• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WORLD CUP 2010

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Agreed. When I played it in high school I would have been heartily ashamed to writhe about on the ground clutching my ankle, whether the agony was real or not. I think its an extremely cynical attitude to play with that undermines the sport's prestige and credibility. And in this part of the world it just adds fuel to the fire for the critics of football. :doh:

I think it should be an automatic red card if they are caught and suspension if the ref misses it. If more isn't done, before long the team that wins any given match will simply be the one that cheats the most effectively.

The highlighted bit made me LOL. The thought of football as a marginal interest having to compete against "critics" is quite funny for someone not from the US. :D

R

Riva

Urgghhh!

I hope France does not get disqualified. The stronger the teams are the harder they would perform at the latter stages and also would have the confidence, the training and the preparation to do so. And France is one team that could perform at the latter parts of a tournament. I don't exactly like the Frech team, but the better a team performs more the fans are satisfied.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The thing is, it's the smart play. When you're at the highest level of talent, set pieces become so lethal because of the place kicker's ability to spot the ball very well and the attackers' ability to get clean headers. Not as easy in high school.
All the more reason to come down hard on the cheating. What's the point of playing or watching it if there is no longer a focus on winning through skill.

The highlighted bit made me LOL. The thought of football as a marginal interest having to compete against "critics" is quite funny for someone not from the US. :D
I'm not from the US either. :newwink:

In New Zealand (where I am actually from) there are certain old school macho types (who are fairly prevelant) who say football is a game for 'faggots'. This is rather offensive language but what they mean is it's 'not a real man's sport'. The belief is that football is a game for boys that are too wussy to play rugby. I never liked this attitude but certainly agree with them when they criticize player who 'pulls a Hollywood', as we call the faking. They hate it not only because it is cynical play but because they think it unmanly to show pain, let alone parade it. Exemplary of this attitude, is the former rugby player Buck Shelford. He once tore his scrotum during a game. He briefly went off, had it quickly stitched up, then went back and played the rest of the game. This man is a hero to the macho types and football players rolling around 'in pain', simply sickens them.

Honestly, I would like for there to be more respect for football in my country but its never gonna happen with the current style of play (ie. faking or exagerating injuries to milk penalties).

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
All the more reason to come down hard on the cheating. What's the point of playing or watching it if there is no longer a focus on winning through skill.

Because it's tribal. A footballs upporter in Europe or Latin America doesn't care about having the best team, they just don't want to lose to their rivals. It's like "family honour" in Cossa Nostra, or something. :tongue:

In New Zealand (where I am actually from) there are certain old school macho types (who are fairly prevelant) who say football is a game for 'faggots'. This is rather offensive language but what they mean is it's 'not a real man's sport'. The belief is that football is a game for boys that are too wussy to play rugby. I never liked this attitude but certainly agree with them when they criticize player who 'pulls a Hollywood', as we call the faking. They hate it not only because it is cynical play but because they think it unmanly to show pain, let alone parade it. Exemplary of this attitude, is the former rugby player Buck Shelford. He once tore his scrotum during a game. He briefly went off, had it quickly stitched up, then went back and played the rest of the game. This man is a hero to the macho types and football players rolling around 'in pain', simply sickens them.

Honestly, I would like for there to be more respect for football in my country but its never gonna happen with the current style of play (ie. faking or exagerating injuries to milk penalties).

Fair enough. But you should recognize that football doesn't think of itself in terms of a sport that needs to "expand". In fact the central footballing countries of Europe and Latin America don't care much if the rest of the world plays or not,and they certainly won't change their style of play to attract others.

Of course that's an arrogant attitude and I don't condone it. But it's pretty much reality.

By the way, do you like rugby league? It's a good sport.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Best man in game today !!! Lukas Podolski !!!!!!!

I tho gonna kill Klose, slowly...

I should remove him as my avatar. He's gotta make that PK or score on one of his chances, he had several good looks. Refs didn't help but if Germany's an elite team they at least draw today.

Rather lose here and get this as a wakeup call though than get knocked out in round of 16. We'll see what happens from here.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I should remove him as my avatar. He's gotta make that PK or score on one of his chances, he had several good looks. Refs didn't help but if Germany's an elite team they at least draw today.

Rather lose here and get this as a wakeup call though than get knocked out in round of 16. We'll see what happens from here.

You support Deutschland? o_O

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
OMG, I love how players fall down flat, then look up and around to see who's watching, then get up like nothing happened when there's not ref. It TOTALLY reminds me of naughty children.!

Then you should watch the Italians more. They also like to subtly foul on their opponents and pretend to be innocent when the referee lectures them or displays a card.

I laughed when I saw a Greek player do a creative 'non-foul' move by literally falling backwards!

Italians will do even better for you. Around the 10 minute mark DeRossi was running forward without any contact from a Paraguian defender and he just flung himself on the ground and started grimacing to suggest that he was undergoing excruciating pain. Within 10 to 20 seconds he was back up on his feet trying to refrain from smiling, he even fooled the commentators who thought that he must have pulled of a muscle. I would buy that if his whole team did not have a history of simulating injuries and a similar scenario was reenacted by many of his teammates throughout the game.

Oh and by the way, if the Italians will be winning in an important match, they are not only going to dive but to pretend to be suffering from a serious injury by laying around on the field for multiple minutes just to waste time.

I should remove him as my avatar. He's gotta make that PK.

I am glad that he didn't, as it was Vidic's sheer stupidity that led to the penalty being awarded, there was no reason for him to dive at the ball with his hands forward. It was the same stupidity that led Serbia to lose the opening game to Ghana.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If fouls were more consistently spotted and dealt with, I think there'd be a lot less diving. In most cases I've seen the dives seem to be exaggerated reactions to genuine fouls in order to attract the attention of officials who'd otherwise ignore them. The kind of thing that triggers the over-reactions actually spoils my enjoyment of it more than the melodrama - which is just funny IMO - because pulling or holding on to another player actually prevents them from showing off what they can do as well as potentially affecting the outcome. The completely fabricated incidents are less common and as entertaining as they are I do agree that these should be punished quite severely, but having spoken to much older fans about it I'm told referees used to be stricter and the game was better to watch because players didn't commit as many fouls in the first place.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
heh, I had no idea. Who do you support in the Bundesliga?

I like German football but cannot pretend I am saddened by today's result :tongue: But I think Germany will get over it. If you come second you will likely play England, and I definitely fancy your chances in that contest!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Fair enough. But you should recognize that football doesn't think of itself in terms of a sport that needs to "expand". In fact the central footballing countries of Europe and Latin America don't care much if the rest of the world plays or not,and they certainly won't change their style of play to attract others.

Of course that's an arrogant attitude and I don't condone it. But it's pretty much reality.

By the way, do you like rugby league? It's a good sport.
Yeah, I realise that. It just galls me that people aren't concerned enough about making the sport the best it can be. Instead there is general public acceptance of negative play.

I do like league although rugby is better :D. I actually enjoy a wide range of sports. You should see me during the Olympics, I'm glued to the screen :popc1:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

That wasnt Podolskis fault, the whole team sucked and he couldnt make up for them.

I have no idea whats going on again, but the whole performance was very weak. Looked like they didnt even want to win and a Ballack was bigtime missing this moment. Just have no strong captain at the moment to keep up morales.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
That wasnt Podolskis fault, the whole team sucked and he couldnt make up for them.

I have no idea whats going on again, but the whole performance was very weak. Looked like they didnt even want to win and a Ballack was bigtime missing this moment. Just have no strong captain at the moment to keep up morales.

Serbia did take a more defensive approach to midfield and that seemed to really help, you're right that Ballack's presence would have helped there. But I still think Lahm, Podolski, Schweinsteiger, etc have been around long enough to have leadership and Ozil and Muller have won with U21 teams [I think?] so it's not like this should be that huge a step up for them.

They did play lousy but there were a lot of missed chances, even when down a man.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Serbia did take a more defensive approach to midfield and that seemed to really help, you're right that Ballack's presence would have helped there. But I still think Lahm, Podolski, Schweinsteiger, etc have been around long enough to have leadership and Ozil and Muller have won with U21 teams [I think?] so it's not like this should be that huge a step up for them.

They did play lousy but there were a lot of missed chances, even when down a man.

Yes you are right, I was just missing any initiative. Lukas was the only one who tried at least, of Lahm or Schweinsteiger I have seen nothing. They have to find someone to take on more responsibility. They started with attack patterns but got confused half way themselves because noone took lead and gave clear direction on which attack pattern to go down on.

Of course Serbia played a great game, but they played defense against 10 german players and that always shows which team has the better talent.

This was the first time this new formed team had to work under pressure and out of confusion and hopefully that bad experience now helped.

Well its over now, keep thumbs crossed and dont blame Poldi, he's still one of the best and was the Best to me in todays game :).

--------------

I hope the Americans dont loose today, I am still hoping for eight finals of germany - usa :)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Yeah, I realise that. It just galls me that people aren't concerned enough about making the sport the best it can be. Instead there is general public acceptance of negative play.

I do like league although rugby is better :D. I actually enjoy a wide range of sports. You should see me during the Olympics, I'm glued to the screen :popc1:

There is only one rugby, and it's 13-a-side.:tongue: The Kiwis are good at it too.

I won't lie to you, both as a supporter and a player (my nickname as a player is Materazzi to give you an idea), I want my team to win first and foremost, entertainment comes second. It's a luxury football can afford in most countries because people will never stop watching whatever happens.

I've been to matches were there were deaths caused by fights between rival supproters and the police. Or game after game of mediocre football, and people keep going every week, in relatively "inelastic" numbers.

Obviously in your country it's different. I wish you football fans in New Zealand all the best. :) I just think you are hoping for a miracle if you think players will stop diving or teams will play more offensively in order to help the game expand.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Slovenia 2 - 2 USA