• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Philadelphia is a wonderful place

MBTI Type
INTJ
Here we go again with another round of articles about the Santa Claus-pelting, injury-cheering, worse than Hitler Philly fans. Awesome. It's a good thing sports fans in other cities are never boorish.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Here we go again with another round of articles about the Santa Claus-pelting, injury-cheering, worse than Hitler Philly fans. Awesome. It's a good thing sports fans in other cities are never boorish.
Don't forget battery throwing...

Of course there are boorish fans in every city. Philadelphia fans just take it to another level. Who the hell vomits on someone purposely?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yeah, never got their unhappiness with him. I mean...5 NFC champ games in a decade. Sign me up. Guess you have to be a fan though, like a whole decade of blue balls.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Unless you happen to be Donovan McNabb.

Oh, we hate a lot of our players. In the end, it's the team and its success that matters. That's all. Personally, I always liked Donovan. He had some infuriating tendencies, but he was the best QB we've had.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Didn't read the article, but Mets fans have that effect on us.

Seriously, this was disgusting. A new low for the City of Brotherly Love.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh, we hate a lot of our players. In the end, it's the team and its success that matters. That's all. Personally, I always liked Donovan. He had some infuriating tendencies, but he was the best QB we've had.

But a lot of the players we get on actually deserve it. I'm completely mystified at the hate for McNabb and the foot in the ass he got on the way out the door from the fans. Mostly because their criticisms of him weren't quantifiable and have a tenuous (at best) correlation with actually being a good football player. They sound like things you say when you hate someone but you have no legitimate gripe. "He smiles when they're losing." "He threw up during the Super Bowl." "He's not a leader." "He's a company man." "He chokes." "We'll never win the Super Bowl with him."

People collected all their accumulated frustration at ten years of getting close but not winning and projected it on McNabb. First, this completely ignores that the team was a consistent winner for ten years, and luck has a bigger part in this than anyone cares to admit. You just have to be in the mix. Did anyone see the 2007 Giants, 2008 Cardinals or 2009 Saints coming? Second, it assumes that there is a special quality inherent in QBs that win the Super Bowl that McNabb does not possess. (Despite the fact that John Elway and Peyton Manning were likewise said to not have this "championship quality" before going out and winning. And despite the fact that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have rings.) Third and finally, it assumes that Kevin Kolb is Joe Montana because he had a good game against the vaunted Chiefs and piled up garbage yards in a blowout loss against the Saints (in which, incidentally, the turning point was a pick six by Kolb.)

I guess my question to all those who couldn't wait to get McNabb out the door is, "What do you want?" It doesn't make any sense to get rid of someone who keeps you in the mix every year because you're bored of watching him and you don't like his demeanor. Kolb might be great, but he might suck, too. Oh well, at least he's white.

(Yeah, I said it. McNabb is too black for the white fans and not black enough for the black fans. Just ask Bernard Hopkins.)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
But a lot of the players we get on actually deserve it. I'm completely mystified at the hate for McNabb and the foot in the ass he got on the way out the door from the fans. Mostly because their criticisms of him weren't quantifiable and have a tenuous (at best) correlation with actually being a good football player. They sound like things you say when you hate someone but you have no legitimate gripe. "He smiles when they're losing." "He threw up during the Super Bowl." "He's not a leader." "He's a company man." "He chokes." "We'll never win the Super Bowl with him."

People collected all their accumulated frustration at ten years of getting close but not winning and projected it on McNabb. First, this completely ignores that the team was a consistent winner for ten years, and luck has a bigger part in this than anyone cares to admit. You just have to be in the mix. Did anyone see the 2007 Giants, 2008 Cardinals or 2009 Saints coming? Second, it assumes that there is a special quality inherent in QBs that win the Super Bowl that McNabb does not possess. (Despite the fact that John Elway and Peyton Manning were likewise said to not have this "championship quality" before going out and winning. And despite the fact that Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have rings.) Third and finally, it assumes that Kevin Kolb is Joe Montana because he had a good game against the vaunted Chiefs and piled up garbage yards in a blowout loss against the Saints (in which, incidentally, the turning point was a pick six by Kolb.)

I guess my question to all those who couldn't wait to get McNabb out the door is, "What do you want?" It doesn't make any sense to get rid of someone who keeps you in the mix every year because you're bored of watching him and you don't like his demeanor. Kolb might be great, but he might suck, too. Oh well, at least he's white.

(Yeah, I said it. McNabb is too black for the white fans and not black enough for the black fans. Just ask Bernard Hopkins.)

You'd be surprised to learn that there are a lot of fans who love McNabb and are sad to see him go. I'm one of them. If anything, I would have sent the Big Pig Andy Reid on his way and kept McNabb. It was a money move that sent him on his way. It made more sense, economically, to send him packing. So while I hate the move, I understand why it happened.

McNabb does get a bad rep here for his stands on TO, and some of the other decisions made. He is definitely a company man, and won't say or do much to cause controversy. While people consider him a sellout, he has his integrity at the end of the day. It has kept him going 11 years strong in the NFL, while those talkers and nay-sayers have faded into obscurity. A lot of the stuff he was in the middle didn't involve him directly. The media looks at QBs as leaders, so he is involved by that reason.

Just like the media focuses on those negative fans who are glad to see him go. Not the actual case though.

MBTI Type
INTJ
You'd be surprised to learn that there are a lot of fans who love McNabb and are sad to see him go. I'm one of them. If anything, I would have sent the Big Pig Andy Reid on his way and kept McNabb. It was a money move that sent him on his way. It made more sense, economically, to send him packing. So while I hate the move, I understand why it happened.

McNabb does get a bad rep here for his stands on TO, and some of the other decisions made. He is definitely a company man, and won't say or do much to cause controversy. While people consider him a sellout, he has his integrity at the end of the day. It has kept him going 11 years strong in the NFL, while those talkers and nay-sayers have faded into obscurity. A lot of the stuff he was in the middle didn't involve him directly. The media looks at QBs as leaders, so he is involved by that reason.

Just like the media focuses on those negative fans who are glad to see him go. Not the actual case though.

Yeah, there are. I'm one of them, too. And you're right that Andy never did him any favors. I always got mad when he'd pass 65-70% of the time when McNabb played and then call a more balanced offense when the backups were in (no wonder the offense looked good, dur!)

I was always flabbergasted when fans took TO's side in that thing. At the outset most fans took McNabb's side, but when they had the bad season in '05, it seems more people took up for TO because they missed his production. Which is kind of convenient and irresponsible, in my opinion.

I'm still not convinced that McNabb's fans are a silent majority though. WIP had that city whipped into a frenzy, and by the end it seemed like the McNabb haters were the majority. I fervently hope Kolb is everything these people seem to think he is, but I just think it's a huge roll of the dice to gamble on it when you have a bunch of offensive talent coming of age at the same time like we do.

Oh well, I've used up too much bandwidth already talking about this :D