• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

M.I.A.'s Banned Video

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
M.I.A. Born Free

It's amazing to me that it's okay for people to actually be treated like this and worse, but for an artist to make a statement about it is unacceptable???

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The music in the very beginning reminds me of the music in Irreversible. Sends chills up my spine just thinking about it.

The rest of the song is pretty annoying.

kendoiwan

I am Sofa King!!!
MBTI Type
IsTP
The music in the very beginning reminds me of the music in Irreversible. Sends chills up my spine just thinking about it.

The rest of the song is pretty annoying.

It very well may be, I actually didn't listen as I was wrapped up in the visual and trying to figure out why exactly it was banned.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
A man was smoking pot and there are naked people having sex (go figure). That may have something to do with it.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Okay I'm sold, that's an awesome song with an awesome music video.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let me start off saying that I love M.I.A., I love noisy music and I love a good conspiracy. I thought the video was great. I see it as mocking the absurdity of racial profiling individuals as terrorists and as "the problem" by our society, primarily our government. Setting up these red haired, fair skinned dudes seems utter ridiculous to me (and to many other people I'm sure) but why is that? Is it because we find fire crotches comical or is it because we could never imagine "the white man" being gathered up like herds of cattle ready to be shipped to the slaughterhouse? I think the video presented a realistic perspective as to what it's really like when a government commits such acts defiling a certain race(look).

I enjoyed the pot head guy chillin' while chaos runs a muck right outside his doorstep, the fugly couple getting it on and getting interrupted by pigs and the baby faced ginger who was caught in the building being raided. I also can't deny I love a little gore and watching those red heads get blown up to pieces was partially scary and enjoyable, but not in the sense where I like to see human agony and would like to partake in dismemberment, but because i think it drove the point home. As ridiculous as racial profiling is, the fact of the matter is that it will always end in destruction. You can take that literally or metaphorically.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
This video presumably is about the genocide in Sri Lanka -- the conclusion of the civil war and the continuing oppression of ethnic Tamils -- and the lack of action from the UN and the international community ... the absence of checks and balances in SL, and the capacity of the Sinhalese majority to perpetrate genocide is pretty startling, and MIA is one of the few major voices who has spoken out on the issue.

A cool but troubling video.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's shit being ginger. No doubt about it.

Jokes aside. It's one of the better music vids I've seen for a while. It had a point, and there was no ridiculous botty shaking. Not sure why it was banned though.

R

Riva

the absence of checks and balances in SL, and the capacity of the Sinhalese majority to perpetrate genocide is pretty startling, and MIA is one of the few major voices who has spoken out on the issue.

Yes, and it is also startling that the UN neglects the fact the main dish of the Sinhalese people are fried Tamil balls and they serve that dish even in UN HQ.

You sure know a lot. And you sure get the right information. And how couldn't you get the right information? You watch M.I.A videos. That's the least biased stories you'll ever hear. :)

:hifive:

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Interesting. i always become very intrigued when things get banned for anything related to graphic violence or sexuality. based on the knowledge I have I see parallels being drawn between gingerism in the UK and Tamil oppression burymecloser mentioned.

i'm gonna poke and prod my ISTJ friend on this; mostly because I'm the only one who could probably get away with it the way that I do. he's part Sinhalese (mum and dad are both from UK), and while otherwise being a very level-headed guy he hates her and refuses to listen to her music...his reasoning being that she's "the daughter of a terrorist".