• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Serious Man

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Oh damn, I didn't realize this was a film that's already done come and gone. haha.

Well, I need to watch it...

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Why? It lacks substance, an interesting plot and characters people can relate to.

It tries so hard to look like a great movie, but completely misses the mark when it comes to being a great movie. Or even a good one.

But you'll see for yourself.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Roger Ebert gave A Serious Man 4 stars. He gave A Single Man 3 stars.

Funny how differently we all see things.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you think we bought it in the first place?

Watch it yourself and you'll scratch your head with me.

Maybe, maybe not.

I never seek opinions about the quality of movies, and I am loath to give them. I find discussions on this matter (as well as all other things artistic) fascinating to watch and analyze. It's like watching hockey. Curious, interesting, but I'll never play it and I still don't understand how it works.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Did you like 'Magnolia', disregard?

What about other Coen Bro films?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Never seen it (or heard of it). Would you recommend it?

Never heard of it?! It's got Tom Cruise (I know, I know...), Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, William Macy, John C. Reilly etc.

I liked it a lot, but it seems like one of those movies that a lot of people just wouldn't like. Kind of a hit or miss film, like I presume this one to be.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Did you like 'Magnolia', disregard?

What about other Coen Bro films?

My opinion on other Coen Brothers films is irrelevant. Read the reviews.

"A faint promising shadow of the potential masterwork it should have been."
"I hated just about every agonizing, smug minute of it."
"What do the Coen brothers want of us? More specifically, what do they want us to think of the repellent people in this pitilessly bleak movie?"

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Never heard of it?! It's got Tom Cruise (I know, I know...), Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, William Macy, John C. Reilly etc.

I liked it a lot, but it seems like one of those movies that a lot of people just wouldn't like. Kind of a hit or miss film, like I presume this one to be.

Oh. Yeah. Just see it, the anticipation is killing me.

MBTI Type
INTJ
A Serious Man is next in my Netflix queue, can't wait to chime in! It also seems curious to me to compare Magnolia to a Coen Brothers movie. The styles are very different.