• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Musical Instrument(s)

P

Phantonym

Guitar, cello, piano...and just about anything that can squeeze out a wonderful sound. :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
0549airlinecustom2.jpg

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
My doubtless eclectic selection!

If I play it myself, I probably ought to like it on principle, otherwise why bother? Well, I'll list the instruments I like most out of what I play, there are a few others I can't be arsed to mention because they're not interesting or fun enough. Otherwise, I'll just list the things I most like to hear, or would like to play if I had the time/opportunity/ability. This may make the first part of the list even more eclectic than the second, as I have reason to be intimately acquainted with the fine distinctions between several obscure percussion instruments that most people haven't even heard of!

Stuff I play

Tabla

Pakhawaj

Khanjira

Mridangam

Khol

Bodhrán

Stuff I don't play

Sitar

Sarangi

Cello

Rudra Vina

Bamboo flutes (in general, there are a lot of different varieties)

Hammered dulcimers (how can anyone not like hammered dulcimers? :))

Launeddas (Sardinian triple reed pipes, an ancestor of the bagpipes.)

Bagpipes are quite interesting too, as long as they're not too screechy. For this reason I think I prefer the quieter varieties such as the Border pipes. Highland bagpipes actually hurt my ears within a few hundred yards. ;)

Guqin

Oboes (in general, both the orchestral kinds and the various other types used in folk and world music)

Violin/fiddles (as long as they're used in moderation and played well, otherwise they can be excruciatingly effective implements of aural torture)

Pipe organs/harmoniums

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP

They always remind me of Bill Bailey :D

ragashree said:
Bagpipes are quite interesting too, as long as they're not too screechy. For this reason I think I prefer the quieter varieties such as the Border pipes. Highland bagpipes actually hurt my ears within a few hundred yards. ;)

Have you heard Uileann Pipes? They're a bit gentler on the ears and actually pretty cool. I'd love to learn them at some point. Examples:
YouTube - Davy Spillane Caoineadh Cu Chulainn Uilleann Pipes Riverdance The Show Dublin 1995 Stereo
YouTube - Finbar Furey ~ "The Coolin" Uilleann (Irish) Pipes

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Percussion. Hands down.
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rJWW_KqeAw"]Black Fire Percussion[/YOUTUBE]

and of course, the Bb Contrabass Clarinet
selmer_BBb-contrabass.jpg

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6HteNRMU5U&feature=related"]Contrabass Clarinet[/YOUTUBE]

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Have you heard Uileann Pipes? They're a bit gentler on the ears and actually pretty cool. I'd love to learn them at some point. Examples:
YouTube - Davy Spillane Caoineadh Cu Chulainn Uilleann Pipes Riverdance The Show Dublin 1995 Stereo
YouTube - Finbar Furey ~ "The Coolin" Uilleann (Irish) Pipes

My knowledge of the Irish stuff is a bit patchy, I've probably heard them before without knowing what they are. But, yes, they do sound pretty good, thanks. :) I think I've got my own hands full at the moment with what I do already (literally!) but if you have the chance, I say go for it!

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The keyboard instruments are the superior instruments. They allow a single musician to do more than any other instruments do.

My preference is the organ. Organs have such powerful, fascinating sounds, and of course the eternal sustain is preferable to the piano's fade out. They are also easy to get a sound out of. Of course, the downside is that you don't have dynamic control over the organ like you do the piano.

In a lot of ways, the harpsichord is inferior to the piano, but I have a soft spot for it. I like the way it sounds.

Also, celestas are cool. :D

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Shit, I COMPLETELY forgot the most beautiful instrument on the whole face of the Earth:

BAGPIPES!!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO5y2O_hv3I"]Amazing Grace - Scottish Bagpipes [/YOUTUBE]

crumejack

I like the guitar because I remember being about 5 and my dad playing it for me all the time. Now that I play I do the same thing for my kids

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Cello
Bassoon
French Horn
Violin
Drums|Percussion
Trumpet
Piano

debbiegirl

I love instruments like the piano, violin, and guitar, but I think I have a particular fondness for the Asian zither. To me, they sound so beautiful and bittersweet. The instruments gives off a very nostalgia feeling for me when I'm listening to it...

b379bb574aedaf3147fb5627eaa76d80.jpg

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Violin and piano. I play both (though my main instrument is the violin).

Violins are beauuutifullll... Both in terms of looks and sound.

soilstradviolin.jpg

^ Soil, a Stradivari.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
#1: Bagpipes
#2: Theremin
#3: Vibraphone

And of course the human voice can be beautiful at times as well.

O

Oberon

My violin is my best instrument, and so also my favorite even though I humiliate it by playing it like a fiddle. :D

It's a Lewis student model, but it's got a solid spruce top (the current student models have plywood tops), and I've been playing it for over 30 years now. The steady use has mellowed the sound somewhat, and good strings make a world of difference.