• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Last season of "Lost" aka WTF?!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it all should have been a dream and Kate and Clair should have woken up together raising their lesbian-love baby.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Spoilers, etc.

It certainly didn't answer even a fraction of the questions that were left open (how could it), but I rather enjoyed it. I thought about it a bit last night (insomnia, bleh), and it seems like the whole flash-sideways thing was really just the construction of Jack's heaven. Allowing the people who were central in his life at the end of his life to go from their generic selves into the people they were with Jack, at the happiest they could be. For those of us who like happy endings, it was a rather novel way of getting an awful lot of them.

I thought, going into it, that it was going to be about the island, and that this story was simply one turning of a wheel, so to speak -- that Jack and Locke would take their turns as the next Jacob/MIB. I was pretty off-target there :D. More about the characters (especially Jack, even more so than ever), and less about the island.

Best lines:

Hurley: "I have a bad feeling about this" -- right after another Star Wars reference.. no *way* this was an accident.

Christian (paraphrased): "Everybody dies -- some here died before you, some long after you" (oh shoot -- I forget the rest of it). But that one line really tied together, for me, what the whole flash-sideways and final scenes were about.

On the whole, not as good as the finale of Six Feet Under (seriously, if you've not seen it, it's worth watching the good and bad of all five seasons just to get the finale), but certainly not as bad as BSG in the end. Nice wrapup, when you consider how impossible it would have been to wrap everything up, given how jerked around the viewers have been over the years.

Bye, Lost.

Thoughts?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On cell,i'll respond more later....but i hadinsomnia too...mostly because of the show...couldnt stop thinking. sigh.

i agree about it being impossible to answer all the questions. this sort of ending made some questions irrelevant.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I loved all the happy endings, but I'm still confused. I can't figure out when some of them were supposed to have died.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I don't understand how people can be upset with the ending. It's not far off from what I expected. I'm glad they didn't answer every question because I've seen other shows where they tried to do that and it was either a disaster or incredibly disappointing (like X-files).

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
i fell asleep but my husband filled me in when i woke up at the end. my first reaction was "wtf" but having watched it again this morning, it wasn't bad. this is a show that has yanked us all over since day one so i really didn't expect more than what was given. also, jack is just too fucking awesome. if i were lost on an island, in a freezer, on a boat, in an elevator, etc., i'd stick with him. ;)
I don't understand how people can be upset with the ending. It's not far off from what I expected.
neither do i.
I'm glad they didn't answer every question because I've seen other shows where they tried to do that and it was either a disaster or incredibly disappointing (like X-files).
totally.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think she is, they couldn't get her for the season opener, so I an doubting we see her at all.

I was wrong!

Desmond is revealing to everyone the other world.

PREDICTION

Jack gets mortally wounded and Hurley has to take over at the end.

I was right!

Enough with the stupid white font, if you haven't seen it yet you shouldn't be in this thread.

Hurley: "I have a bad feeling about this" -- right after another Star Wars reference.. no *way* this was an accident.

Not when he name-checked Yoda moments earlier!

There was no real other way to end it, I thought. It does seem that some people thought they died in the plane crash at the beginning, but I don't see how one could think that - you'd have to be ignoring a lot of other signs it was real to do so. Plus, the producers specifically shot down the "purgatory" theory way back during season one.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
^ yeah, if you haven't seen it stay outta this thread. ;P

ok so having not followed lost much at all this season, did they actually have those experiences together? were they all on that flight? was there even a real plane? i am getting conflicting information online. did claire really have a baby? why was penny there? gaahh! lol ;)

Usehername

On a mission
My only beef with the show is wondering why some characters were there in the church, but then others weren't. Presumably Walt was not because with a time-traveling show and a growing boy that's an issue, but what about, for example:

Penny was there, Ana Lucia was not.

Am I missing something or is this fact significantly lame?

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4

ok so having not followed lost much at all this season, did they actually have those experiences together? were they all on that flight? was there even a real plane? i am getting conflicting information online. did claire really have a baby? why was penny there? gaahh! lol ;)
The alternate timeline was not real, it was some sort of afterlife. The original timeline was real (confirmed by Christian at the end of the show).

Usehername

On a mission

Everything on the island was real (plane crash, surviving, living and dying). Everything in the sideways was purgatory-ish.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
My only beef with the show is wondering why some characters were there in the church, but then others weren't. Presumably Walt was not because with a time-traveling show and a growing boy that's an issue, but what about, for example:

From what I understand, it's this:

Characters that redeem themselves (or were never really "bad" in the first place) were in the church. Characters that didn't redeem themselves became the whispers you hear on the island.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I thought it was a bit lame they didn't gather everyone they could like Michael.

Though I'd have fallen out of my chair if Mr. Eko showed up.

Usehername

On a mission
From what I understand, it's this:

Characters that redeem themselves (or were never really "bad" in the first place) were in the church. Characters that didn't redeem themselves became the whispers you hear on the island.

I figured that's why Michael wasn't there, but no Ana Lucia, no Eko . . . I get that the mystery-questions were never important, simply interesting, but it seems like this final church thing was sort of central enough to do very thoughtfully.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
P.S. I never bought into Sayid-Shannon.

Sayid already had a great lost love. Shannon was just a fling. I don't know why they went that way with them yet again.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I figured that's why Michael wasn't there, but no Ana Lucia, no Eko . . . I get that the mystery-questions were never important, simply interesting, but it seems like this final church thing was sort of central enough to do very thoughtfully.
I'm guessing it would have been logistically impossible to get all of the hundreds of actors in the show together for that final scene. Once you're missing one character, does it matter if you're missing another?

Usehername

On a mission
I'm guessing it would have been logistically impossible to get all of the hundreds of actors in the show together for that final scene. Once you're missing one character, does it matter if you're missing another?

Well, if this one scene is so important, and they want fans to not be pissed off by a lack of logic, a simple one-liner referencing the missing characters, saying they were on their way or something, would maintain coherency. Now the answer to the character-driven story seems lame because the one thing that should make sense in the character-driven Lost (i.e. not the scifi fans of Lost) does not cohere.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Well, if this one scene is so important, and they want fans to not be pissed off by a lack of logic, a simple one-liner referencing the missing characters, saying they were on their way or something, would maintain coherency. Now the answer to the character-driven story seems lame because the one thing that should make sense in the character-driven Lost (i.e. not the scifi fans of Lost) does not cohere.
I guess I don't find the scene to be that important.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
The alternate timeline was not real, it was some sort of afterlife. The original timeline was real (confirmed by Christian at the end of the show).

Everything on the island was real (plane crash, surviving, living and dying). Everything in the sideways was purgatory-ish.

Why does everyone have to insist the island was "real" - they could have been dead the whole time and their souls having this experience together "on the island". Just sayin'

P.S. I never bought into Sayid-Shannon.

Sayid already had a great lost love. Shannon was just a fling. I don't know why they went that way with them yet again.

There, there, I know ...

---

Was thinking more about the show last night (gah, that's another reason I stopped watching this show; drags you into that world) there was a great deal of religious symbolism in that episode (more white out) ... with Jack - the cleansing of the water, like a baptism or communion, drinking from the cup. Moving to the light. Jack was even pierced in the side ... like Jesus ... with his disciples ... and like Jesus, dies alone at the end as atonement for the sins of all.

Anyways. If there had been a plan from the outset, and the series was kept tight to this theme of redemption, with the characters always carrying the weight rather than the puzzles and supposed symbolism and foolish constructs like alternate timelines muddying the waters, it would have been IMHO a much superior product at the end.

I checked out a couple of the Losties boards for context this morning; a lot of people want to believe that the island was "real" and the sideways world some type of holding place / purgatory ... it's almost a rationalization to want to believe that, at this point.

There's a movie that reminds me of this and I am struggling to remember the title ... will post once it comes back to me.