• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Good RPG games

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
SO I'm playing torchlight and i also enjoyed zelda and the FF series and super mario rpg, so what rpg games have you enjoyed. I was recommended dragon age which i'm going to get at some point

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I screwed myself over with Dragon Age. I kept remaking characters halfway through the game and when I finally found a character build I enjoyed I stopped playing because I couldn't play through half of the game for the 10th time.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Yes, Dragon Age: origins. Very nice. Im still playing it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really like the imbalanceness of mages though. I play on the hardest difficulty setting and enjoy having to come up with great tactics and making every second of a battle count using pause extremely often, but without mages it's nearly impossible, and with mages it's ten times easier. :p

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really like the imbalanceness of mages though. I play on the hardest difficulty setting and enjoy having to come up with great tactics and making every second of a battle count using pause extremely often, but without mages it's nearly impossible, and with mages it's ten times easier. :p
I haven't used other than a mage so I can't know how well the others are. Mages are great though. Paralyse, inferno, and lightning the enemies always feels great. The power.

Atomic Fiend

In Dragon Age , I often played as archer and they are the WORST class to start with...

However, by end game, and by extension Dragon Age Awakening, I was literally untouchable. One hit kills from afar every time, breaking bosses defenses, and surviving dragon battles. The Archer is the Magikarp of the game, it sucks ass at first, but give it time and you can get a God. The duel wielding get's you through any close combat in the beginning but eventually you don't even need that.

Not recommended for beginners though, you'll get wrecked.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I my last playthrough I went rogue archer/ranger, with Shale as a tank, Morrigan as a buffer/arcane warrior wielding a 2 handed axe with minor crowd control spells and Alistair as a 2 handed sword dps dealer.

That was actually pretty fun, maybe I'll sometime find the time to finish it with that set up. In previous playthroughs I always went arcane healer on morrigan, but that makes fights to easy. :p

In such games I like tough battles, near wins, etc, that is pretty much where I get my kicks from. Dragon Age Origins storyline isn't very good. A bit linear, no plot twists. Voice overs are awesome, but the storyline isn't that awesome. :(

At Silently Honest: Arrow of Slaying is the most powerful ability in the game. I've had over 600 damage per hits with it. :p

Atomic Fiend

In such games I like tough battles, near wins, etc, that is pretty much where I get my kicks from. Dragon Age Origins storyline isn't very good. A bit linear, no plot twists. Voice overs are awesome, but the storyline isn't that awesome. :(

You didn't play it right. The way you can alter the story from play through to play through is staggering. You can literally kill everyone of your characters off before the final battle save for Morrigan. You can change some of their personalities, you can even let the "Bad guy" win over and over again in different situations.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean in terms of the main storyline. You still have to go to the same places and achieve roughly the same objectives. Naturally I do have personal dispositions. For example, I will always kill off the Dalish and get the werewolves on my side. But other than that, the differences between achieving either goal, is staggeringly little in terms of gameplay.

I'm spoiled though, for having played Arcanum. Story and non-linear wise. :(

Atomic Fiend

I mean in terms of the main storyline. You still have to go to the same places and achieve roughly the same objectives. Naturally I do have personal dispositions. For example, I will always kill off the Dalish and get the werewolves on my side. But other than that, the differences between achieving either goal, is staggeringly little in terms of gameplay.

But then you have to consider, what would be the alternative?

The game does set a path for you early on and you are already very aware of it. It never claims not to be situational. Just like every other game with a tangible storyline that isn't a sandbox game does. How much flexibility do you give a game while still retaining a story like that? And this game is very story heavy, the journal alone is quite large and comprehensive filled with stories within stories and descriptions of every living thing you encounter but a cat.

Yes, you have to go from point a to another point, but not necessarily point b.

You can go from your camp to any other point you have access too at any time so it's not like you have to do a mission in any particular order, I have never played it the same way twice. Also the attention to character interactions between you and the party and the party amongst themselves is pretty wide if you have the patience to make it more then halfway though the game.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I love rpgs!

Of the more modern titles:
- Dragon Age of course. I made a mage first off and used morrigan too, so I guess I was playing easy mode, but made up for it by having horrible equipment and making terrible spell choices. The difficulty seemed just right. The story was nothing unique but it was very meaty and the world felt well designed, so I loved it anyway.

- Mass Effect 1 and 2 are great. I expect 3 to be fantastic. I like how the choices carry through and I like the feel of combat. I like the paragon-renegade alignment system and conversation in general. The plot is unique.

- The Spirit Engine 2 is an interesting indie title. I recommend trying the demo. Linear plot, jrpg style combat, but the art, music, and tale are charming. It's a throwback to the snes glory days.

- Neverwinter Nights 2 was pretty well done. I wouldn't say it excelled in any given area really, it was just decent all around.

- Some people like Oblivion, Morrowind, and Fallout 3. I don't.

And of the older PC stuff:
Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 + expansions.
Planescape: Torment is a classic. Very dated though.
Arcanum was good is a little broken.
Neverwinter Nights 1 I didn't care for, but is worth mention.
Some people like the Witcher. I didn't.

I have a soft spot for the snes era rpgs. Secret of mana, final fantasy 6, crono trigger.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know if you like old school RPGs but at one point I was on a mission to play any RPG that came out. I think I've lost interest in playing RPG, so when I played RPGs that came out recently I can't seem to get into them like I used to; this was the case with FFXIII, Dragon Age, FFXII, etc. But some RPGs that I think you should check out are:

Crono Trigger
Breath of Fire III and V
Suikoden II
Secret of Mana
Earthbound
Seiken Densetsu III
Grandia
Xenogears
Castlevania: SOTN
Shadow Hearts I and II

Hmm, that's all I can think of right now.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Golden Sun and the sequel, Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

I must've played through those at least twenty times.

I agree with Feops and forzen: Secret of Mana, FFIII and VI and Breath of Fire are awesome, as well.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
If yeu want an older, but truly awesome RPG... try to find a copy of Planescape: Torment.

It came out around the time when Baulder's Gate was big... except BG was total horrible worthless CRAP, and Torment was pristine and incredible.

Where many RPG's insist on making huge, vast, expanses of... nothing... Torment crams in so much stuff into such a tiny area yeu feel overwhelmed with the sheer amount of STUFF.

The writing, the biggest part of an RPG being the storyline, is top notch, with some seriously weird, yet epicly awesome stuff. Even yeur allies, the characters yeu get to play as, are amazingly intricate and fun.

Where baulder's gate tossed dozens of characters at yeu, each of which were generic and bland with no real purpose, there's only 7 playable characters in torment at all, 6 of which maximum in a party at a time, so they each have many scripted things to say in each situation and so on as yeu go through the game. This is a bit linear, but offers far, far more detailed writing.

And honestly, where else can yeu go up to a guy preaching about the afterlife, break yeur own neck to 'prove' the afterlife is a fake, and then demand that he do the same? XD Ah the joys of playing an immortal ^^

Gets around the whole "restart from savepoint makes no sense" problem, and there's even a few times where dying will actually help yeu! ...That... and one of yeur allies is essentially a fire elemental who 'teaches' yeu new fire spells... by burning yeur organs with them. Toss him a spleen, set it on fire, BAM, now yeu know how to torch stuff XD

It's a... very strange game, but if yeu're looking for story, it definately is worth it =3

Just keep in mind it's using OLD 2nd edition AD&D rules, so it's not particularly great gameplay. It's still very fun though <3

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Fallout 1 and 2,
Planescape: Torment
Bioware: Anything
KotOR II
Anachronox (if you're a fan of JRPGs but want something western with black humor GO PLAY THIS RIGHT NOW IT IS AMAZING)

I'm not a huuuge fan of JRPGs but I really enjoyed the Chrono Series, Skies of Arcadia, and Ogre Battle (though it has tactics elements that some may not like)

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines is most enjoyable.

The Witcher is awesome.

Arcanum is another good older title.

Deus Ex (though it's one of those weird cross genre games, there are very few games like it today where you actually can play however you want and still beat the game.)

The original Fable is a fun little jaunt through the RPG tropes while having some fun self-referential stuff.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Oh, even though it's a Bioware game and I already mentioned Bioware above. Neverwinter Nights is awesome simply because of the size of its player created content.

I'm not a huge fan of Obsidian or Bethesda RPGs. Obsidian's rpgs just tend to be clunky and Bethesda seems to think that Fedex quests + rehashing old ideas in really bad ways = Good game (sorry, I'm bitter about Fallout 3.)

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm not a huge fan of Obsidian or Bethesda RPGs. Obsidian's rpgs just tend to be clunky and Bethesda seems to think that Fedex quests + rehashing old ideas in really bad ways = Good game (sorry, I'm bitter about Fallout 3.)

I'm still bitter that they turned Fallout into a 3rd person game. Ok, you can adopt an over the shoulder view, but the game doesn't work well like that. And they added some silly things I didn't like. AND the original ending sucked. And the new adding after Brocken Steel doesn't make sense.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm still bitter that they turned Fallout into a 3rd person game. Ok, you can adopt an over the shoulder view, but the game doesn't work well like that. And they added some silly things I didn't like. AND the original ending sucked. And the new adding after Brocken Steel doesn't make sense.

Yeah, to me Fallout 3 is the never Released Van Buren and that thing that Bethesda released is Oblivion with guns and mutants.