming

IBM tells me that when we get information overload, we get pattern recognition.

And all the details of the three levels of dream in Inception is information overload. So what is the pattern?

I am driven mad by members rehearsing the details of Inception over and over and never seeming to reach a pattern.

But what is worse is that I have seen the pattern and described it here. But it makes no difference.

I am still drowning in detail, in information overload.

I could just scream but no one can hear me.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Saw this movie today with my INTP friend. While this was his second time seeing it, I was all like "ok so how is it possible to connect dreams again"? What did you guys think of the movie? thoughts?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Threads from SP Arthouse and A&E merged

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Victor- the topic of trance did come up in a conversation I had with my husband about the movie yesterday. It's not the only angle we're talking about the movie from, though. It was just thoroughly enjoyable on so many different levels, because of the many different kinds of discussions it spawns.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ehh, I didn't really like it. I thought that it fell dismally short of what it tried to achieve in metaphysical profundity, and tried to make up for it with too much audio and sound effects. The awesome visual effects weren't enough to redeem it for me, and although Leonardo put in a good showing and basically carried the movie, it's obvious he's not quite on his game.

Mole

Permabanned
Victor- the topic of trance did come up in a conversation I had with my husband about the movie yesterday. It's not the only angle we're talking about the movie from, though. It was just thoroughly enjoyable on so many different levels, because of the many different kinds of discussions it spawns.

Yes, in the movie they used the word 'dream'. They never used the word 'trance'.

But the difference between a dream and a trance is that a trance is a waking dream.

Or sometimes they say, a trance is halfway between waking and dream.

And whereas it is probably impossible to design a dream, it is quite possible and desirable to design a trance.

In fact the 'dreams' in the movie were all designed and so were trances rather than dreams.

However the 'dreams' in the movie were so fantastic and silly, they gave very little information about how to design a trance.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
One way to design a trance is to make a movie.

Mole

Permabanned
One way to design a trance is to make a movie.

Quite so.

And I like movie trances so much I go and see all the movies as they come out.

Fortunately I go easily into a trance and am completely involved.

In fact when I take someone to the movies I warn them that for about fifteen minutes after the movie ends, I am still in the movie trance. And the appropriate way to speak to me for fifteen minutes after the movie ends is to speak to me as though I were a little child.

I find this is a great test for some, as I never really trust anyone who can't or won't speak to me as a little child for fifteen minutes after the movie ends.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm the same way- I love a movie trance, and if a movie fails to put me into a proper trance it has failed as a movie, IMO. But if it does, it also takes me some time to shake off the trance state after the movie has ended. I don't want anyone deflating that prematurely for me by pointing out details that bothered them or questioning the movie logic. Later, I'm more than game for those kinds of discussions- but let me sit with it for a bit first.

Some have said that Inception is about the art of making movies, putting viewers into a trance and taking them for a ride, like Cobb et. al. took Fischer for a ride. He experienced a real catharsis during his ride, though all of the elements of it were completely manufactured. Just like movies can inspire us and give us a real sense of catharsis.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For movies in the theater I enjoyed, one thing I like to do is sit and watch the entire credits through. It's part of remaining in the trance. Even after, I'm still lost in where I was.

And one thing I loathe is when people start talking at me as soon as the movie ends, shattering my trance; usually I just want to be left alone until I come out of myself and am ready to reengage.

On the way home from the first time I saw Inception, my IxTJ friend started complaining about how the time sequencing wasn't exactly right, and we almost got into a fight over it and had to stop talking for a minute -- I was still wanting to be immersed in trance mode, while she just had the whole movie experience apparently ruined for her because the time scale mentioned at one point in the movie (5 minutes = 1 hour, or 1 week = 6 months = 10 years) did not carry through in the actual plotting linearly and she was bitching about it. (Freaking Te'ers! To me, it was just a technicality since the gist was still the same, or perhaps the "mistake" was just something I didn't correctly grasp myself.)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Not long after I got home from watching Inception I downloaded and watched Shutter Island. It was mentioned in a conversation I had with someone about Inception. I think I enjoyed Shutter Island a lot more because I was still somewhat in the Inception trance from earlier that day (or at least so fresh from coming out of it that I easily slipped back in when I watched Shutter Island).

I really enjoyed Leonardo DiCaprio in both of those movies. I haven't always appreciated him as an actor- he looked so young for so long, I think it was difficult to "buy" his performances. Now that he's finally looking middle-aged I'm finding him more believable (and, incidentally, more handsome as well, though he's still not really my "type").

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol... you and I are on the same page here... except I haven't yet seen Shutter Island but hope to at some point soon. I felt (finally!) like he actually was a man in Inception... and yes, he's really cute by conventional standards but I feel nothing really for him.

*waiting for Victor to chime in*

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Definitely see Shutter Island. I think you'll enjoy it. It's an interesting blend of tropes. It requires two viewings IMO. Inception seems like it would sustain many more than two, but I think I got everything I could get out of Shutter Island in two viewings.

Mole

Permabanned
Waking Up

...if a movie fails to put me into a proper trance it has failed as a movie...

Sure, a movie succeeds or fails on whether it suspends our disbelief.

And all a trance does is suspend our disbelief so that we will accept anything that is suggested.

And what is even more interesting is that there are levels of trance, or trances within trance. So that when we get down to about the fourth level, it appears to be reality.

So that there is the truth and the Truth with a capital T. And the religious speak often of the Truth. This is because successful religion induces trances within trances down to the fourth level, which appears as more truer than true. In other words we discover religious Truth with a capital T at the fourth level.

For instance, transubstantiation is True at the fourth level, but is patent nonsense when we are fully awake.

And successful poetry operates at the fourth level. And interestingly so does good music.

This throws an interesting light on those who are seeking the Truth. For what they are seeking is deep trance.

Deep trance can be relaxing and refreshing but our critical faculties are asleep in deep trance and so we are open to exploitation.

And some religions and cults are not above manipulating and controlling and exploiting their members.

So while it is important to learn how to enter a trance, it is more important to learn how to wake up.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Will be seeing this movie tonight!! woot!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just saw it. I thought it was awful. Another brilliant idea ruined by all the Hollywood bollocks.
And who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to cast Juno as an architect? That was just the worst bit of casting ever. DiCaprio was pretty uneven too. FX were impressive, but the script was dire and it was horribly clunky when it dealt with psychological themes. I felt like I was watching someone play a shoot-em-up RPG. Boring and never really engaging.
Pity.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
aint read the whole thread but am I the only one who didn't enjoy it I walked out towards the end, the concept is nice but I thought that they could have done more with it in my humble opinion agree or disagree people ?