• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Skydiving

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm considering doing this and would like feedback from people who have already done it.

I've been in a vertical wind tunnel multiple times and thought it was awesome. The downsides are I'm quite afraid of heights and hate the feeling of falling. The upside is that I think I would be more comfortable jumping out of a plane than being in one.

I've heard that you don't have the falling sensation once you reach terminal velocity. Any truth to this? What about once the parachute opens?

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I bought my gf and myself a skydiving tandem jump for our anniversary. We keep trying to go but the weather (and sometimes life) keeps getting in the way. If we ever do it I'll report back. I hear it's very addictive. ;)

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've heard that you don't have the falling sensation once you reach terminal velocity. Any truth to this? What about once the parachute opens?

This is true, and the gut feeling of falling itself lasts less than a second. After that it's just an immense feeling of air pushing against your whole body. It takes a couple seconds to adjust to that and then the fun begins. Once the parachute opens, you're only falling at about 5-15 mph so it's fairly peaceful.

If you're afraid of heights, you may be able to avoid that panic by talking with your tandem partner or other people in the plane. It helps take your mind off it and you'll quickly see that repeat jumpers dont really have time to be afraid because they are getting ready for the fun and thrill.

I would highly suggest this activity to anyone who hasn't tried it! It's 10 times as fun as it looks and 10 times less frightening than you would imagine! :D Also, statistically safe, especially going with a tandem partner with a lot of jumps under their belt.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thanks for the input. I figure I'll probably give it a try relatively soon.

I have to sell my motorcycle :( so I thought I'd give this a try and spend the money on AFF if I like it.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, you don't really get the falling feeling. All you really feel is the wind rushing around you. My 1st time falling out the back of plane was kind of disorienting. All I could hear was the wind around me and when I opened my eyes I thought for a split second that I was watching the plane spin down and away from me. Wasn't 'till my chute opened that I got reoriented and realized I was spinning down and away from it.

Once the chute opens, it feels a lot more like you're floating. Its like this huge adrenaline rush going out of the plane, then your chute opens and all of a sudden its very tranquil.

I'm not the best authority on this though. I'm hoping to go skydiving once life slows down a little. I've been out of a plane more than a dozen times, but only for the military and never from any higher than 1200ft. T-10D chute brings you down a helluva lot faster than a civilian chute too. Tell ya now, paratroopers get jealous watchin' how civilian skydivers land. LOL! :)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not the best authority on this though. I'm hoping to go skydiving once life slows down a little. I've been out of a plane more than a dozen times, but only for the military and never from any higher than 1200ft. T-10D chute brings you down a helluva lot faster than a civilian chute too. Tell ya now, paratroopers get jealous watchin' how civilian skydivers land. LOL! :)

I should be in Airborne School in February or March so I guess I'll get to compare. :cheers:

Thanks for the input.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
I should be in Airborne School in February or March so I guess I'll get to compare. :cheers:

Thanks for the input.

:cheers: Good Luck!

Just remember: Feet and knees together. Act like a sack of potatoes when you hit the ground. :D
(The advice our Drill Sgt gave us in AIT right before we shipped off to Airborne School)

infjwatching

:cheers: Good Luck!

Just remember: Feet and knees together. Act like a sack of potatoes when you hit the ground. :D
(The advice our Drill Sgt gave us in AIT right before we shipped off to Airborne School)

Act like a sack of potatoes when you hit the ground? Dear Lord.....never, no never going to happen! LOL

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Act like a sack of potatoes when you hit the ground? Dear Lord.....never, no never going to happen! LOL

LOL! It really is an amazing experience.

To Metamorphosis: Found a 9 part video series on youtube of an Airborne class going through. Videos about 10 minutes a piece. It'll give you a good idea of what you'll be going through. Just bring some determination, a sense of humor, and a bottle of Excedrin and you'll be fine (You'll probably get headaches from all the PLF practice. I did, but I'm prone to migraines.)

It really is a blast. Wouldn't trade the experience for the world. :D

EDIT: Parts 8 & 9 are the ones of actually jumpin'.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M17dsDhZcSo&feature=related"]US Army Airborne School Class #44-07 Part 1 of 9[/YOUTUBE]

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Posting the highlights for those that don't want to go through the whole series.

Parts 8 and 9. Jump Week.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHB2SIp4nmM&feature=related"]So, You wanna jump outta planes? :D[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-eXM_n-CA4&feature=related"]AIRBORNE! HOOAH!!! :2ar15: [/YOUTUBE]

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, you don't really get the falling feeling. All you really feel is the wind rushing around you. My 1st time falling out the back of plane was kind of disorienting. All I could hear was the wind around me and when I opened my eyes I thought for a split second that I was watching the plane spin down and away from me. Wasn't 'till my chute opened that I got reoriented and realized I was spinning down and away from it.

Once the chute opens, it feels a lot more like you're floating. Its like this huge adrenaline rush going out of the plane, then your chute opens and all of a sudden its very tranquil.

This is true, and the gut feeling of falling itself lasts less than a second. After that it's just an immense feeling of air pushing against your whole body. It takes a couple seconds to adjust to that and then the fun begins. Once the parachute opens, you're only falling at about 5-15 mph so it's fairly peaceful.

If you're afraid of heights, you may be able to avoid that panic by talking with your tandem partner or other people in the plane. It helps take your mind off it and you'll quickly see that repeat jumpers dont really have time to be afraid because they are getting ready for the fun and thrill.

I would highly suggest this activity to anyone who hasn't tried it! It's 10 times as fun as it looks and 10 times less frightening than you would imagine! :D Also, statistically safe, especially going with a tandem partner with a lot of jumps under their belt.

I've been twice, both tandems. Admittedly I'm a bigger guy and way more.

I felt light-headed both times and spent the rest of the day on the couch feeling light-headed and like semi-crap. Even all my yogic breathing, which I can undo headaches with!, didn't help much. Thats an ear pressure thing though. Some people get it, some [probably most?] don't

I quoted the above, cuz I UTTERLY disagree about the sensation of falling. When wind is smacking your face and all of the rest of your body at like 90mph or whatever, how on earth do you all NOT feel that? That and "oh look, the ground is getting a lot closer!!!"

Overall I enjoyed it, other than inner ear pressure issues, but it was blatantly obvious the ENTIRE time that you are falling. I guess 300+lbs fall's pretty quickly [tandem] ...

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do it, do it!! It's a really fun (but expensive) hobby, and it's not like a roller coaster where you have that "lurch" sensation. At first yes, but then you're floating, though you feel the wind, but it's that stomach-jump that isn't there. If I make sense. And it's a lot of fun to look down and see the acceleration. Seeing the little details down below come at you and get bigger... woooo :smile:

Start with tandem though.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. one of these days.. there must be an, uh, ''official'' TypeC Skydiving Meetup.

:thinking: yeah..that might prove entertaining/interesting for a pretty broad variety of reasons..

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found it to be a really peaceful experience. You feel like you're the only person in the world. Just you and the sound of the wind rippling past the chute. You mentioned being afraid of heights. Once you get up there you are so far above everything you have no perspective of height. I found the scariest thing was the plane ride up to elevation. I don't like flying all that much.