• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lebron is "special"

KDude

Welp. I guess the Lakers really have their work cut out for them. Miami is gonna be tough as fuck.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm gonna have to go way out on a limb and predict a Miami championship. :D

With those 3 on one team, you have to win it all. Any other result is just a system malfunction. For crying out loud, you have 25% of Team USA on 1 NBA roster. Even if their 4th best player is me, they should still win it all.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't do video games anymore, but does anyone have NBA Live 2010 (or a similar game - I don't even know what games there are these days). It would be interesting if someone could create this scenario and run a simulation of Miami against teams like Boston and the Lakers. See what the scores would be. Just surround Miami's Big 3 with a bunch of no-namers and call it good.

Anyone?

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
I don't do video games anymore, but does anyone have NBA Live 2010 (or a similar game - I don't even know what games there are these days). It would be interesting if someone could create this scenario and run a simulation against teams like Boston and the Lakers. See what the score would be.

Anyone?

I'll wait for 2K11 when we know what the roster will be.

Remember, Fisher hasn't resigned and the Steve Blake signing makes that look less likely, and Boston is a year older any way you cut it.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'll wait for 2K11 when we know what the roster will be.

Remember, Fisher hasn't resigned and the Steve Blake signing makes that look less likely, and Boston is a year older any way you cut it.

Yeah, I know it wouldn't be a "perfect sim". I was just wondering how the sim would go against this years' best teams. If Team USA (errrr, Miami) would blow them out or if it would be close.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kobe > Lebron

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Alas, the NBA plays 5-on-5.

But I repeat myself ;)

I understand all of your points. And they are valid. And heck, I'm a Laker fan so I certainly hope the Lakers can beat them. I'm just saying that the Heat have put together a very interesting trio of players. The Heat might be beatable, but it will NOT be a cakewalk. Anyone who thinks so is delusional. 3 of the very best players in the world on one roster. I don't care who the other 9 players are, if you want a "W", you better be ready to play when the Heat come to town. That's just a fact.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Miami spoke with D-Fish. :huh:

This is a crazy offseason so far.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems quite a lot of expert analysts are still putting the Heat second to the Lakers.

Do you think it's because basketball is a team sport?

I always thought a team is only as good as its weakest player.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I always thought a team is only as good as its weakest player.

That's a great theory. Let's see if it works in reality:

Lakers weakest player: D.J. Mbenga

Surely there are teams in the league whose 12th man is "as good" or "better" than him. But, those teams didn't fare as well as the Lakers.

It's a nice little saying and it does have some legitimacy to it in certain situations, but if we take it literally, it doesn't hold much water.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's a great theory. Let's see if it works in reality:

Lakers weakest player: D.J. Mbenga

Surely there are teams in the league whose 12th man is "as good" or "better" than him. But, those teams didn't fare as well as the Lakers.

It's a nice little saying and it does have some legitimacy to it in certain situations, but if we take it literally, it doesn't hold much water.

It's not legitimate if the 12th man doesn't play. I think it applies to active contributors.

So, yes I agree you need to be careful in taking it too literally.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's not legitimate if the 12th man doesn't play. I think it applies to active contributors.

So, yes I agree you need to be careful in taking it too literally.

I still don't think it holds up. If we're talking about "active contributors", then we would probably say that Luke Walton is the Lakers weakest "active" link. IMO, he's not very good at all. He plays with a certain level of intelligence and knowledge of the game, but he constantly gets the ball stolen from him, his shots blocked. To put it nicely, every time he has the ball in his hands, I get scared for the Lakers.

I see the Lakers play against other teams whose bench players (their weakest links), literally make Luke Walton look like he should still be playing college ball. I think Tony Allen of the Celtics blocked a couple of his Luke's shots, as an example. Luke never got revenge. He got outplayed by a large margin. Yet, Luke's team, still won the series.

Do you contend that since the Lakers won the championship, that Luke Walton is the best of all the "weakest links" from all 30 teams?

If Phil Jackson played ME for 10 minutes each game, I would EASILY be the weakest link. But, the Lakers would still be able to win some games. They would win less games with me playing 10 minutes, but they'd still win sometimes. I just don't see how it holds up in reality. A team is the sum of all of its parts. If your parts add up to more than my parts, then you win - even if your worst part is REALLY BAD.