• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes Alice in Wonderland so appealing?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I saw it... in 3-D :laugh: I wasn't buying the tickets, so I was just along to enjoy the colors mostly.

I thought it was kind of meh, but I really DID like the dog :wubbie:

I agree that the combination tim burton + johnny depp probably does it- add in the 3-D option and ta da! :holy:

on a funny note all of the grandkids on my dad's side of the family had a different children's book given to us by our grandparents when we were very young- they wrote a little something about why they chose them in the front- my ENFJ sister got Alice in Wonderland, I got Peter Pan, my cousin, also ESTP, got Treasure Island... somehow all fit in a way... :thinking:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I saw it... in 3-D :laugh: I wasn't buying the tickets, so I was just along to enjoy the colors mostly.

I thought it was kind of meh, but I really DID like the dog :wubbie:

I agree that the combination tim burton + johnny depp probably does it- add in the 3-D option and ta da! :holy:

on a funny note all of the grandkids on my dad's side of the family had a different children's book given to us by our grandparents when we were very young- they wrote a little something about why they chose them in the front- my ENFJ sister got Alice in Wonderland, I got Peter Pan, my cousin, also ESTP, got Treasure Island... somehow all fit in a way... :thinking:

I think 3D is the ONLY way to see it...I honestly don't see the point of watching it without the full 3D experience. My attachment to Alice in Wonderland primarily springs from the books, and I consider the film just a fun addition to that. I appreciate the myth itself. However, I'm not a huge fan of the Disney cartoon...it's not really as dark and sophisticated as the original tale.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I haven't read the books, but I hated the Disney version. I hate trippy things like Fantasia and the drunk scene in Dumbo.

I'm not really into trippy movies either, for the most part. I hate the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory for that reason, and I agree about Fantasia and Dumbo. And I loathe some movies that are conventionally adored, like Requiem for a Dream (not just because of the trippiness, but that doesn't help).

I've never had any attachment to Alice in Wonderland, but I saw the Burton movie last weekend and actually rather liked it. It was pretty and suitably entertaining for two hours, which was all that I really expected. You know what I'm not that impressed with, though? The 3-D technology. I came out of both Alice and Avatar thinking, "And I paid $3 extra for what, exactly?" Not that I want things flying at my face throughout the movie; it's just that I don't think that the 3-D filming really enhances my viewing experience that much.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think 3D is the ONLY way to see it...I honestly don't see the point of watching it without the full 3D experience. My attachment to Alice in Wonderland primarily springs from the books, and I consider the film just a fun addition to that. I appreciate the myth itself. However, I'm not a huge fan of the Disney cartoon...it's not really as dark and sophisticated as the original tale.

I didn't think so cuz here not all theatres were showing it in 3-d i could be wrong.though I will say I liked it but I do think it was hyped. I would have thought it was better if all my friends who saw it opening night weren't like its awesome that set the bar too high.

Carrot

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Perhaps the theme of "Surrealism" in "Alice In Wonderland". Or that it has some linkings to one of my presentations at school.

I've watched it 3 times in fact.

Or maybe it's because I finally understood what the story was trying to convey after almost 10 years or more.

But most importantly of all, other than the "Wonderland" which is portrayed in the movie, it's the idea that almost everyone is mad in the "Wonderland" which might be appealing to me.

"Wonderland" - I think most of us have our own ideal "Wonderland" in our mind. In fact, it might even be true that most of us yearns for certain kind of adventure or fantasy that's why this movie is so appealing. Not to mention that it's a family show for all ages to watch.

"Mad" - I've no idea why I like the thought of mad so much, maybe I just want to be mad. No matter how mad I tried to make myself seemed, I know pretty well how not mad I am. I think about too much things, worry about too much things, if I get mad then maybe those thoughts will get out of my mind which will be a relieve to me.

So other than the Cheshire Cat, I like the March Hare a lot too~ XD

4193278634_e065e5d52b_o.jpg

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I wasn't really a product of the books, but i was a product of a variety of the movies and a shoddy Disney series. I liked the characters and the surreal worlds and situations they were put in.

Things like the Wonderland section in Kingdom Hearts kept the love going, as well as the entirety of American McGee's Alice (god, i love that game). I'd say i'm a bigger fan of a beaten down Wonderland with deranged characters. The Sci Fi portrayal of that this year was a bit underwhelming.

Anyway, the combination of that and Tim Burton films that i already enjoy made me excited for the movie. I'd still prefer the American McGee's adaptation, but doubt it will ever happen.
-

The visuals in Tim Burton's were good, but could have been better. I liked a lot of the characters, especially Mad Hatter and March Hare. The humor was amusing.
I do wish they didn't give way to the entire plot in the first few minutes.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Don't tell anyone but I've never understood the appeal. I haven't actually read it, but the stuff I see "about" it just doesn't appeal to me.

P

Phantonym

I've never understood the appeal either. I read the book in my early teens and I wasn't impressed. I've seen the movie and I enjoyed it but it's nothing to go all ga-ga-eyed about.

I'd like to have that Cheshire Cat, though. :whistling:

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not seen the film yet, but I always assumed it was Lewis Carroll's way with words and the unusually edgy tone, rather than the story, that made the brand so appealing. He's a much better writer than J.K. Rowling in my opinion, but I'd rather escape to her world than the lonely, confusing and frustrating one Carroll creates, especially as a child.

ObliviousExistence

MBTI Type
loco
Enneagram
5W4
This is something I've pondered from time to time, especially after hearing about Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland opening with a record setting$112 million weekend. What makes Alice in Wonderland so special for so many people?

It seems to hold some sort of personal importance, particularly from NFs based on my observations. If I were to wager a guess, it has to do with the world that is presented. One that is entirely the construct of someone's imagination. Other than that...is there anything else to it that I'm not seeing?

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I've read the book and am a huge Lewis Carrol fan. I saw the preview and I am a bit dissapointed as it seems totally different from the book.

The reason I liked the original story is because of all the humorous word play and satire. fantastical yet profound nonsense is what I would call it.

Juni

MBTI Type
INFx
I read the first page and that was it. I apologize in advance if I talk about things that others have already said.

~~~~~~~

For me, Alice in Wonderland is a magical story. I am 30 years old and still get lost in the book. It is timeless, innocent, beautiful, dark, twisted, nonsensical, dream like, magical, and imaginative.

I love the story and it brings to mind Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

A world like our own but dreamlike. A place where anything can happen from talking disappearing cats to tea parties with talking rabbits. I want to live in Wonderland!

It also has an ageless wonder to it that can never be outdated, both for generations and in terms of a universal appeal to young and old. Every time you read it you find something mystical in the book.

I have yet to see the new movie but really, really want too. Tim Burton is my favorite director.