• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fire spell diversity in computer games

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Fire Spells need to hire more minorities and women. :nice:

Actually, this has to do with the lack of diversity of effects and types of spells that fire spells seem to have. Whereas earth, cold, air, holy, etc. types in seem to have lots of different types of effects, and lots of ways they in theory are doing those effects (air, for instance, has wind, lightning, temperature changes, etc.), fire types often end up as variation of fireballs and flames causing damage in various ways. This thread is just for other types of stuff that fire associated spells in computer games could do and still make sense.

One thought I had, for example, was for fire to get associated with bright light and blindness types of effects. One computer game I saw had fire associated with confusion effects, though that could be harder to pull off in some cases.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Maybe one can focus on how fire can be used over the different types of fire. Of one, fire is one of the most flexible and malleable elements around... people just have very uncreative ways of using it.

e.g.
Fire is the only element that can spread by itself... why this has not been utilized in most games is a mystery to me.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heroes III has fire blinding and bloodlusting, off the top of my head. I'm sure there's others.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
1. Having the ability to douse someone to increase its effect. E.g. Gasoline

2. Maybe an AoE fire would cause one to loose breath? E.g. Endurance reduction or as if one is drowning: Citing Half-life as my source, one can drown resulting in death but for every point of damage one would receive from drowning, one would heal it overtime if one made it to the surface to breath.

3. If consumed by flames, the following effects occur: subject's run speed increases substantially, subject becomes feared and blinded and subject emotes agony uncontrollably.

IlyaK1986

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Warm, gentle healing flames.

White holy beam flame.

Inferno red fire.

Magical blue flame.

Life-granting green flame.

Shadow Violet Flame and Black Flame.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
Neverwinter nights had a number of them. Not different kinds of flame, just different applications for it.

1. Fireball/Firebrand/Meteor Storm: Typical, bang
2. Wall of Fire/Incindiary Cloud: Static, placeable flames that last for a while and burn anything that enters or stays inside
3. Fire Shield: Wreathes the wizard in fire, any who attack them take fire damage if they hit successfully
4. Combust: Sets the target on fire, they burn and keep taking damage
5. Fire Elementals: Form of...A DUDE!
6. Flame Weapon: Adds fire damage to a weapon, which someone competent can then use (wizards are never competent with weapons, for some reason)
7. Warmth: From Diablo II, regenerates mana
8. Fire Charm: Causes a fire to become hypnotic, placing all who see it into a dumbfounded trance
9. Parting the Flames: Teleportation that moves from one existing fire to another like a gateway
10. Passion: C'mon, fire's always associated with gettin' it on somehow
11. Fire gazing: staring into the fire to scry, receive augries, etc.
12. Flaming Motorcycle: Ghost Rider! Fuck Yeah! ....ehhh, right, I'm done.