User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Woooow animorphs was amazing! It really got me reading
    Haha, yah it was an amazing series from what i remember. Although i didn't finish it since I got caught into the Dragonlance series.

Raistlin was my hero when I was in high school lol .
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

The Chronicals of Narnia really set my interest in bigger book reading at 10.
    I remember I read all 7 books in that week. I was just so set on finishing it.

I also think that any book by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker seem to really change my views on life and spirituality. I love those two authors.

Ted Dekkers, "Red" "Black" and "White" series really opened my eyes.
    The same with Frank Peretti's "The Oath" and "This Present Darkness"
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

- dr. seuss's hop on pop was my first
    - never big into harry potter, but really dug a series of unfortunate events.. never read the last few though.
    - a clockwork orange
    - the bell jar, as a sad wee thing
    - tropic of cancer
    - beautiful losers by leonard cohen. had avoided it previously cos i didn't like the title.. big mistake, really dig
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Ahhh, books .

I believe every one I've read has had some meaning, or impact, in my life. However, if I had to choose a life-changing moment in the whole of my reading history, I'd say when I picked up my first Dr. Seuss book at age five and my first Orwell book at about eleven. The latter turned me into "serious adult" reading. It was all over for me at that point.

More recently, I read Color: A Natural History of Palette by Victoria Finlay, and that book definitely changed my perception on a few things .

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

In however small a way, every book I've read has somehow changed my life. I could mention many, I could mention a dozen, but instead I'll mention a couple. They are Thus Spoke Zarathustra, which introduced me to philosophy, and Being and Nothingness, which was the sneeze (if I may use such a word for that masterpiece) that lead to an avalanche. To those I will add another couple: Harry Potter, which brought my fondness for books to a new level, and the Bible, simply because I grew up in a religious home and live in a culture shaped by that book.

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    The Chronicals of Narnia really set my interest in bigger book reading at 10.
    I remember I read all 7 books in that week. I was just so set on finishing it.
    I remember loving those books at that age, but then my parents made me stop reading them because they were "Satanic." (Oh the irony.)
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    I remember loving those books at that age, but then my parents made me stop reading them because they were "Satanic." (Oh the irony.)
    Seriously? Those are the least 'satanic' books ever. How sad
    Those books spurred my imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

All of these had a different impact, I love them all.

Shibumi *such a good book*
    The Old Man and the Sea
    Slaughterhouse Five
    Moving Toward Stillness
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

''It's not how good you are. but how good you wanna be''

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Okay...I had to think about this for a while, and ultimately decided to include only books that changed my life, as in very significantly shaped the person that I am today. With that in mind:

Stonewords: A Ghost Story by Pam Conrad
    This is the first book I ever remember being completely enthralled with. I remember staying up all night to read it cover-to-cover and being chilled and saddened both by the fate of the main character's best friend. I would count this and Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising as the most influential books in my childhood.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
    Reading Jane Eyre in middle school marks the first time I was truly enchanted by a fictional romance. I remember being in chills and crying while reading Jane's breakdown ("Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! I have as much soul as you, and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty, and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you.") and Mr. Rochester's proposal. A lifelong love of fictional romances ensued.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
    This series will always hold a special place in my heart, but I consider it "life-changing" primarily because my interest in the Harry Potter books got me involved in internet culture. I met several very close friends through Harry Potter message boards and chatrooms. I still think that Ms. Rowling crafted some of the best-plotted books I've ever read, whether intended for children or adults.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
    The excesses, the tragedy...

1984 by George Orwell
    I think the thing I most took from reading 1984 in high school was an appreciation for the power of written and spoken language: particularly the idea that restricting our way of expressing thoughts actually restricts the way we think. I was fascinated by the way that society phased out dissent and the younger generation had no recollection of what it was like to be free. The ending is also very affecting.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
    I read this in college, and I've rarely felt such an instinctive connection with a novel. It contrasts the fragility of human life with the enduring power of familial love. It's one of the only books that has made me cry every time I've read it. Reading this book shifted, in some small but significant way, the way I view people in my life and value connecting with people.

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdsister View Post
    Please add any books that changed your outlook/philosophy on life.
    Playboy
    The War of Art
    Mastery
    Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy
    Education of a Bodybuilder
    Getting To Yes
    Getting Things Done