• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lois Lowry

Aven

MBTI Type
INTP
I know her books are mostly for kids, but I love them.
They're relatively short, deep, and good reads.

I just read her Gossamer book last night, and have read The Giver-Gathering Blue-The Messenger trilogy, that one I specifically enjoyed.

Anyone else?

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have never heard of her. Please tell me examples of her book titles?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I've read The Giver five times. I've reread it every couple of years since I was in fifth grade.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know her books are mostly for kids, but I love them.
They're relatively short, deep, and good reads.

I just read her Gossamer book last night, and have read The Giver-Gathering Blue-The Messenger trilogy, that one I specifically enjoyed.

Anyone else?

I've read The Giver five times. I've reread it every couple of years since I was in fifth grade.

What themes do you each read in The Giver - how does the reading change over time?

Would you choose to bear the weight of memory, of stirrings, or ask for release, if you were faced with that choice. . would you feel sameness was a blessing?

I have never heard of her. Please tell me examples of her book titles?

The Giver; Gathering Blue; The Messenger for starters. ;)

It's the kind of book like The Alchemist/Little Prince/Alice in Wonderland/Peter Pan or anime - on surface a child's story, but many layers you could revisit.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I'm with you Kiddo. The Giver is one of those books - one of the only, if not the only - that I want to revisit every few years. The layers in the book are so stirring.

Sorry for your confusion, Al! I'd recommend reading "The Giver" by LL. It's pretty short, definitely not a difficult read, but very provocative!

To perhaps tease your imagination, think of it this way. Jonas is an twelve-year-old boy who has grown up in a place called the Community. There is no such thing as color, music, or dance. To save people from the grief of real emotions, scientists engineered, long before Jonas was born, a way to restrict choice and emotion in humans. Thus, all decisions for the people are made by the leaders of the community. They decide everything, from whom one raises a family with to what one's profession is. Everything is carefully planned out by the Elders of the community, right down to the month of conception for children. There is no such thing as pain, or anger, or sadness, and there is no collective memory of what the world was like before the Community arose. People do not have choice.

When Jonas and all the other eleven-year-olds turn twelve this month, they're assigned their particular professions. Jonas is selected for the most special assignment and profession - to become the new Receiver who will succeed the current Receiver. A Receiver of Memories is the most revered person in the community, but he or she also leads a solitary life. He or she is the one person in the community who has access to all the memories of the past. He must keep these memories within himself until he can train a new Receiver to whom he can pass them. Thus, the Receiver has knowledge of things that no one in the community has access to, and he has the wisdom of ages past. The Elders, when they're really stuck about what decision they should make on an important matter, consult the Giver for his wisdom. That is his purpose - to guide the Elders in making difficult decisions. But the Receiver also has the responsibility to shoulder the burden of sorrow and pain that the memories bring, and he must bear this burden for his entire life, completely alone.

And everything else you'll have to read about. God, it's such a good book.

Crap, I didn't even know there was a series to The Giver. Are they like sequels, or spin-offs? Hmm. I may read the other two!

Aven

MBTI Type
INTP
What themes do you each read in The Giver - how does the reading change over time?

Would you choose to bear the weight of memory, of stirrings, or ask for release, if you were faced with that choice. . would you feel sameness was a blessing?

I haven't read The Giver since I did back in middle school, at that time it impacted me because of my age I suppose.

I would always choose to be different, so I guess to me it was just a matter of time for that to happen.

I don't really like the books so much because I relate, although Gathering Blue was somewhat like the type of person I am, I relate better to Momo by Michael Ende, and the only books I ever go and reread are the Foundation trilogy by Asimov, I just think that her books are good works of fiction, because even though they are kids' books they won't hold back reality, i.e. in Gossamer there's a particularly gruesome passage, however I could see it happening in real life and I think that's what kids need these days.

I know for sure when I was a kid, stuff that was closer to how reality was or based on reality instead of just fluff and starry skies made me appreciate the book much more and I learned from it.