• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Steampunk & Steampunk World's Fair

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
An imaginary Victorian age, that features brass and copper clockwork and steampowered inventions that go far beyond 1800's technology. Steam powered mechanical wonders, optimistic gear driven computers, dirigibles, clockwork firsts, and stuff like that. (But don't forget the goggles.)

There should be a discussion about this in place.
Share thoughts or post pictures. Do as you please.

Apart from the initiating topic,
There will be a Steampunk World's Fair in New Jersey from May 14th-16th.
The Radisson Hotel. Piscataway.

It looks pretty sweet so far...
14th: The Cup of Brown Joy Tea Party and Big Brass Ball Round 1
15th: Gentleman's Duel, Lovecraft's Revenge Murder Mystery Dinner, Gaslamp Cabaret, and Big Brass Ball Round 2
16th: Mad Science Fair and Anachronist's Fashion Show

They also have The Big Brass Ball the first Tuesday of every month.

I'll be trying to get to the event in some makeshift steampunk gear. If anyone is interested or wants to hit up one of the balls, drop me a line!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I just spent hours the other day looking up steampunk stuff online! I'm totally fascinated by all that. Steampunk fashion is totally up my alley, too. There's just something totally appealing about the idea of co-mingling the past with the future.

WANT:
steampunk-monitor-mod.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If it wasn't smack-dab on the dates of finals I'd totally be up for going :cry: Why does scheduling never work in my favor...

KDude

i'd love to go to something like this. i don't know much about steampunk though other than aesthetics. any (modern) stories/recommendations?

Lark

i'd love to go to something like this. i don't know much about steampunk though other than aesthetics. any (modern) stories/recommendations?

I'd recommend Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (though not strictly the same, steam fantasy maybe?), Bring The Jubilee (solid steam punk, cant remember the author) and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen books and film.

I'd be the same, purely a tourist, not into the dress code or anything like that, used to regularly visit a great steampunk forum until it got pulled for whatever reason. Although I have a kind if literary/political interest in the genre, its essentially about technology out of context and its consequences, written, in a way, by contemporaries of an earlier age's utopia. I mean if you think about it we live in "their tommorrow" if you consider Edward Bellamy or many of the time travel writers like that.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There's just something totally appealing about the idea of co-mingling the past with the future.
Completely agree. I hadn't thought much about it since it's not mentioned frequently, but it should be.
If it wasn't smack-dab on the dates of finals I'd totally be up for going :cry: Why does scheduling never work in my favor...
Aw :hug:. You should try to come to one of the balls or if they have it next year.
Mostly the same here. I've noticed films and books containing concepts, but haven't paid it enough mind prior.
I'd recommend Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (though not strictly the same, steam fantasy maybe?), Bring The Jubilee (solid steam punk, cant remember the author) and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen books and film.

I'd be the same, purely a tourist, not into the dress code or anything like that, used to regularly visit a great steampunk forum until it got pulled for whatever reason. Although I have a kind if literary/political interest in the genre, its essentially about technology out of context and its consequences, written, in a way, by contemporaries of an earlier age's utopia. I mean if you think about it we live in "their tommorrow" if you consider Edward Bellamy or many of the time travel writers like that.
:laugh: I'll certainly be utilizing those recommendations.
Hm. I like the option of dressing up, but only with things like this or the Labyrinth of Jareth (masquerade ball in Cali). More of my style element :blush:

Lark

I've got to say that I love Tim Powers Drawing of The Dark, its not steam punk at all but its a bizarre musketeers versus ottomans turns out to be a struggle between western and eastern wizards and beer made from finn mac cool saves the day. The guy is genius.

Hmm, Morlock Night, another steampunk masterpiece, especially if you like HG Wells, infact I think Wells was a bit of a steampunk too but I know people may differ.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I wanted to write narrative about steampunk then I lost the fizz.

steampunk-star-wars-3.jpg

633809119214872825-steampunk.jpg