• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Starship Troopers

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
The movie utterly short-changed the concept of powered armor, or so I'm told... I never saw the film. But I read the book multiple times in high school, and it was extremely formative.

"On the bounce, trooper!"

Sir, yes sir...

B

ByMySword

I wish people would stop talking about the movie on this thread, which sucked compared to the book.

The philosophy in the book to me was its biggest selling point. Honestly, I would feel very comfortable living in a society such as the one shown.

What I also liked about it was its portrayal of military life and how Rico gets to experience the different facets of it (enlisted, OCS, etc). I'm not in the military as of yet, but from all my research, it seemed fairly accurate.

Funny thing is that Heinlen was a Navy man. lol

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Didn't read the book either. Did see the movie, which I thought was even worse than Transformers 2. Surprised so many seemed to like it.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
You forgot, civil service also counted. But the time before you got your franchise was longer.

But yeah, just a few changes are needed.

I now actually read the book again, and I guess what you mean is that they could also attain the right to vote by serving in a non-combat branch / role of the military.

What struck me as the most important point in the book was something the teacher said while Rico was being trained as an officer.

"What is the difference between voters in our system, and those of the systems that came before and failed?" "I will tell you" "In our system, every voter and every person holding public office has proven through his voluntary and difficult service that he values the welfare of a group more than his own personal gain"

toghether with "Authority and Responsibility must always be equally large, the unlimited democracies were unstable because their citizens could exercise their sovereign authority without bearing responsibility for their actions. "

(I am paraphrasing since I don't have the English version of the book.)

What's important to note though, is that soldiers where allowed to vote only After they finished their service, not while they where still a soldier.

Now the military component of such a society would only work if there is actually a formidable enemy to fight. Personally I would like to live in a society where everyone is required to complete a period of community service before he / she is awarded the full benefits of citizenship, with required regular repeats. Elected officials would have to serve more difficult terms because of their increased authority / power.

I also noted again what an awesome piece of military propaganda the book it, every time I read it I thought "daaaamn, now I want to go join the Mobile Infantry to kick some ass!"

O

Oberon

I also noted again what an awesome piece of military propaganda the book it, every time I read it I thought "daaaamn, now I want to go join the Mobile Infantry to kick some ass!"

Don't forget... Flores died on the way up.

yeghor

Starship Troopers a Deceptively Smart Satire - by Critical Drinker

The movie came out in 1997. Interestingly a year later this epic game came out, which is more or less based on the same concept.

Starcraft I Remastered review - by IGN

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was definitely more going on with the film than cursory views might have noticed. I finally watched it a few months ago. The thing is, Verhoeven isn't as profound as he tries to be sometimes, and even when you know what's going on, I can't say it's that enough of a great watch to want to view repeatedly, as least for me. I found it rather boring and on the nose, along with some leaden acting (whether purposeful or not). I'll be happy to never watch Denise Richards in another film as long as I live.

I suspect people who have read the book might carry some of that into their viewing of the film, improving their experience. It seems like something you could do more with in the writing, not the filming -- I saw the same issue with Spiderhead.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I suppose it isn't the most subtle thing, but the movie has an eerie prescience and I give it points for that.

You see people stomping on roaches and it's not any different then people pouring French Wine onto the drain.

Or there's a debate on TV that reminded me of the presidential debates in 2004.

There's just these little moments that did such a great job of anticipating where things went.

I've always thought it was important we stop people from acting like that so that it doesn't happen again, but when I read the earlier comments in this thread it definitely seems like people had different priorities in the sociopolitical realm.

Last edited: