• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would like to congratulate the North Korean players and the coaching staff on their outstanding performance in this World Cup where they have marked the record of 0 wins and 3 losses conceding 12 goals and scoring only one. At least their record was not the worst in the history of World Cup and that is quite the accomplishment for Kim Jong-il.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ Poor guys, I bet they're the enemies of the state now :D
I wonder what'll happen to them.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is it Sunday yet???

*whispers in an anxious tone with finger over lip* don't mention the war

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Is it Sunday yet???

*whispers in an anxious tone with finger over lip* don't mention the war

“If, on the morrow, the Germans beat us at our national game, we’d do well to remember that, twice this century, we have beaten them at theirs.” -Frank McGhee

OH SNAP!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
“If, on the morrow, the Germans beat us at our national game, we’d do well to remember that, twice this century, we have beaten them at theirs.” -Frank McGhee

OH SNAP!

That isn't so incisive in 2010, is it? England and Germany/West Germany have been allies for over sixty years now.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
That isn't so incisive in 2010, is it? England and Germany/West Germany have been allies for over sixty years now.

It was actually written in 1966, so at that time it was probably quite a zinger. My friend sent it to me the other day and I thought it was funny.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
It was actually written in 1966, so at that time it was probably quite a zinger. My friend sent it to me the other day and I thought it was funny.

That's what I meant. It would be like an American writing something catty about Japan nowadays. They're our buddies now!

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
“ twice this century, we have beaten them at theirs.”!

Is this a figurative expression or is he literally referring to a certain sport that Germans regard as analogous to how English regard soccer? Did Germans invent any sport or have any reason to regard a certain gaming activity as 'theirs'?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

Is this a figurative expression or is he literally referring to a certain sport that Germans regard as analogous to how English regard soccer? Did Germans invent any sport or have any reason to regard a certain gaming activity as 'theirs'?

Nope, he was saying that the German national game is war, and alluding to the two world wars that they lost.

Although one could argue those two matches were essentially Germany vs. World All Stars, and England isn't going to have the US and Russia on sunday.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
So... ladies, and germans *ahem*, time to get your hankies on for the big game! It's the moment we've all been waiting for - and not one not come before. England face Germany in the opening knock-out stages match.

(Which side are we gonna root for, I wonder?)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ashley Cole
Frank Lampard
David James
Wayne Rooney

EAAAAAAAAAAAASSSYYY :D

Und wir haben ein Idol, Mesut Ööööözil :D

omfg [brit. engl.] someones in a blue funk :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am sacrificing a sheep at the altar this morning that the subterrestrial german defense can tank sherman rooney :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm hoping germany is going to win and they'll face the Netherlands in a later round. There's something of beauty in every Holland vs Germany game.

Germany and Netherlands football rivalry
from Wikipedia.

The Netherlands national football team has rivalry with the Germany national football team which has its origins in the brutal occupation of the Netherlands by Germany during the Second World War.

In the 1974 FIFA World Cup the Netherlands lost to West Germany in the final despite being favoured, which caused a national trauma.

In the semifinal of UEFA Euro 1988, played in Hamburg, Germany, Marco van Basten slid the winning goal in the last minute past the German keeper. After the game Ronald Koeman of the Netherlands pretended to wipe his backside with Olaf Thon's jersey, something he regretted later which caused relations to worsen between the two sides. Many Dutch fans celebrated, singing "In 1940 they came - in 1988 we came". The Dutch proceeded to win the final against the Soviet Union. When the team returned to the Netherlands and were celebrated in the capital Amsterdam, headcoach Rinus Michels told the crowd "We won the tournament, but we all know that the semi-final was the real final".

There was also the game in the Round of 16 in the 1990 FIFA World Cup, where the Netherlands' Frank Rijkaard spat a number of times on Rudi Völler, with Völler being accused of diving. Both players were sent off. Germany went on to claim victory thanks to Jürgen Klinsmann and Andreas Brehme's goals,[1] and eventually became World Champions.

When the Dutch failed to qualify for the 2002 World Cup, Germans fans often rejoiced with singing "Ohne Holland fahr'n wir zur WM" ("Without Holland we're going to the World Cup") and displayed banners reading "Über Japan lacht die Sonne, über Holland die ganze Welt" ("The sun's smiling over Japan [co-host country of the tournament], the whole world's laughing at Holland"). In the 2006 World Cup documentary Deutschland. Ein Sommermärchen, the early elimination of the Dutch team is illustrated by showing an Autobahn sign "Netherlands, exit right". After the elimination of Germany in Euro 2004, Dutch supporters went to the German fan zone and hung up a sign saying "Zimmer Frei" ("Open vacancy" in German). When Germany hosted the 2006 FIFA World Cup, Dutch musicians de Toppers scored a hit in the Netherlands with the song "Wir Sind die Holländer" which heavily referenced the rivalry between the countries, including the fact that many Dutch still mockingly complain about the Germans "stealing our bikes", referring to Nazi Germany confiscating Dutch bikes during World War II. The Dutch supporters are also known to chant "Jetzt geht's los" to the German side, literally meaning "Now it starts.", but carrying competitive overtones of, "It's on now!" or "Bring it on!"

In the recent years, many of the Netherlands' more prolific younger players have plied their trade in the Bundesliga at one time or another including Rafael Van der Vaart, Joris Mathijsen and Nigel de Jong (Hamburg), Mark van Bommel (Bayern Munich), Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart) and Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).

Edit: Just checked, if both teams keep winning we'll meet in finals. That'll be cool.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
It didnt mention "Orange trägt nur die Müllabfuhr", which is "orange is only worn by the trash collectors" :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvdZ-keF3iM"].[/YOUTUBE]

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6CkAcpJwV4"]lol[/YOUTUBE]

we komen om te spelen - We're coming to play
en niet om fietsen te stelen - Not to steal bicycles
dus maak je borst maar nat - So prepare yourselves!

XD

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking of this is my earlier post

[YOUTUBE="yfl6Lu3xQW0"]Don't Mention The War[/YOUTUBE]

G

Ginkgo

Soccer is a religion that is localized to every area of the world except for the U.S. I honestly feel so alienated by it. There is no particular thing that is strange about it, it's the whole kitten kabootle. It's hard enough to find interest in the Americanized sports. Why can't you guys make it less crude than just kicking a ball around? Why not put some badass shoulder pauldrons on like in American football, or take more steroids?