• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I saw part of the Argentina / Nigeria game today.
The Argentines were very aggressive comapred to the Nigerians.
Many a time I looked at the TV there was a Nigerian player on the ground, whingin about something, and then I saw the instant replay, and saw the elbow that went up in some guys chest, or an ankle that got kicked, or some other painful unplanned mishap.

Remember folks, soccer is a CONTACT SPORT. :rock:

Heh. I didn't see the game, but did see a lot of highlights. Was the Nigerian goalkeeper consistently as good as he looked? From the highlights it seemed like he singlehandedly kept the game close.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sweet draw! I'm sure the English goalkeeper's car is already overturned and on fire back in England.

To be fair to Robert Green, he made a very good save in the middle of the second half that stopped the U.S from taking the lead and in the first period he faced a similar kind of a shot to the one that he fumbled and held it without any problem. The howler he was guilty of could have happened to anyone.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Heh. I didn't see the game, but did see a lot of highlights. Was the Nigerian goalkeeper consistently as good as he looked? From the highlights it seemed like he singlehandedly kept the game close.

Yes, he had a great game. it should have been 5 or 6.

To be fair to Robert Green, he made a very good save in the middle of the second half that stopped the U.S from taking the lead and in the first period he faced a similar kind of a shot and held it without any problem. The howler he was guilty of could have happened to anyone.

True.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
^^^ Though to be fair my brother just got home from watching England in a pub and says that Green was getting booed every time he appeared on the screen, even after the second save. A shame, but predictable.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am extremely happy that the USA has a chance to win the Group. Also, Robert Green plays for West Ham, and I support Arsenal, so screw him. ;)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am extremely happy that the USA has a chance to win the Group.;)
Slim chance, we'd have to beat Algeria and Slovenia by a greater margin than England does, unless England doesn't win the next two games, which is unlikely.

Also, Robert Green plays for West Ham, and I support Arsenal, so screw him. ;)

Not sure if I see the relevance of Arsenal, I support Arsenal too, yet don't share the sentiment for some reason.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Slim chance, we'd have to beat Algeria and Slovenia by a greater margin than England does, unless England doesn't win the next two games, which is unlikely.

That's the good part. It's totally within the realm of possibility that the U.S. wins both games and England draws one, or we both win two but the U.S. gets it on differential. Winning would have sealed the deal, but we are in a good position. If we can take first, it would be HUGE for the Round of 16. We would probably face Serbia, whereas we'd probably face Germany as the second team out of our group. Just a SLIGHT difference there. . .

Not sure if I see the relevance of Arsenal, I support Arsenal too, yet don't share the sentiment for some reason.

Just a natural enmity between other London-based sides. Not as anger-inducing as Tottenham or Chelsea, but still a rivalry.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just a natural enmity between other London-based sides. Not as anger-inducing as Tottenham or Chelsea, but still a rivalry.

The idea of a rivalary seems preposterous, Arsenal has been battling for championship for the last several years and West Ham barely managed to remain in the Pemier League. I bet nothing but a vulgar tradition and the hooligan culture keeps the enmity going. That's probably a ridiculous over-simplification, yet must be a big part why the two such unevenly matched teams still have something of a bitter rivalry going on.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
That's the good part. It's totally within the realm of possibility that the U.S. wins both games and England draws one, or we both win two but the U.S. gets it on differential. Winning would have sealed the deal, but we are in a good position. If we can take first, it would be HUGE for the Round of 16. We would probably face Serbia, whereas we'd probably face Germany as the second team out of our group. Just a SLIGHT difference there. . .

There's always a chance... In all honesty the U.S. came off well with that draw and it's only because Green fluffed it. I hope the U.S. do well but its really just a case of how long they can stay in it. I'm sure they'll develop as a team over the years.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Terrible, indeed...I only watch tennis for the tiny yellow ball going back and forth really, really fast. :whistling:

That is a whole little fuzzy ball of emotion flying over that net. I only realised there was a ball when Kournikova stopped playing.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really enjoyed the England USA game. Not the hugest fan of footy but the game in the second half had me on the edge of my seat. I liked

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
The idea of a rivalary seems preposterous, Arsenal has been battling for championship for the last several years and West Ham barely managed to remain in the Pemier League. I bet nothing but a vulgar tradition and the hooligan culture keeps the enmity going. That's probably a ridiculous over-simplification, yet must be a big part why the two such unevenly matched teams still have something of a bitter rivalry going on.

West Ham supporters hate Arsenal. Arsenal supporters probably don't care that much about West Ham: those that have to go to work or school in London though, do enjoy seeing West Ham lose. If you live int he US, pretty much up to the individual, because I doubt you're going to meet many West Ham fans. :D

@ Pure Mercury - if USA win the group I'll change my signature to an Ayn Rand quote of your choice, for a month.

R

Riva

England couldn't beat USA? That's a shocker. Aren't they a football power house?

I hope that England does get through. England has a better chance of winning future matches than USA. And providing more entertainment.

R

Riva

And again I hope Germany (the powerful team) would win. Who wants to see Australians play football. Rather see clowns running around naked.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
It will be interesting to see if England stick with Green as goalkeeper.

Hopefully, the Germany v Australia game is better than the ones so far today.:dry: