• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lebron is "special"

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I say that superstars make a huge difference but teams win championships. There are more than a few Football and Basketball teams over the years that have had great talent and did not win.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I have no idea who will win the title next year. All I know is Miami is going to be a handful for the other 29 teams. I wish it weren't the case, but it is.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The Bulls have now added Boozer, Korver, and Reddick. With each signing, they get better and better. I'm thinking they'll be one of the top 4 seeds in the East next year if everything gels.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
Well, I say that superstars make a huge difference but teams win championships. There are more than a few Football and Basketball teams over the years that have had great talent and did not win.

During the last 10 years, 8 teams have won the World Series in MLB. During the last 11 years, 8 teams have won the Superbowl in the NFL. In the last 30 years, 8 teams have won the Larry O'Brien trophy.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
During the last 10 years, 8 teams have won the World Series in MLB. During the last 11 years, 8 teams have won the Superbowl in the NFL. In the last 30 years, 8 teams have won the Larry O'Brien trophy.

But if you looked at the records, you can see that while maybe one or two championship wins is rather spread out over NBA teams, huge numbers of wins are concentrated just in the Lakers and the Celtics, and a very distant third and fourth place go to the Bulls and the Spurs.

Indeed, you can also see that there have been a lot of teams that had one or two great players on them, and didn't win anything the entire time. Like, wouldn't you know it, the Cavaliers! Michael Jordan's early-middle NBA days also make an interesting point. Before he was really backed up by good team mates, the Bulls could be defeated just by swarming Jordan every time he had the ball.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
But if you looked at the records, you can see that while maybe one or two championship wins is rather spread out over NBA teams, huge numbers of wins are concentrated just in the Lakers and the Celtics, and a very distant third and fourth place go to the Bulls and the Spurs.

Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, in that order, followed by the Spurs.

Indeed, you can also see that there have been a lot of teams that had one or two great players on them, and didn't win anything the entire time. Like, wouldn't you know it, the Cavaliers! Michael Jordan's early-middle NBA days also make an interesting point. Before he was really backed up by good team mates, the Bulls could be defeated just by swarming Jordan every time he had the ball.

The litany of great players who never won because they didn't have the team mates to help them is ridiculous. I always mention that Nique retired #5 all time in scoring and never sniffed a ring, and is never mentioned when people talk the all time greats. That's why all the "Lebron will never be Jordan! Jordan would have never done this" is met by me with resounding "so what."

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've always thought it was much easier to "buy a championship" in the NBA than in the other leagues.

How many years did the Yanks have the top payroll and kept getting eliminated in the playoffs? Sure, their big spending in the last 15 years has resulted in multiple championships, but you can't really "buy the championship" in baseball (or football or hockey) like you can in the NBA. In the NBA, if you can "buy" 2 or 3 really great players, you will most likely be one of the last 4 teams standing - and you have a pretty good shot of winning it all.

-Shaq being brought to L.A. to accompany a young Kobe
-Pau being virtually stolen to help Kobe
-Pierce, Garnett, Allen = 2 huge free agents teaming up with Pierce to win a championship
-Lebron/Wade/Bosh = I really don't expect this to be any different. They will have success. Especially with the signings they've made in recent days (Miller, probably Ilgauskus who is decent, etc.)

There have been some epic flops though, namely the Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton experience. 4 Hall of Famers and they couldn't win it. But, Malone and Payton were no longer spring chickens.

If you do that in the other leagues, you may win it all, but there's a good chance you still won't. In the NBA, you will at least get deep into the playoffs - that's pretty much guaranteed.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
I've always thought it was much easier to "buy a championship" in the NBA than in the other leagues.

How many years did the Yanks have the top payroll and kept getting eliminated in the playoffs? Sure, their big spending in the last 15 years has resulted in multiple championships, but you can't really "buy the championship" in baseball (or football or hockey) like you can in the NBA. In the NBA, if you can "buy" 2 or 3 really great players, you will most likely be one of the last 4 teams standing - and you have a pretty good shot of winning it all.

Knicks highest payroll for years running, no rings, not even close to sniffing one in fact.
Spurs one of the leanest payrolls for years running and have 4 titles to show for it.

-Shaq being brought to L.A. to accompany a young Kobe
Shaq was there before Kobe was drafted, Kobe wasn't even a starter when he did come, and he left because of issues with the Magic organization.

-Pau being virtually stolen to help Kobe

Memphis was salary dumping.

-Pierce, Garnett, Allen = 2 huge free agents teaming up with Pierce to win a championship
Garnett and Allen were both acquired by trade.

-Lebron/Wade/Bosh = I really don't expect this to be any different. They will have success. Especially with the signings they've made in recent days (Miller, probably Ilgauskus who is decent, etc.)

This is the only example that really applies.

There have been some epic flops though, namely the Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton experience. 4 Hall of Famers and they couldn't win it. But, Malone and Payton were no longer spring chickens.

If you consider going to the finals and losing an epic flop I don't know what to say about that, seems you've drank the kool aid. Especially since Malone injured his shoulder the round before and was toughing it out because the team lacked depth behind the starting unit.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
About the money thing... I think New York was offering more money to LeBron than anyone else, was it not?

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
About the money thing... I think New York was offering more money to LeBron than anyone else, was it not?

Actually under the CBA the team you play for can offer you more money than any other team. The idea that he could make more in NY stems from the belief that he could make more money off the court. I personally don't buy it.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Terrific response. I've come down from my kool-aid buzz now, so I'll try to "refute" or "slap back" or whatever we're doing here:

Knicks highest payroll for years running, no rings, not even close to sniffing one in fact.
Spurs one of the leanest payrolls for years running and have 4 titles to show for it.

I wasn't necessarily talking about huge payrolls. The Knicks made stupid payroll decisions. I was looking at teams with, like I said, 2 or 3 great players. The Knicks haven't had this. And yeah, the Spurs did exactly what you said. I never said you couldn't win a title without 2 or 3 great players. All I was aiming for was that if you do have 2 or 3 great players, you will do well. I never said anything about teams that don't have 2 or 3 great players. Spurs are an example of great all-around "team" basketball.

Shaq was there before Kobe was drafted, Kobe wasn't even a starter when he did come, and he left because of issues with the Magic organization.

They both played their first season with the Lakers in the same year, if I'm not mistaken. All I'm saying is that the Lakers paid big bucks to bring in a superstar - and there was a lot of anticipation at the same time for what Kobe was going to become. But, the more I think about it, I'll humbly agree with you that this probably doesn't fit the category of "buying a championship". But, you do hear a lot of fans say that teams like the Yankees and Lakers are known for "buying a world championship". Isn't that the common perception of those two teams? Do you disagree with that perception? Do you think those two teams' high levels of success are for reasons other than being able to bring in great players at huge prices?

Memphis was salary dumping.
Right. So what does that mean? I know Gregg Popovich, everyone's favorite coach, was absolutely livid at the way the whole thing went down, as were many GM's, owners, players, and fans. Most of them thought it was more or less "stealing".

Garnett and Allen were both acquired by trade.
I obviously forget how those transactions went down. Free agents or trades, what I was really getting at was that when the Celts were able to bring those 2 guys on board (along with Pierce), the Big 3 brought them a title in short fashion. And I know there are a lot of smaller market teams that could not (or would not be willing to) pay the price to bring in 3 big guns like that.

If you consider going to the finals and losing an epic flop I don't know what to say about that, seems you've drank the kool aid. Especially since Malone injured his shoulder the round before and was toughing it out because the team lacked depth behind the starting unit.
In Los Angeles, when that team was put together, everyone was saying that if they didn't win it all, it would be a huge flop. Dr. Jerry Buss, the owner himself, has been quoted as saying that basically anything short of a World Championship in unsuccessful in his book. So, you may have thought it was a success and I may have even thought they did pretty darn good that year, but he wasn't happy.

Either way, the point was that if you have a roster of 12 Hall of Famers (or 4), I don't really think the players on the team are thinking, "Well, we lost in the Finals, but we still did really good." A team with 1 or 2 Hall of Famers, maybe you just say, "Hey guys, good year. Good job. We'll get 'em next time." 4 HOF's - big things are expected.

Aside from all my miscues, my point in my last post was simple: if you are able to compile a team with 2 or 3 great players, you usually do pretty well. It's harder to do that in the other leagues. That's all - nothing too outlandish about that.

Back to the kool-aid. Good stuff.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
I wasn't necessarily talking about huge payrolls. The Knicks made stupid payroll decisions. I was looking at teams with, like I said, 2 or 3 great players. The Knicks haven't had this. And yeah, the Spurs did exactly what you said. I never said you couldn't win a title without 2 or 3 great players. All I was aiming for was that if you do have 2 or 3 great players, you will do well. I never said anything about teams that don't have 2 or 3 great players. Spurs are an example of great all-around "team" basketball.
I was more or less taking issue with the notion of buying a title. Obviously if you compile a good team you have a shot.

But, you do hear a lot of fans say that teams like the Yankees and Lakers are known for "buying a world championship". Isn't that the common perception of those two teams? Do you disagree with that perception? Do you think those two teams' high levels of success are for reasons other than being able to bring in great players at huge prices?

I'm a Yankee fan, and we do buy championships. We spend the most money for the best players. Our infield famously makes more than entire teams payrolls.

Right. So what does that mean? I know Gregg Popovich, everyone's favorite coach, was absolutely livid at the way the whole thing went down, as were many GM's, owners, players, and fans. Most of them thought it was more or less "stealing".

I chalk it up to sour grapes. Everyone knew Gasol was on the market, and were pissed LA got him for so cheap. I've heard rumors of Memphis getting better offers, but I'm inclined not to believe them.

I obviously forget how those transactions went down. Free agents or trades, what I was really getting at was that when the Celts were able to bring those 2 guys on board (along with Pierce), the Big 3 brought them a title in short fashion. And I know there are a lot of smaller market teams that could not (or would not be willing to) pay the price to bring in 3 big guns like that.

The Celtics gave up the pick that turned out to be Kevin Durant and a shitload of talent to make that happen and were over the cap to boot, is all I can say about that.

In Los Angeles, when that team was put together, everyone was saying that if they didn't win it all, it would be a huge flop. Dr. Jerry Buss, the owner himself, has been quoted as saying that basically anything short of a World Championship in unsuccessful in his book. So, you may have thought it was a success and I may have even thought they did pretty darn good that year, but he wasn't happy.

Either way, the point was that if you have a roster of 12 Hall of Famers (or 4), I don't really think the players on the team are thinking, "Well, we lost in the Finals, but we still did really good." A team with 1 or 2 Hall of Famers, maybe you just say, "Hey guys, good year. Good job. We'll get 'em next time." 4 HOF's - big things are expected.

I just don't buy it. If Malone doesn't get injured, or if Kobe played better, they win.

Aside from all my miscues, my point in my last post was simple: if you are able to compile a team with 2 or 3 great players, you usually do pretty well. It's harder to do that in the other leagues. That's all - nothing too outlandish about that.

Again I took exception to your phrasing of "buying a championship".

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The king has finally been crowned!
LeBron+James+2012+NBA+Finals+Game+Five+QCYLlM75m7Sl.jpg

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm gonna make a kick ass thread once I decide to take my talents to PersonalityCafe.