• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Books that changed your life

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Both of these titles have aided me immensely in dealing with other people.

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
Harry Potter was read to me when it came out in about 2 years, then i started reading it myself... i have now read them so many times i cannot count them..

the books made me realize that i love to read and have pictures in my head, and that i want to create such pictures in other people's minds too.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Many people failed to mention the Bible.

What do you want? My parents are hardcore God-doesn't-exist-and-there-is-nothing-after-life-just-boring-darkness-and-silence-and-no-funists. I am the world's only Time-is-round-and-I-don't-care-about-the-restist. No need for religious books.

Lark

What do you want? My parents are hardcore God-doesn't-exist-and-there-is-nothing-after-life-just-boring-darkness-and-silence-and-no-funists. I am the world's only Time-is-round-and-I-don't-care-about-the-restist. No need for religious books.

You should write about that, perhaps you are a mystic.

H

Hate

Mysticism: The Nature and Development of Spiritual Consciousness by Evelyn Underhill.

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"Cyrano de Bergerac" - Edmond Rostand
The Bible
"A Riot of Our Own" - Johnny Green
"Surprised By Joy" - C.S. Lewis
"The Complete Works of Robert Browning"

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think tonight.

Mole

Permabanned
Mysticism: The Nature and Development of Spiritual Consciousness by Evelyn Underhill.

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis

And, "The Cloud of Unknowing", by Anonymous.

And how appropriate it was written by Anonymous, and how well they would have fitted in here.

Their username could simply be 'Anonymous'.

Of course they would drive the literal-minded mad. But that is what the literal-minded are for.

Anonymous could strike from the shadows deep into our minds replacing literalism with metaphor.

Indeed Anonymous is a metaphor for unknowing.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The Bible - It formed a great deal of how I think about morality and my world view in general

The Chronicles of Narnia - The books that revealed to me my love of reading

The Lord of the Rings - My drug of choice during my teenage years

Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus - Taught me that my husband cannot read my mind no matter how much he loves me

The Boundaries Book - Helped reduce some of my co-dependency issues

The Betty Crocker Cookbook
- Between my two home ec classes and this book, I learned to cook well enough for my purposes, still refer back to it

Lark

I'm reading Eric Fromm's Beyond The Chains of Illusion: My Encounter With Marx and Freud, its an old book republished by continum, so I keep in mind that whatever revelations it may contain for me personally they have been around for some time and probably exacted as much change as is likely already. So far its good, it repeats but in summation a lot of his ideas that I've read from elsewhere.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I had a little epiphany. Up until now I hadn't realized how much these two stories had affected me. But at a time, when I was like 7 or so, this book containing two Oscar Wilde stories (Selfish Giant and Star Child) beautiful illustrated by P. Craig Russel, influenced me immensely.

It completely revolutionized my Fi outlook on life. It's intimately related to how I feel I don't deserve to be happy...my empathy for the pariahs leads me in turn to be resentful of other people and normal, natural things. I realized this the other day, while talking to my brother...he was explaining how I needed to relax (the cheeky J!) and enjoy life......and he was the one who gave me the book when I was a little kid!

Nicodemus

'The Castle' by Kafka; Nietzsche; Cioran; Schopenhauer; 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoyevsky; 'This Craft of Verse' by Borges.