• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suggestions For Good Jazz

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey Everybody,
I think the jazz bug has just bitten me. I'm looking for some good jazz and swing music suggestions.

My favorite song right now is by John Williams (same guy who did Star Wars, I believe), and his band, John Williams and the Baratones: "Funkallero".

KDude

[youtube="S1GrP6thz-k"]Blue Train[/youtube]

Obvious choice ... but one of the best.

MiasmaResonance

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've seen Miles Davis was already suggested, but I'd like to second it. Try "Blue In Green" by him.

Cowboy Bebop's "Road to the West" is superb, as well.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Good and jazz very rarely come together.

PFFT! Go dance with your flamingos or whatever you guys do!

SimulatedWorld had a "What Type is Jaco Pastorius" thread and I fully credit him for introducing me to that wonderful discovery. A good friend of mine really likes Pat Metheny, Dave Brubeck quartet[?]. Not sure if I'm spelling these guys right. Also, the asian fusion restaurant I used to work at had a great trio and they were spectacular. I know nothing about the genre, but when I hear something I like it rocks my socks.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
PFFT! Go dance with your flamingos or whatever you guys do!

SimulatedWorld had a "What Type is Jaco Pastorius" thread and I fully credit him for introducing me to that wonderful discovery. A good friend of mine really likes Pat Metheny, Dave Brubeck quartet[?]. Not sure if I'm spelling these guys right. Also, the asian fusion restaurant I used to work at had a great trio and they were spectacular. I know nothing about the genre, but when I hear something I like it rocks my socks.

Sweet! I'm seeing Pat Metheney in a couple weeks in Atlanta. So pumped!

For really good genre-bending time-shifting generally awesome modern jazz, check out Dave Weckl Band.

gromit

likes this
I like a lot of the Ella/Louis and big band stuff and also Dave Bruebeck. I am fascinated by the stuff he came up with in 5/4, 7/4, 9/4... I can't even wrap my mind how someone would write music in that kind of time signature. A. MA. ZING.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yExwkQYcp0"]Dave Bruebeck - Unsquare Dance[/YOUTUBE]
OMG THEY ARE DANCING IN 7/4. I just can't get over it.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That would be 7/8, I think (too fast to be 4ths). Rare time signature anyway!