• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Final fantasy:

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
I myself love the Final fantasy games, but it’s true that when you brake it down to its elements, the games are terrible.

Here: this is a (somewhat lengthy) review of Final Fantasy X. I think you’ll find it quite humorous.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-x/

It doesn't really make a difference if you start at part one or part two. Just start the video at minute 3. I think part two starts out more funny.
----
---
---
EDIT
[YOUTUBE="OVJhoitEGuc"]Final fantasy 1[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another video

Last edited:

KDude

I love them... well.. actually didn't like 12. Almost everything up to X-2 is cool though. 13 is fun, but different, and not enough exploring.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mostly like 1, 3 (Japanese), and 5. 2 (Japanese) and 4 were okay. 6 and up are garbage that never appealed to me.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I never finished FFX. The blitzball thing was incredibly stupid and the cutscenes were annoying. There I was, fighting a monster without even knowing why, wondering:"Where is the plot?"

But I do love FFVII, and I'd love to find a similar video about it. There are tons of things that don't make sense in that one, either.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
This is another one of those "hey this fantasy world doesn't make sense" kind of things. Lame. Fantasy, as a genre, does not try to make sense. That is why it is fantasy. It would be better if they tried to make fun of something that had the illusion of logic like Sherlock Holmes or Star Trek: TNG, or even CSI.

That is blatantly untrue. Fantasy, as a genre, is a depiction of a world different from our own in that it has a completely different set of rules. Yes, the events and beings may seem fantastical to us, but it's perfectly normal to the people living inside it. There are still rules, and these rules must be obeyed. Take FFVII for example (so I don't end up repeating examples the guy in the video used): it is obvious from early on that in this world, gravity functions just the same as it does in our world. The laws of physics might be skewed in some things, but largely it's the same as in our world. Yet you get a protagonist who is somehow capable of wielding an enormous sword almost five times his size. That is unrealistic, even for a fantasy game - because it clashes with the set of rules previously established within the fantasy world.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Re-using the same annoying plot twist every five minutes has nothing to do with the fantasy background. And I didn't even mention the disgusting amount of lolita fanservice in episodes like X-2 or those terrible forced scenes like the sick laughter of Tidus.

The review has its own flaws, but the main points still stand.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Re-using the same annoying plot twist every five minutes has nothing to do with the fantasy background. And I didn't even mention the disgusting amount of lolita fanservice in episodes like X-2 or those terrible forced scenes like the sick laughter of Tidus.

The review has its own flaws, but the main points still stand.

This is fair criticism. Bad writing transcends genre. But the guys in the video were like, "look at that dude's hair. And those other dudes are so effeminate. ZOMG!!!"

That is blatantly untrue. Fantasy, as a genre, is a depiction of a world different from our own in that it has a completely different set of rules. Yes, the events and beings may seem fantastical to us, but it's perfectly normal to the people living inside it. There are still rules, and these rules must be obeyed. Take FFVII for example (so I don't end up repeating examples the guy in the video used): it is obvious from early on that in this world, gravity functions just the same as it does in our world. The laws of physics might be skewed in some things, but largely it's the same as in our world. Yet you get a protagonist who is somehow capable of wielding an enormous sword almost five times his size. That is unrealistic, even for a fantasy game - because it clashes with the set of rules previously established within the fantasy world.

Your example doesn't contradict anything established in FFVII. If Cloud were supposed to be a weakling then picking up a huge sword wouldn't make sense. According to the story he was infused with energy that made him superhuman, so picking up a huge sword doesn't really contradict anything.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is another one of those "hey this fantasy world doesn't make sense" kind of things. Lame. Fantasy, as a genre, does not try to make sense. That is why it is fantasy. It would be better if they tried to make fun of something that had the illusion of logic like Sherlock Holmes or Star Trek: TNG, or even CSI.

The difference between fantasy and bullshit, is that bullshit is incongruous even to its own context. There is a lot of bullshit in Final Fantasy.

That being said, a lot of his review was also pointing out stuff that was just plain retarded, like that guy's hair! Or the fact that a bunch of ne'er-do-wells on chickens decided to charge a giant, city destroying main antagonist, without giving it much thought. :laugh:

EDIT: I just saw that you went on to say this"

But the guys in the video were like, "look at that dude's hair...

Yeah, his hair was terrible. That has little to do with not understanding fantasy. That's an aesthetic judgement. And in all of the crazy hair I've seen in anime, that is by far the most ridiculous hair I've ever seen. I agree with him.

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Everything up to, but excluding, X-2 was good. Everything thereafter has been terribad.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, his hair was terrible. That has little to do with not understanding fantasy. That's an aesthetic judgement. And in all of the crazy hair I've seen in anime, that is by far the most ridiculous hair I've ever seen. I agree with him.

Doesn't matter if the guy is right or not. I'm not complaining that he's wrong. I'm complaining that he's lame. Being right has very little to do with being entertaining. Yeah, he's right that final fantasy is unrealistic. I've never encountered a fantasy world that is realistic. I've never even encountered a fantasy world that is internally consistent if you actually stop and try to poke holes into it. That is why pointing these things out about a fantasy world is lame.

Pointing out bad writing is not so bad, (although video games are known for bad writing so even that is kind of lame too). It's kind of funny to do this with Final Fantasy though, because they act like their writing is good, when in fact it's just like any other writing for a video game.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Doesn't matter if the guy is right or not. I'm not complaining that he's wrong. I'm complaining that he's lame. Being right has very little to do with being entertaining. Yeah, he's right that final fantasy is unrealistic. I've never encountered a fantasy world that is realistic. I've never even encountered a fantasy world that is internally consistent if you actually stop and try to poke holes into it. That is why pointing these things out about a fantasy world is lame.

Pointing out bad writing is not so bad, (although video games are known for bad writing so even that is kind of lame too). It's kind of funny to do this with Final Fantasy though, because they act like their writing is good, when in fact it's just like any other writing for a video game.

I think a lot of these internal inconsistencies are inseperable from bad writing.
And it may be hard to write a story, particularly a long one, that has no inconsistencies in it, but the less you have the better. The Final Fantasy games are so riddled with them that I find it impossible to keep quiet. This could never, ever, pass for a decent movie.

On that note, I'm not going to let anyone get away with the "it's just a game" comment. Yeah, you know what? If games aren't supposed to have good writing, then people should stop making them de facto movies. I dislike the now rather old habit of making "games" that seem to be films with the skeleton of gameplay half-heartedly rapped around it. When I want to play a game, it's to play something. Using videogames as a vehicle to mainly tell a story strikes me as backwards and sort of stupid. But okay, if someone is going to do that, then of course I expect good writing! If you're going to defeat the purpose of a game so you can tell a story, it had better at least a decent story. Of course, really, I'd say that if you are going to tell a story at all, it should be a decent story.

Can't write well? Don't write at all. Don't put this shit in a game.

This reminds of that time I saw a commercial for a game, don't remember what it was called. It was nothing but terrible cinematic cut-scences of course. And I resentfully grumbled to myself "there are no more good games, only bad movies".

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think a lot of these internal inconsistencies are inseperable from bad writing.
And it may be hard to write a story, particularly a long one, that has no inconsistencies in it, but the less you have the better. The Final Fantasy games are so riddled with them that I find it impossible to keep quiet. This could never, ever, pass for a decent movie.

On that note, I'm not going to let anyone get away with the "it's just a game" comment. Yeah, you know what? If games aren't supposed to have good writing, then people should stop making them de facto movies. I dislike the now rather old habit of making "games" that seem to be films with the skeleton of gameplay half-heartedly rapped around it. When I want to play a game, it's to play something. Using videogames as a vehicle to mainly tell a story strikes me as backwards and sort of stupid. But okay, if someone is going to do that, then of course I expect good writing! If you're going to defeat the purpose of a game so you can tell a story, it had better at least a decent story. Of course, really, I'd say that if you are going to tell a story at all, it should be a decent story.

Can't write well? Don't write at all. Don't put this shit in a game.

This reminds of that time I saw a commercial for a game, don't remember what it was called. It was nothing but terrible cinematic cut-scences of course. And I resentfully grumbled to myself "there are no more good games, only bad movies".

Didn't ever say "it's just a game", nor did I mean to imply it. (Actually I agree with what you are saying here.) But movies and games are completely different media. Too many games are trying to be movies nowadays, so in that respect I can see why people would want to judge them by the same criteria. But really what is good writing for a video game wouldn't work in a movie and vice versa. (And likewise good writing for a movie doesn't work for a novel and vice versa.) Different media require different styles.