• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guitar solos in rock music: yay or nay?

What is your opinion on guitar solos in rock?

• Total voters

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
For those of you who don't like guitar solos, listen to Pink Floyd's "Time" once more, and reconsider your options.

Crazy. I was listening to "Time" last week, losing myself in what an amazing solo that really is. I've heard it a thousand times and never seriously paid attention. But, you're right. It's such a draw. The David Gilmour style of solo makes a solo worth its weight and more. He gives the notes a lot of room to breathe, his tone is to die for, outstanding sense of melody, on and on.

The typical rock solo gets masturbatory and technical.

I don't know why no one's mentioned Jimi Hendrix, since he's the guitarist's guitarist...

I never cared for Hendrix solos. I love the rhythms he produced, though.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
god i fucking love guitar solos. it usually varies though on how they're incorporated into the song. if it's a lyric based, emotional type song and long technical solo may not suitable because it then takes away from what the song was originally portraying....though there are a lot of metal bands nowadays that still do solos, though not as progressive and extensive as bands like led zep or pink floyd.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like solos in rock when they serve the song. I tend not to care for them when their purpose is otherwise.

I think the thing I get the most pleasure from in hearing a solo is timbral expression and manipulation, especially when that expression speaks to an emotional state set up by the song.

David Gilmour's solo on Pink Floyd's "Time" is a perfect example of this, and is perhaps my favorite rock solo of all time. His control of harmonic drive and timbral response in the amp is just beautiful to me.

I guess I don't feel one way or the other about solos themselves. If they work for the situation and context, then great.

For sound texture I tend to like overdrives and germanium fuzzes, as well as the saturation of EL84 and EL34 tubes in classic British tone stack topology. Old-school I guess. ;)

cheers,
Ian

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love solos as long as they remain true to the song. They can lift a song out of doldrums and provide a climax. I kind of relate them to a climactic action scene 3/4 of the way through a movie.

I never really paid attention to the solo in "Time", I'll have to listen again. I have always loved Gilmour's solos in "Money" and "Comfortably Numb" though.

My favorite guitarists are Jack White, Buddy Guy, Vernon Reid, Dan Auerbach, Matthew Bellamy, David Gilmour, Pete Townshend, Billy Corgan, Prince, Robert Randolph and since it's so hard to tell who plays what, everyone who plays guitar for Lynyrd Skynyrd and My Morning Jacket.

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
I am going to have to give a good guitar solo a big HELLS YES!

There haven't been many in recent years that are truly worthy but Kristan Mallory of Endeverafter has piqued my interest. :wub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjrbcoedSQM

and then of course there is teh hawtness.......

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Heck yeah. Guitar solos ftw. There is nothing in music that can get you pumped up like a well-crafted solo. I think the best time in rock was the 1970s, where the solos were an organic and integrated part of the song. The 80s stuff either had no guitars at all, or too many guys showboating. Now it seems like everyone is into piano and strings, which to me is pop, not rock. I'm ready for the return of rock.

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
Heck yeah. Guitar solos ftw. There is nothing in music that can get you pumped up like a well-crafted solo. I think the best time in rock was the 1970s, where the solos were an organic and integrated part of the song. The 80s stuff either had no guitars at all, or too many guys showboating. Now it seems like everyone is into piano and strings, which to me is pop, not rock. I'm ready for the return of rock.

I'm with you babe, I miss the sound of sweaty hot dudes just shredding !

*wistful sigh*

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
There are some shredders out there, new ones. My nephew was listening to some band the other day and I could have sworn that guy was playing a weed-eater, it was so fast. The popularity of Guitar Hero is bringing life back to the guitar and solos.

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
The popularity of Guitar Hero is bringing life back to the guitar and solos.

Agreed! I'm not a gamer but the DH and kids are, and the kids have taken on a whole new appreciation for some of the classic guitar solos, and me, being the "super serious old-fashioned mom" that I am, take great pride in seeing the kids ears perk up and air guitar to some of the "classics" that I love so much!

PLAY FREE BIRD!

MBTI Type
ENTP
oh! everyone's talking about "Time" and one of the greatest guitar solos ever (there's no such thing as the single greatest one) has not, to my knowledge, been mentioned...

Derek and the Dominos with Eric Clapton doing his thing in "Layla". <--- As pointed out in three posts by EffemDoubleyou, Duane Allman was responsible for much of the solo work in Layla... my bad.

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
I can see the appeal in Zappa's composition and lyrics, but I never thought of him as a guitar soloist.

MBTI Type
INTJ
oh! everyone's talking about "Time" and one of the greatest guitar solos ever (there's no such thing as the single greatest one) has not, to my knowledge, been mentioned...

Derek and the Dominos with Eric Clapton doing his thing in "Layla".

Clapton's a great player, but I'm pretty sure that the iconic guitar part on "Layla" is played by Duane Allman, also an all-time great.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Clapton's a great player, but I'm pretty sure that the iconic guitar part on "Layla" is played by Duane Allman, also an all-time great.

Thank you for pointing that out... Duane Allman did much of the solo work, including the iconic slide, which really took the song over the edge... but I won't feel too bad since Clapton and Allman did duel during the song.

More great guitar solos.... Clapton in "Crossroads" (live)... Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird"...

Abhaya

MBTI Type
INFP
I can see the appeal in Zappa's composition and lyrics, but I never thought of him as a guitar soloist.

Check out Zappa's albums titled "Guitar" and "Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar" they are nothing but guitar solos... they are dense listening though.

dorareever

MBTI Type
INFP
Usual guitar-hero metalhead solos where you play two billions notes in a row: no. I find them boring.

Stuff like Pete Townshend used to play: HELL YEAH!

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
i love solo's ! music without it isn't really music ;)

i'm not particulary a metalhead, but Kirk Hammett has tons of awesome solo's. especially on the 80's albums. i can play a few of them myself, just as long as it doesn't involve tapping.

my all time favorite guitar solo is the one on Wuthering Heights.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Fuck guitar solos. I was reminded when I posted this (1:47) in the share your favorite music thread just now.....trumpet solos are where it's at.