• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies/books you related to once, but no more?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Thought this would be an interesting idea for a thread.

Movies and books that you once identified with, but find no longer connect with you on the same level they once did.

When I was 18, I watched Othello (lawrence fishburne's one), and I still remember how devastated I was at the end. I mean, I'm talking the kind of tears that needed to be consoled by a friend, who was also crying and needing to be consoled.

I wept buckets to that tale. I felt such pity for both othello and Desdemona.

However I watched the same film last night, hoping for the same effect, only to find I had no pity for Othello anymore. I only cried for Desdemona. For Othello, although I didn't feel the same level of hate for him, as I do for Iago, I still felt contempt for his weakness.

For allowing his jealousy and paranoia to consume him without much evidence to go on. Stupid stupid man.

I guess when you have been at the end of that kind of manic jealousy and paranoia yourself, it's harder to feel pity anymore.

It just seemed I have grown beyond that tale.

Same as with Mulan. As a muslim female, once Mulan spoke to me on many levels. Of being a woman with little to no rights, and the need to become a man to change her destiny.

However now that I am no longer constrained, although I still love the tale, it does not move me the way it once did.

What movies, tales have you moved beyond?

gromit

likes this
Not really on the same level, but I used to love What About Bob? when I was a child. I don't love it so much anymore.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Not really on the same level, but I used to love What About Bob? when I was a child. I don't love it so much anymore.

Is there any reason it spoke to you more as a child than now?

I don't know the tale.

Couple more I remembered.

The prince of egypt and any story about moses used to move me to tears at times, speaking to the idealistic, let my people go, side of me. I'm alot less idealistic than I use to be, plus I am no longer religious, so it doesn't speak to me the same way.

Also, love stories. I love a good sad film, tragic and tearful and people have recommended I watch the notebook, but I don't watch romance films, at least not ones that are purely romance.

That stupid happily ever after part that they all have, just twist my gut up, in anger at how false they are lol.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Please Understand Me II