• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
We agreed to Milton Friedman, anyway. :D

Which do you prefer?

"Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself."

OR

"I am favor of cutting taxes under any circumstances and for any excuse, for any reason, whenever it's possible."

I'll take the second one.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
... :ohmy:

(First goal!)

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
(Is it me - or is Marcel Desailly something of an odd ball? lol.)

That was a good setpiece play off Mesut Ozil. Germany go through to face England.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
(Is it me - or is Marcel Desailly something of an odd ball? lol.)

That was a good setpiece play off Mesut Ozil. Germany go through to face England.

Germany will beat England, 2-0 at least, it may even be 3-0 or 4-0, just like the Under 21 German team beat England by the count of 4-0. After that happens, yet another English media frenzy will erupt about the issue of what exactly inflicted this misfortune upon that glorious nation, was it the coach, the players, the fans, the vuvuzelas? None of that has anything to do with England's recent performance, those ideas are nothing but pitiable excuses for fanatics to avoid owning up to the fact that their team is just not very good, nowhere nearly meritorious enough to compete with opponents who are serious contenders for the World Cup.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Germany will beat England, 2-0 at least, it may even be 3-0 or 4-0, just like the Under 21 German team beat England by the count of 4-0. After that happens, yet another English media frenzy will erupt about the issue of what exactly inflicted this misfortune upon that glorious nation, was it the coach, the players, the fans, the vuvuzelas? None of that has anything to do with England's recent performance, those ideas are nothing but pitiable excuses for fanatics to avoid owning up to the fact that their team is just not very good, nowhere nearly meritorious enough to compete with opponents who are serious contenders for the World Cup.

Actually the England players are better on paper. They simply aren't as good as Germany as a team.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I knew all along that the U.S. would win their entire group on an injury time goal and only by goal margin over England. :rolli:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yet, according to you, FDG, the Italian culture does not approve of cheating, what on earth is going on here? Is there anything about the Italian general culture or the Italian soccer culture that promotes such behavior?

Mmm perhaps I was unclear, I do think the professional / competitive soccer culture encourages this behavior, basically any player who had to go through "younger" serie A team will have this fake / cheating behavior ingrained - there's no choice (except not playing professionally, of course - or joining a foreign team). I think a similar issue can be found in cycling with illicit performance enhancing drugs - nobody approves their usage, yet basically every professional engages used doping, simply because you won't reach professional level if you don't. They can be modeled as "positive feedback cycles", they'd need an exogenous shock to be "broken".

Lightyear

England vs Germany on Sunday. Oh dear. Time for all the anti-German prejudice in England to come to the surface again. And I am a bloody German living in England. Whoever uses the match as an excuse to tell me another stupid Second World War joke or thinks the Hitler salute is terribly entertaining deserves a kick in the balls and I hope they will swell to the size of actual footballs. Ha!

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mmm perhaps I was unclear, I do think the professional / competitive soccer culture encourages this behavior, basically any player who had to go through "younger" serie A team will have this fake / cheating behavior ingrained - there's no choice (except not playing professionally, of course - or joining a foreign team). I think a similar issue can be found in cycling with illicit performance enhancing drugs - nobody approves their usage, yet basically every professional engages used doping, simply because you won't reach professional level if you don't. They can be modeled as "positive feedback cycles", they'd need an exogenous shock to be "broken".

I do remember that you've mentioned that, but what I am curious about is why Italy producers more divers than other European nations. One may infer that Serie A encourages the behavior more than other leagues, is there something about the general Italian culture that accounts for this difference?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
MESUT ÖZIL, omg what a game of shite and now its against the isle boys thats gonna be a war :D

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Okay, whoever says we should call the US team the Mutant Ninja Turtles I totally agree with.

GO MUTANT NINJA TURTLES!!!

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Nonetheles, I will stand along my German cousins.

Since France's team is dead and not forgiven, it's time to stand along our most closest friends we have in Europe.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP

Whilst I'll acknowledge that two of our three performances so far have been poor, it is ludicrous to say that England is "just not very good"; we have some of the best players in the world, playing club football for some of the best teams in the world. The problem lies, or perhaps lay, with those players being unable to act as a unified team.

As for what the result may be against Germany, I think we have a plausible chance of victory-providing there are no penalties involved.
;)