• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

MBTI Type
INTJ
If the USA lose this game it will be brutal. They've had so many excellent second half chances that they should have cashed in.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
If the US loses, I'm glad its Ghana that does it; that's a country that has worked hard to get its shit together, and lets face it, they (as a country) want this more than we do. Still, it would be great if we rallied and won the whole thing, for no other reason than to witnesses the frustration of foreign soccer fans if the World Cup went to the only country that couldn't care less.

But yeah, if the Ghanians hang on, I'm rooting for them the rest of the way.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Aww poor USA. Seriously.

Yay to Ghana though ... they'll have a tough match against Uruguay ...

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The United States bowed to the great nation of Ghana, Africa's last hope!

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If the US loses, I'm glad its Ghana that does it; that's a country that has worked hard to get its shit together, and lets face it, they (as a country) want this more than we do. Still, it would be great if we rallied and won the whole thing, for no other reason than to witnesses the frustration of foreign soccer fans if the World Cup went to the only country that couldn't care less.

But yeah, if the Ghanians hang on, I'm rooting for them the rest of the way.

That would have been funny, but eh.

This is like the second time we've gotten knocked out by those guys! :shock: I smell new rivalry.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Why were so many people not from the USA supporting them? :s

I am glad Ghana won. Nothing against the US team at all, they played well. But obviously it means more to Ghana and as a country they have more of an acheivement in getting this far than the US.

Also seeing Bill Clinton and, especially, Mick Jagger defeated has to be fun. :tongue:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
sorry for the americans. They played a great cup and have a great team atm, probably the best team of all time.

I am looking forward to see more matches from this team in the future :)

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Ah, too bad. I was hoping to see the US team advance on -- all in all, they played pretty well. If only they could get rid of the first 15 minutes of each game...

It was a fun game to watch, though.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Curious to know the opinion of you serious football fans:

How does team USA look on the world level? Obviously they can compete, but it's also obvious that they have a ways to go in order to be considered an "elite team". But, from a technical standpoint and just overall play in this World Cup, what's your opinion? I know that they won a game, lost a game, and tied two games. But, give me more of a breakdown of their play and how it compares (quality wise) with the "elites"?

Also, if Team USA played a team like, say, Manchester United, what would happen? Would Man U just shred them apart? Or would it be a good game? I'm just wondering how some of these world-class club teams with superstars on them would stack up against a mediocre (or slightly above average) national team such as the USA.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Man United would shred the USA apart, but then they would shred England apart too (let's say Rooney and Ferdinand just didn't play).

The US look like a decent team, though I don't know what else to say. Lower end of the Top 16 as the World Cup would indicate seems about correct.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Man United would shred the USA apart, but then they would shred England apart too (let's say Rooney and Ferdinand just didn't play).

The US look like a decent team, though I don't know what else to say. Lower end of the Top 16 as the World Cup would indicate seems about correct.

The U.S. never should have been ranked 4th in the world as they were at one point. 12th-14th sounds about right. On the second tier behind the European and South American powers. Dangerous, but maddeningly inconsistent.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Glad of Uruguay's victory today. Felt saddened by USA's defeat, though, on the other hand - they were playing hard. Felt they deserved to win...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Glad of Uruguay's victory today. Felt saddened by USA's defeat, though, on the other hand - they were playing hard. Felt they deserved to win...

They may have played hard, but not smart in the first half or the beginning of extra time (the start of things seems to be the bane of the U.S. team). Nor do they have the skill needed at the striker position - 8 straight W.C. games now without a goal from a striker.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Curious to know the opinion of you serious football fans:

How does team USA look on the world level? Obviously they can compete, but it's also obvious that they have a ways to go in order to be considered an "elite team". But, from a technical standpoint and just overall play in this World Cup, what's your opinion? I know that they won a game, lost a game, and tied two games. But, give me more of a breakdown of their play and how it compares (quality wise) with the "elites"?

From my perspective, the team is well-organized and its style of play is well thought out, yet there's a lack of real talent (understandble, since it's still a minor sport). I think it's easier to compare the US team to a team whose supposed level should be similar: Japan. Japan has a similar level of organization, but now it's starting to develop its talents (Honda, for example). During a competition such as the World Cup, where basically each match is decisive, you need "great" players.

Also, if Team USA played a team like, say, Manchester United, what would happen? Would Man U just shred them apart? Or would it be a good game? I'm just wondering how some of these world-class club teams with superstars on them would stack up against a mediocre (or slightly above average) national team such as the USA.

If the USA and Man Utd were to play 10 games one against the other, Man Utd would probably win 8 times out of 10. Yet, as far as single games go, I don't think the USA team would be shredded apart, they'd likely lose 1-0 or even tie.