• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mr. Houlden Caulfield

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
so I just finished Catcher in the Rye.

I guess it was alright, that Caulfield was just a phony if you want to know the truth. He killed me.

eheh, kidding.

Well, I guess we could start off by typing him?
and I'm going with ISFP.

as far as opinions of the book, whatchyall think?

discuss.

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
I read it and was really disappointed. I don't know what I was expecting, but that certainly wasn't it. I hated Caulfield and just wanted to smack the crap out of him. As I recall, I didn't find him tolerable until Pheobe appears. I've been told that it is supposed to be read as a comedy, so maybe I was reading it with the wrong state of mind. I plan on reading it again.

Jaguar

You can't see the bright light of Salinger when you have your curtains closed.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
loved the book, read it first when I was 16, holden seems like an INFP to me.

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
hahahah, what a goddam phony.
but i actually finished this book like a week ago, and boy was it depressing.

the 'meaning' so to say is somewhat straight forward if you want the main message..
its about whether to let adolescence fall face first and make them get up themselves, to learn from their own mistakes. or to help them along in life.

Holden is a BA if ive ever read of one. right up there with Roark.

when i read the book i guess.. about 3/4 of the way through i was.. disapointed? i guess i had some preconceptions about the book and it really wasnt a fast paced philosophical thinker. but as true with all things our mind can conjur up our own meanings to anything. as for myself.. if i got anything out of the book for myself.. its to just live and let live. as life can and will get you down. if you cant live for anything else, live for yourself.

as for Holden's type...
INF something. im terrible at making type assertions but he does seem awfully stubborn enough to be an INF. IMHO :]