• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inception

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I saw the midnight premiere last night, and what a fucking phenomenal movie. Rotten tomatoes only gives it a 73% by top critics, but that just goes to show how well sticks fit up the asses of the artistically "elite."

The ending was absolutely fantastic; I can't think of a better way to have wrapped it up. You must go see this movie.

Cobb (Dicaprio): ESTP
Arthur (Lovett): ISTJ
Ariadne (Page): INTP
Eames: ENTP
Saito: INTJ
Robert Fischer Jr: ISFP
Mal: INFP
Yusuf: INTP

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, now I gotta see it.

I wasn't sure about diCaprio, he's been hit-or-miss... but Christopher Nolan is a fave of mine. I typically like any movie he does (even the somewhat conventional Insomnia remake)... and The Prestige is one of my top ten faves.

KDude

i was gonna check it out in a couple of hours. 73% on RT isn't too bad though.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Yeah 73% by top critics isn't too bad, but I think it deserves better. Most of the critics' complaints are that it's too "intellectually convoluted" and not "emotionally engaging." It's like the critics are pissed that somebody tried to make a mind-boggling, philosophical thriller, rather than just one filled with action-packed shooting scenes. Nolan does something novel, adding a twist to teh generic action film, and I think those who are criticizing are just too stuck in the frame of mind of what a thriller "ought to be" based on past films that define this genre. God-forbid it make you actually *think*...

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
I saw this last night and I must say... wow.

I'm a little hesitant to call it mainstream entertainment because I don't think just anybody could follow the plot and if you miss the depth of it then it would not seem quite as good. I agree with teslashock that it deserves a better score on RT... the negative reviews say things like

"Inception is a nightmare for audiences looking for coherent fiction" and "It's hard to connect with a movie when it tries so hard to fool you; is this a dream, is it not, is it a dream within a dream? Who cares? Just commit to something and get on with it. A crushing bore."

...who it seems are either not quick enough themselves to follow the plot or don't appreciate the changing character dynamics, which doesn't make any sense to me because that's a big part of what makes this movie so great!

If you can wrap your head around what's going on and why and keep up with the character shifts, you'll find a mindblowing masterpiece and what I think is easily the best movie of 2010.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw the midnight premiere last night, and what a fucking phenomenal movie. Rotten tomatoes only gives it a 73% by top critics, but that just goes to show how well sticks fit up the asses of the artistically "elite."

The ending was absolutely fantastic; I can't think of a better way to have wrapped it up. You must go see this movie.

It was quite good. I loved it... left me a little disoriented for a while after because I got a little too into it. :laugh:

As for the types, I'd say you're spot on for most. I had trouble typing Cobb, but ESTP sounds like a good fit now that you mention it.
Eames was definitely an ENTP... he was hilarious. His interaction with Arthur was amusing... but I would actually guess Arthur was an ISTP.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

Oh, man---I don't think I belong to the artistically "elite", but I have to agree with the critics on this one. I would give it about a 75% approval rating.

Not a BAD movie by any means, but not great.

Yeah, these sound pretty good. :yes:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't seen it, but I want to.

The film looks intrigueing in its own right, and then there's the fact that Christopher Nolan has heretofore been incapable of doing wrong.

I'm sure my dad will get on pirating it as soon as possible.

G

Ginkgo

Agreed on your typings, though towards the end I started to wonder if Ariadne was an INFJ, just based on her insights into Cobb's character. Whatever, she's still a quintessential Architect, and Arthur was the quintessential ISTJ.

Throughout this movie, I couldn't stop thinking about Jungian Archetypes and dream analysis. "The waters of the subconscious", landing you upon a shore "where you could create your own world and become a god" sounds like some of Jung's writing.

Sorry, don't mean to spoil anything.

I really don't think the makers were trying to confuse you, I think they were trying to create meaning in complexity. For such an intricate plot, I was impressed not to see any inconsistencies other than one that baffled me at the end.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Arthur a quintessential ISTJ? I dunno... that elevator scene was SP improvising at it's finest ;)

G

Ginkgo

^ Arthur a quintessential ISTJ? I dunno... that elevator scene was SP improvising at it's finest ;)

*SPOILER ALERT BEEP BEEP BEEP*

--------------------------------------------------------------

He seemed very reluctant about inception because it had yet to be proven. Throughout the entire movie, he was averse to taking any chances, and he threw a tantrum once he realized the risks they were taking in the dream layers. Very SJ mentality, specifically Si Te needing to concretely "prove" a theory before following along. His improv there was pretty creative, but he had to do something to make sure everything ran smoothly. He was the most dependable character, the rock, the pillar, etc. ISTJ.

Cobb, on the other hand, was willing to take any chances, and make any negotiations with Saito to fulfill his goals. He knew the risks involved with the unstable dream mechanics and his fitful subconscious and still took a dive.

Which reminds me - I appreciate the fact that they didn't go techno-babble mode with the dream technology. They could have really ruined it, but they subtly slipped that concept under the radar for the audience to appreciate the abstract dream theme.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Not reading this thread, in fear that I'll accidentally skim a spoiler; but I am going to see the movie tomorrow and I'm REALLY looking forward to it. I don't get all that excited about films too often. I've heard only good things so far.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

I like watching Nolan movies and finding the similarities in his style. Actually just watched Memento last night and love the way he plays with the structure and sequence of reality/realities, in both movies.

In this movie, I like how he didn't really give you too many anchors into the "waking" world. There wasn't really mention of settings, dates, there were just details. Seems to help make the waking reality seem more arbitrary and less privileged.

I think Ariadne might be INFJ...her insight as to the importance of Cobb's emotional baggage isn't necessarily something I think an INTP would really even consider or take into account.

All the rest look good though. Didn't see enough out of Saito to really get a good handle on him.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I really don't think the makers were trying to confuse you, I think they were trying to create meaning in complexity. For such an intricate plot, I was impressed not to see any inconsistencies other than one that baffled me at the end.

What, may I ask baffled you at the end as an inconsistency? Just the spinnin top? (If you're worried about plot spoilers, just give a spoil alert and then change your font color to white.)

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
SPOILERS

Meh, 2 stars. It's incredibly exposition-y, the characters repeatedly state the incredibly obvious in case you didn't catch it the first time, it wastes the possibilities of dream logic. And darn if it isn't downright corny without having anything particularly interesting to say. Too concerned with its own rules (and self-important, in case the bombastic music ever let you forget it) to remember to make much character logic or make you care.

But there's cool anti-gravity/twirling hotel scenes. *shrug* Peaks at the mirror/bridge scene.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
He seemed very reluctant about inception because it had yet to be proven. Throughout the entire movie, he was averse to taking any chances, and he threw a tantrum once he realized the risks they were taking in the dream layers. Very SJ mentality, specifically Si Te needing to concretely "prove" a theory before following along. His improv there was pretty creative, but he had to do something to make sure everything ran smoothly. He was the most dependable character, the rock, the pillar, etc. ISTJ.

Yes this is a very good explanation of how Arthur is ISTJ rather than ISTP. He was consistently very methodical and his actions were almost always well thought-out.

His role throughout the movie as Cobb's partner was to dig up details for planning the dreams in order to avoid potential problems and be as prepared as possible. ISTJs complete this task better than any other type, imo.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I really liked the movie. It's amazing to me the work that went into writing the script in a way that makes the film not completely baffling and unintelligible, and also convinced a studio to commit the money to make the film. The only thing I didn't care for was the ending. I wanted a clearer resolution, and those of you who have seen it will know what I'm talking about.

Two things still bother me about the logic of the film though....

SPOILER ALERT

1. How did Cobb and Saito get back to "reality" at the end without someone to give them the kick?

2. Regarding the fourth dream level, the subconscious one that Cobb and Mal created...how is it that this is shared by everyone? How is it that Cobb knew Fisher and Saito were there? It seems to me that everyone would have their own subconscious and be lost to everyone else. Did they actually tap into the collective unconscious?

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

To top that off, Arthur also had a loaded dice as his totem, which would guarantee the player certain numbers whenever they rolled it. Nothing symbolizes reliability and certainty like a loaded dice.

Two things still bother me about the logic of the film though....

1.) Most say it's up to interpretation. Right when Saito reaches for the gun, the scene skips back into the airplane, so we're never sure if he pulled the trigger.

Accepting that one is dreaming in limbo pulls them into reality. (Remember that limbo is the place where a person can no longer distinguish between reality and non-reality; and the reason why Cobb strongly advises Ariadne not to bring in memories, or real places into her dream.) He mentions to Saito that he's dreaming and it might have been enough to pull them through. Shooting themselves may have been the kick.

-----------------------

2.) I think everyone's subconscious shows up within the same dream (as long as they remain within close proximity in reality), and it would explain why Ariadne grew increasingly concerned about the memories that Cobb refuses to let go of. The train reappearing in the first level, and Mal shooting Fisher in the third were accidental projections from Cobb that could have easily sabotaged the entire mission.

For the fourth level, Cobb was probably trying to search for Mal since he knew she would not allow him to complete Saito's deal, and thereby, preventing his final release into the "real world". She ruined his first mission and she'll do it again in the second, if he doesn't stop thinking about her.

So, there's a dreamer (not to be confused with the architect, Ariadne, or the subject, Fisher Jr.) for every level. The architect can design the level beforehand, but only the dreamer may alter them as a 'paradox' -- the rest are supposedly mere participants. The subject is the person you're trying to extract the information from.

First: Yusuf
Second: Arthur
Third: Eames
Fourth: Cobb

A limbo, by contrast, has no dreamer and it's the "collective unconscious" where people can fall into when killed, while having their bodies of the previous level heavily sedated. :)

Tradewind

MBTI Type
INFJ
Overall I liked the movie. Seemed like a very Ni movie. Talking about perception, reality, what's real and what's not etc

SPOILER

Regarding the collective unconscious: I have a few thoughts
Regarding why Cobb/Mal: I think the reason they go to their created limbo was because Cobb's psychic barriers no longer contain Mal. He's tried to stuff her down in his unconscious but she keeps trying to escape. So, the deeper they go the stronger she gets. I think people would go to their 'own' limbo but go to theirs because his barriers no longer function. Also, they share this place because they shared the dream in the first place.

Second: I want to hear people's thoughts on the ending. I think there are two interpretations

The first is that Cobb never woke up and went deeper into the dream state. He succumbed to limbo and everyone there is a projection. He has seen them before so his mind can assimilate them. Maybe this is what his limbo looks like after he disposes of Mal and clears his baggage.

The second is much more boring. Its just that he wakes up and goes home.