• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Scariest Movie of ALL TIME!

E

Epiphany

That one is underrated, IMO. It paved the way for a bunch of similar movies with bigger budgets and shittier filmmaking (excluding Paranormal Activity). Plus, all of the publicity it got before its release with the documentary made it an exciting experience; more than your average horror movie.

Clever marketing, indeed.

[YOUTUBE="GVXEsYLKdxc"]Curse of The Blair Witch part 1[/YOUTUBE]

Has anybody watched this entire documentary? It's as eerie as the movie.

YouTube - [Scifi Classic] Curse of the Blair Witch Part 2
YouTube - [Scifi Classic] Curse of The Blair Witch Part 3
YouTube - [Scifi Classic] Curse of the Blair Witch Part 4
YouTube - [Scifi Classic] Curse of the Blair Witch Part 5

Last edited:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I could possibly see a religious person holding this view despite that Abrahamic religions regard human life more importantly than animals. I'm curious how atheists approach this subject, considering they view human beings as a highly evolved species of animal. Nonetheless, I think I'm derailing my own thread.

I'm not religious. I just think that people are assholes.

However, IRL I don't want to watch anyone suffer, and truthfully, the fact that I expect people to be assholes and do irrational or stupid things often leads me to be more forgiving in real life, not less.

Stephen King is quoted as saying something along the lines of if he didn't write horror novels, he may have been some sort of psychotic because of his past, instead of being a successful person both in career and family.

I think horror is an outlet for some people. A necessary outlet.

E

Epiphany

Not to derail further, but I didn't mean any religious implication by the use of "original sin". Just pointing out that all humans have done dickish things while animals are normally seen as incapable of malice, thus making their suffering more of an injustice.

Even though most animals are omnivores/carnivores and wouldn't hesitate to kill other animals for food, mating, or territory. Under this light, animals don't seem more innocent than humans. Most victims in horror movies aren't murderers themselves who are receiving punishment for their crimes.

Last edited:
E

Epiphany

I'm not religious. I just think that people are assholes.

However, IRL I don't want to watch anyone suffer, and truthfully, the fact that I expect people to be assholes and do irrational or stupid things often leads me to be more forgiving in real life, not less.

Stephen King is quoted as saying something along the lines of if he didn't write horror novels, he may have been some sort of psychotic because of his past, instead of being a successful person both in career and family.

I think horror is an outlet for some people. A necessary outlet.

I'm not judging anyone's taste in entertainment. :popc1: I was just pointing out what seems to be a contradiction amongst a lot of horror fans.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Even though most animals are omnivores/carnivores and wouldn't hesitate to kill other animals for food, mating, or territory. Under this light, animals don't seem less innocent than humans. Most victims in horror movies aren't murderers themselves who are receiving punishment for their crimes.

Yeah being more bothered by animal torture than human torture is probably a frame of mind that can't be related to unless you have it.

I just can't do it. I can watch people stab each other, but if someone even hints they're going to microwave a cat, I'll turn the movie off.

Animals are guided by need and instinct. Humans are often guided by much more calculated and sinister motives. It has something to do with human consciousness, which I suppose does go back to original sin, like it or not.

I also think that people who have been hurt a great deal by other humans and not by animals may have this bias.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not judging anyone's taste in entertainment. :popc1: I was just pointing out what seems to be a contradiction amongst a lot of horror fans.

There are people who hate horror movies who prefer animals over people.

E

Epiphany

Animals are guided by need and instinct. Humans are often guided by much more calculated and sinister motives. It has something to do with human consciousness, which I suppose does go back to original sin, like it or not.

This is an interesting viewpoint and not one that I necessarily disagree with, although I lean more towards theism than agnosticism. Words such as "sinister" and "evil" refer to an indefinite concept that is somewhat left to interpretation. One could argue from an atheist standpoint that a psychopathic murderer is guided by a natural instinct to kill.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is an interesting viewpoint and not one that I necessarily disagree with, although I lean more towards theism than agnosticism. Words such as "sinister" and "evil" refer to an indefinite concept that is somewhat left to interpretation. One could argue from an atheist standpoint that a psychopathic murderer is guided by a natural instinct to kill.

Right...which is why I'm capable of feeling sympathy for Michael Myers when I watch Rob Zombie's version of Halloween...

All in all, in the grand scheme of things, I intellectually and ethically view all living creatures as products of their biology, upbringing, environment, etc.

Of course, I take a more judgemental view of people who choose to hurt others merely out of a narcissistic need for power or money rather than someone who hurts others because they're a paranoid schizophrenic who was abused practically sense birth.

I do attribute a certain amount of personal responsibility to the intelligent and the sane, which is why I delight in vengeance in some cases, but at the same time can step back and comprehend that sometimes people really don't realize what they're doing...which is ultimately why in real life I tend to not get really offended when people are being...people.

On the other hand, my visceral emotions make me feel rage, hate, jealousy, passion, etc. just like any other person...and I like to have an outlet for those feelings, since they are so strong in me, even though I can understand other viewpoints intellectually.

Okay...I'm just babbling now...I don't know if I've lost you.

KDude

i hate torture as well.. i guess i'm not even much of a horror fan, since my favorite ones are kinda funny like zombie flicks or the creepshow movies (actually, that hitchhiker was pretty f'in scary). i like romanticized horror too, like shelley's frankenstein or bram stoker's dracula.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Scariest? I don't know. It bothered 13-year-old me for quite some time.

[youtube=m3FTkAS15zk]An American Werewolf in London[/youtube]

KDude

^The part with the nazi demons killing kids was messed up.. Didn't help that I was a kid myself when I first saw that!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is still The Exorcist. Even the opening scene creeps me out.

I was really disappointed when I finally saw The Exorcist.

Everyone talked it up, and maybe it was something new and scary in the time period it came out, but by the time I watched it about ten years ago, it was utterly boring to me. Even the Bunny Exorcist (angryaliens.com) was far more interesting... and less of a time commitment.

The scariest scene? The one I saw on the internet, that was edited out: The girl skittering about like a humanoid spider on the staircase. That was creepy as hell.

I got more scares out of the opening to "Drag Me to Hell!" by Sam Raimi, and that was entirely contrived. Or creeped out by the tone and pacing of "Angel Heart."

Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity had more scares too (esp the latter!)

I'm torn about Paranormal Activity. It was fresh, it was creative, and it was different. But there simply wasn't enough story for a feature. I think it would have been great as a short, but as a feature I think it failed despite having some good qualities.

I think the story was thin too (i.e., I get why you say "not a feature")... but in terms of my response to the movie... I was utterly creeped out, partly because I had no idea what was going to happen next. The scenes of her slipping out of bed and just standing there over her bf staring at him for two hours were actually worse for me than some of the outright scares (of which there were a few nasty ones). I literally got no scares out of The Exorcist; boring.

Of course, there will be rehashes and spin-offs... and they'll all suck.

Those I anticipated would be scary, but one movie that surprised me was Donnie Darko. I'd half-heartedly watched it before with friends and had seen bits and pieces of it on my own, but when I finally decided to sit down and watch the whole movie all the way through, it scared the pants off of me! Was a good movie though.

It's a good drama, not necessarily a horror pic, but Frank was pretty unsettling. I still really love the all-out creepiness of the bathroom scene (when Donnie has the knife) and the movie theater scene ("Why are you wearing that man suit?")

Honestly, though, there you see the power of music/score to impact emotional drama. Tarantino tends to pick great music for his movies, and likewise Richard Kelly has the touch -- his Donnie Darko soundtrack/mood music really was evocative. I like my horror to be dramatic and my dramas to have elements of horror.

Paranormal Activity was interesting because it had no music. Everything was raw visuals and dialog.

O

Oberon

What about the original Alien?

Hunting the creature through the dark corridors and ventilation shafts of the Nostromo was absolutely nerve-wracking.

And no, it's not a sci-fi movie; it's a horror movie in a sci-fi setting.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've seen hundreds of horror movies, but not many of them stick out as being overall scary.
The recent ones that did a decent job were Quarantine, Paranormal Activity, and The Descent.

I'm afraid of the dark so shoddy movies like They or The Grudge did a number on me (also afraid of creepy dead azns lol). Horror games are prone to freaking me out harder than anything else, actually.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The recent ones that did a decent job were Quarantine, Paranormal Activity, and The Descent.

The Descent is excellent (aside from a little bit of cheesiness with the critters), David Julyan did a beautiful job with the music... lots of pathos too, and psychological intensity.

I saw Quarantine and liked it, actually -- it just reminded me of all the other movies. So it did creep me out some, but not quite as polished as the others.

I'm afraid of the dark so shoddy movies like They or The Grudge did a number on me (also afraid of creepy dead azns lol). Horror games are prone to freaking me out harder than anything else, actually.

Heh. I like The Grudge and The Ring remakes, actually. The Grudge, despite some cheesiness, has some great tension moments (like seeing the little boy's face approaching outside the elevator). Not all remakes create creepy vibes; I just watched Dark Water over the weekend and despite having some actors I really like in it, it was just rather flat and boring. (My friend said, "Oh yeah, great, another 'drowned girl-ghost' movie." Yeah, lol... I see a motif here in Asian horror remakes!)

Computer games do have some creep-out moments, and the thing there too is that you are not an observer, you're a participant, and if you don't respond, you'll get hurt/killed by the critter. I loved Quake when it came out (mood and monster design was amazing), and that was years ago. There have been lots of shooter horror games, as well as RPGs. For a recent game, some of Dragon Age was unsettling... including the sequence in the dwarf mines where, if you listen carefully, you can hear a "Nightmare on Elm Street" style chant start up...

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I saw Quarantine and liked it, actually -- it just reminded me of all the other movies. So it did creep me out some, but not quite as polished as the others.
I loved the one girl because she really played the part well/realistically. I can respect that. Some people were annoyed by her constant screaming and freaking out, but most people would be doing the same exact thing. Screaming about the light would definitely be me. :blush:

Heh. I like The Grudge and The Ring remakes, actually. The Grudge, despite some cheesiness, has some great tension moments (like seeing the little boy's face approaching outside the elevator). Not all remakes create creepy vibes; I just watched Dark Water over the weekend and despite having some actors I really like in it, it was just rather flat and boring. (My friend said, "Oh yeah, great, another 'drowned girl-ghost' movie." Yeah, lol... I see a motif here in Asian horror remakes!)

Computer games do have some creep-out moments, and the thing there too is that you are not an observer, you're a participant, and if you don't respond, you'll get hurt/killed by the critter. I loved Quake when it came out (mood and monster design was amazing), and that was years ago. There have been lots of shooter horror games, as well as RPGs. For a recent game, some of Dragon Age was unsettling... including the sequence in the dwarf mines where, if you listen carefully, you can hear a "Nightmare on Elm Street" style chant start up...
The original Dark Water was pretty bland. Somehow we dragged it out even harder than they did. I rarely feel like i've wasted my time with a movie, but i really wanted my wasted minutes back after that one.
I haven't played Quake or Dragon Age, sadly. I haven't completed these games in the slightest, but i've enjoyed Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame 1&2, and Deadspace. There's also a Grudge game that came out for the Wii where the Wiimote is a flashlight that runs out of batteries. :cry: I want to play it, despite the trauma.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've seen hundreds of horror movies, but not many of them stick out as being overall scary.

The Japanese version of the Grudge (Ju-on) is fantastic

thirtiesgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm a major wuss when it comes to scary movies. It doesn't take much to get my overly active imagination going, so I have to avoid scary movies because they end up causing me too much anxiety. I don't mind suspenseful films, film noir, that kind of thing, but I have to avoid actual scary/horror movies for the most part.

Poltergeist was the first scary movie I ever saw and it scared the shit out of me. I was 13 at the time. I couldn't sleep for weeks after seeing that movie and vowed never to see another scary movie again.

About a year later, a school friend invited me to her birthday party at her dad's TV and VCR store. It was the early '80s and big screen TVs were just starting to flood the market. When I got to her party, about an hour late, she and a bunch of her friends were sitting in front of one of her dad's big screens, watching the end of one of the Halloween slasher movies. I have no idea which one. All I remember is sitting there, watching the end with them, as the slasher guy crashed through a big French window, completely unexpected, to attack the young, attractive couple in the house. My mom's house has French windows, so that similarity was enough to keep me sleepless and deathly afraid to be home alone for the next month.

I didn't go see another truly scary movie until my friends dared me to see the first Blair Witch Project movie in the theater with them. I know most horror afficionados think this movie is absolutely ridiculous and not scary at all, but it did the job for me. The whole 'documentary' aspect of the film, the palpable horror of the characters in the movie...it scared me shitless. ...Well, ok, maybe not shitless, but sleepless for at least a good two weeks.

I've tried to watch other horror flicks at home to 'test my mettle,' so to speak, and see if I can make it through. Most of the time, I can't. I've tried to make it all the way through The Shining, but it's not gonna happen. The same with The Exorcist, and I can barely make it past the first few scenes of The Amityville Horror (the original, not the remake). When I was a kid, even the tv commercial for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (again, the original, not the remake) use to scare the bejeezus out of me.

Besides Poltergeist and The Blair Witch Project, probably the scariest movie I've been able to watch all the way through was The Silence of the Lambs. I don't really consider it a horror movie because of the crime drama-suspense elements to it, but it sure as hell scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it. I was dating my college boyfriend at the time and he came over to watch the video with me. Afterwards, I wouldn't let him leave and told him he had to stay the night because I didn't want to sleep alone.

I've gotten better over the years and can make it through Silence of the Lambs now without needing someone to stay the night. But anything scarier than that and I'm a lost cause.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Horror movies don't mean much to me, and also a lot of "horror" just seems to be gross, graphic content, without stuff that plays on fear.

I guess the scariest movies I've seen are Alien, Aliens, and The Thing (John Carpenter's).

EDIT: Now, when I was a child, I was very frightened by that silly movie Gremlins. Something about those things got to me.