• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
It was offsides, by a leg or so.

I don't understand offsides that close in though. Hockey has a blue line for that nonsense.

It actually wasn't off. They showed it in the half time report and we were even if not on side.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It actually wasn't off. They showed it in the half time report and we were even if not on side.

I saw one tiny (work PC) replay and they didn't make a big deal of it, so I just assumed he was barely offsides. But it was an English feed. Speaking of the English...

sunworldcupcover.jpg

ACTUAL RESULTS:
United States 5
England 5
Slovenia 4
Algeria 1

Ahahahahahahaahahahahahaha!

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It would be quite funny if Italy won the World Cup. All the Italian members of the forum should make a vid chanting "SolitaryWalker Vaffanculo". :tongue:.

That may be funny, but now we have more pertinent events to worry about.

@ Pure Mercury - if USA win the group I'll change my signature to an Ayn Rand quote of your choice, for a month.

If the quote Pure Mercury chooses is short enough, would you add another Ayn Rand quote of my choice?

Sweet draw! I'm sure the English goalkeeper's car is already overturned and on fire back in England.

His howler in the first game is an important reason why England did not win the group. If England won the opener against the U.S by 1 goal to 0, they may well have had the momentum to beat Algeria by the same margin.

Well he said he was speaking about the players, not the whole nation, so actually what he said made sense (and I basically agree with him, although not to such extremes). Although now he does seem to be a little bit obsessed :D

That's true, my comment implied no racial derogations, however, the Italian style of play seems profoundly different from that of their Western counterparts. They are much more defensive and more inclined to attempt to win by illicit means. Yet, according to you, FDG, the Italian culture does not approve of cheating, what on earth is going on here? Is there anything about the Italian general culture or the Italian soccer culture that promotes such behavior? If the answer is no, why is such behavior much more common among Italian players than among the Spaniards, the English or the Germans?

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
can you give it to me too tcda? I will only use it to buy a pizza. Im really a nice honest person so you can trust me.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
That is not what you meant. You said Argentina was one of your favorites but it is highly unlikely to win the tournament which means that the term 'favorite' means a team that you personally favor rather than a team that in your objective assessment is the most likely to win. I ask again, why would you favor Italy?

Who the fuck are you again?

I have no preference for Argentina whatsoever. I don't know if it's a misuse of the word favorite, but from my understanding even in english (like in portuguese, my mother tongue) it can both mean positive bias towards someone and the likeliest candidate to win, when talking about any kind of sport.

I said Argentina are one of the most likely to win, in theory, but as history shows,playing "eloquently" in these competitions doesn't ensure you'll win in the end (as evidence by a lot of defensive teams winning the big competitions these days).

I don't favor Italy. What I meant was that Italy, due to be defensive and very experienced, are more likely to win a big competition like this one in this day and age.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
it can both mean positive bias towards someone and the likeliest candidate to win, when talking about any kind of sport..

I think that favorites is used in both manners, as you said, but you need to go read your first post where you said Argentina was your favorite than implied they are highly unlikely to win. In this context it seems pretty clear that favorite meant something other than likely to win, hence, we must look at the other definition of favorite which is 'personally preferred'.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think that favorites is used in both manners, as you said, but you need to go read your first post where you said Argentina was your favorite than implied they are highly unlikely to win. In this context it seems pretty clear that favorite meant something other than likely to win, hence, we must look at the other definition of favorite which is 'personally preferred'.

What is this? Twilight Zone? Even if you were right, why would I not want to mean what you claim that I meant? If if did like Argentina, why would I have any problem in admitting so?

I said :

My favorites would be Argentina (still find it highly unlikely), Italy and Germany.

My favorites as in "the favorites" in my opinion. I'm Portuguese and I'm rooting for Portugal. If Portugal didn't win the only other team I have some personal bias towards is Holland (MEANING: if Portugal doesn't win, I would like Holland to win possibly).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
SUPER DEUTSCHLAND, SUPER DEUTSCHLAND EOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH OLEOLE :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFNflJaJK1w&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
can you give it to me too tcda? I will only use it to buy a pizza. Im really a nice honest person so you can trust me.

Well we can swap if you like. Mine only comes with £23,000 of debt - I'll buy you a pizza for taking that on. :tongue:

But seriously, well done to the US, even if they did embarass me.

I didn't see the game obviously, I was watching England v Slovenia, where apparently everything is ok and England are potential wordl champions, now that they managed to win a game 1-0 against 4th rate opposition. :laugh:

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Donovan's goal was tremendous!

This epic unending tennis match at Wimbledon is really remarkable, too.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Sure, how about I also give you my bank details and email password?

We agreed to Milton Friedman, anyway. :D

Which do you prefer?

"Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself."

OR

"I am favor of cutting taxes under any circumstances and for any excuse, for any reason, whenever it's possible."