• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guitar solos in rock music: yay or nay?

What is your opinion on guitar solos in rock?

• Total voters

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Guitar solos that punctuate or enhance the mood of the song have been imtegral to rock from it's beginning. Think Scotty Moore, Bill Haley, Chuck Berry.

At some point the need to showcase at the expense of the song became acceptable and even anticipated. That's wonderful with players like Gilmour who can take and idea and expand on it so soulfully within the framework of the song. Brian May is a master of tasteful crisp punctuation as is Joe Perry.

For me, Rock has to have the guitar...and a melody is nice too.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm completely fine with them but they've gotten to like the NBA Dunk Competition was up until the last two years, fairly repetitive and routine. I don't know the terms of music but I like complex kind of "solos" that are being played as an underlining to the singer singing.

I don't mind extended solos w/in songs at concerts but I remember seeing quite a few concerts back in hs and college when the band would leave the stage and the guitarist(s) would do his or her thing. 9 times outta 10, no matter how good the guitarist, I'd find the solo to drag on too long. I know now it's not all ego but giving other band members a rest that's figured in to it but still, even Eddie VH I was like, ok, I'm gonna sit down now.

I'll have to think of who I thought was best. Have seen Clapton and Brian May was mentioned and whathisface from Metallica. The dudes from Maiden were good as well. I'll have to think about that. I really like Eruption and Mean Streets from Halen albums as well as the solo on Rock & Roll Machine by Triumph.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
+1, very much agreed.
Let's add Robert Fripp's twenty-one-minute solo from No Pussyfooting, which was reportedly "like steering a battleship," and make it +2.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
The problem with a lot of guitar solos is the people playing them are just pissing around and playing very, very fast, which does not impress me. A lot of people seem to think the guitar solo is the guitarists finest moment, and theoretically, it is, but I would never judge a guitarist based on how well they can solo, but on how they play rythem, because thats where you really need to know your shit as far as I'm concerned. The exception is B.B. King, who can't play rythem at all (his own words, he literally doesn't EVER play rythem, just melody and soloing), but is definitely one of the best because his solo's are so perfect melodically speaking. Hendrix is the ultimate guitarist as far as I'm concerned because although his solo's are mind blowingly amazing, his sheer vision for songwriting -the melodies, the counter melodies, and the rythem and chords, is indescribable to me. Everyone loves Voodoo Child for the soloing, but Hendrix' real talent comes out on his songs that arn't based on improvisation. The Wind Cries Mary is as cool as any of Hendrix extended live solos (which still make me :drool: cause Hendrix was so good). Hendrix is way better than anyone has ever given him credit for, ever, because most people trivialize his skill by saying "ROFL LISSEN TO VOODOO CHILD ITS RELLY GUD LOOK HOW FAST HE PLAYZ" when his stuff is easily on par with any fully orchastrated composer in terms of the actual composition of the chords and melodies and everything. Hendrix is my personal savior :laugh:

So, I enjoy a solo when it is played well and the music it is played too is great as well.

Didums

Yngwie Malmsteen! His arpeggios will make your head explode!

Every Great song has a Great solo in it, its just how rock music works.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
rock without guitar solo is like man without dick

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Slayer's solos are the worst. It like someone strangling a cat.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Slayer's solos are the worst. It like someone strangling a cat.
I'm pretty sure Kerry King's definition of a solo is "Hold a note while you flail on the whammy bar"

Also I enjoy solos, just as long as they're taking away from the music. If there are no solos in it, it all tends to mesh in and no song really stands out(In general)

Some Noteable solos that I really enjoy: Rush's "The Camera Eye" and the entire end of BTBAM's "Selkies: The Endless Obsession"

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would like more instrumental solos, not necessarily just guitars. I would like to hear bass, keys, and guitar and perhaps even a drum solo here & there. I'm not necessarily fond of the traditional 80's style guitar solos. However, I do like non-traditional solos like the guitar on the opening of Mayonnaise by Smashing Pumpkins for instance.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
What do you guys think of Eric Lifeson from Rush? He has some fairly hypnotic leads/solos from time to time.

Eddie Van Halen(90's), Jimmy Hendrix, Jeff Healey(rip), S.R Vaughan, Eric Clapton(60's),... Slash was a little over-hyped, however, he is still an amazing musician.

LucrativeSid

Rock guitar solos are good as long as they are good. :) Half the time, they end up being my favorite part of a song.

HOWEVER, drum solos and bass solos are important too. Sometimes people place way too much emphasis on certain kinds of song structures.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yay for sure! the longer the better...i like that jam freestyle stuff a lot...like they're just inspired all of a sudden...it's cool. :)