• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Annoying movie cliches...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just think it's usually just used as a joke (maybe comic relief, even), often by Skywalker Sound.

sassafrassquatch

At the end of Deep Blue Sea, the cold British science chick who was falling for the rugged-chinned ruddy action hero ended up being eaten by the shark and Thomas Jane got stuck buddying up with LL Cool J.

And they weren't even gay.

That was sort of unexpected.

I hate that movie for doing that. Guys are expendable, fuck that guy. I kinda get that all the people responsible for creating the killer sharks were killed by the sharks in some kind of justice thing. Although she did strip down to her underwear at one point and thus under movie sharia is now a whore and had to die. Whatever. I still hate that movie. :thumbdown:

...Hostel...

For Hostel II, which I have not and will not see, I would like to do things to Eli Roth normally done to a potato. Stunted little idiot.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I do have to say that hot fuzz did a nice job with a lot of cliches, just tweaking them slightly by sticking them in absurd situations.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I decided to broaden the definition of movie cliche somewhat:

• Morgan Freeman always playing the wise old black guy.
  • Angelina Jolie always playing the hottie (when she is, in fact, not that hot).
  • Reginald Veljohnson (Carl Winslow) always playing a cop.
  • Gary Oldman as a foreign psychopath. Don't get me wrong, this guy is my favorite actor, and he plays psychopaths well and differently each time, but he's also effective at playing a good guy, too (like Lt. James Gordon in Batman Begins).
  • The anti-Bush or anti-Republican themes that have become all to obvious over the years.
  • Tim Burton's neverending collaboration with Johnny Depp.
  • Bad movies that win Oscars just for being controversial.
  • Action movies shot in New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago.
  • Fantasy movies shot in New Zealand.
  • Underlying messages and themes.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Insects, arachnids, snakes, crocs, sharks, dinosaurs etc. that gets supernatural intelligence/strength/speed etc. without any explanation.

(Sure they "explained" the human intelligence (albeit not the omniscience) of the sharks in deep blue sea, but didn't explain how this intelligence made them able to crash through steel without any damage.)

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Sympathy for evil characters: I don't want to know why some serial killer in a movie has a bad child hood and just needs attention. I had a divorce when I was young, got picked on at school, blah, blah blah, yet haven't killed anyone, and the general population doesn't care, so expecting the same for some serial killer is actually pretty insulting.

I disagree. It adds realism and depth and goes against the quite common idea that EVIL is a thing of itself and not a collection of unfortunate events and unhealthy developments. Doesn't make me hate the evil char any less, as his actions are the same, but it avoids the black and white worldview. I also like it when the hero has loads of less favorable traits and ideas, but you still can support him because he works for the right end. I find it insulting if people expect me to believe that the world is boolean, while it is extremely intellectually rewarding to figure out shades of grey.

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I disagree. It adds realism and depth and goes against the quite common idea that EVIL is a thing of itself and not a collection of unfortunate events and unhealthy developments. Doesn't make me hate the evil char any less, as his actions are the same, but it avoids the black and white worldview. I also like it when the hero has loads of less favorable traits and ideas, but you still can support him because he works for the right end. I find it insulting if people expect me to believe that the world is boolean, while it is extremely intellectually rewarding to figure out shades of grey.
I would have to agree with that. Just looking at some of the things that the "good people" I know think and do...we're all screwed up.

And I like my heroes flawed. They're tastier that way. :devil:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmmm, lots, but currently: When the two protagonists meet hurriedly in a crowded area and start "whispering" all the secrets they are supposedly hiding by speaking about it in a very public place (while trying to maximize said number of people by simultaneously walking around).

MBTI Type
INTJ
I hate when the nerdy kid says or does something noble, and then you get the single popular kid standing up alone and doing the slow clap, soon to be joined by everyone else in a standing ovation.

I f'ing hate that slow, patronizing clap.

MBTI Type
INTJ
At the end of Deep Blue Sea, the cold British science chick who was falling for the rugged-chinned ruddy action hero ended up being eaten by the shark and Thomas Jane got stuck buddying up with LL Cool J.

And they weren't even gay.

That was sort of unexpected.

Actually, I can offer a little insight on this one because I worked on the movie. Originally, LL Cool J was supposed to die and the British chick was supposed to live happily ever after with Thomas Jane. Preview audiences LOVED LL's character though, and HATED the British chick. And there you have it. Welcome to moviemaking by committee. (I don't mind though, I also liked LL and hated that chick.)

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Actually, I can offer a little insight on this one because I worked on the movie. Originally, LL Cool J was supposed to die and the British chick was supposed to live happily ever after with Thomas Jane. Preview audiences LOVED LL's character though, and HATED the British chick. And there you have it. Welcome to moviemaking by committee. (I don't mind though, I also liked LL and hated that chick.)

Wooow. Really? That is NEAT. How were you involved?

I like the ending to that movie because it did break cliches. The black guy didn't die and the stupid main couple didn't live happily ever after. I say, more movies should be made by popular opinion! ;) If it leads to THAT kind of cliche-breaking.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Wooow. Really? That is NEAT. How were you involved?

I like the ending to that movie because it did break cliches. The black guy didn't die and the stupid main couple didn't live happily ever after. I say, more movies should be made by popular opinion! ;) If it leads to THAT kind of cliche-breaking.

Oh, I just do administrative support for film production. Nothing glamorous in my job, although I do get a tangible result, which is nice. I agree with you, this is one of the few instances in which audience preview comments resulted in a better movie. If nothing else, this movie earned a modicum of respect from me for having Sam Jackson get eaten halfway through the movie...a TOTAL surprise.

sassafrassquatch

Interesting.

*Puts the preview audiences and LL Cool J on his personal shit list*

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP

Any character with a "proper" british accent is always going to be in trouble in an American movie. Regional british dialects not so much. It happens in Australian popular culture as well, but it's nowhere near as pronounced. We don't define ourselves as a nation by a war against England, after all.

ygolo

My termites win
I hate the cliche of running away to California for the better life.

As if, somehow when they get to California (usually Hollywood), all their problems will automatically go away.

I don't think there are THAT many people around who actually dream of making it big in Hollywood. But perhaps, it is a reflection of Hollywood being where the movies are made.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ

It's more the effect that some movies have where they seem to want the audience to root for, or feel sorry for, the villains above some other people in the movies that gets annoying. ("He's a mass killer, but goes to church every Sunday", is annoying, while "He goes to church every Sunday, but is still a mass killer" isn't.)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Long winded death scenes.
Over done killing scenes.
Unrealistic and childlike psychology.
Everything has to be s-p-e-l-l-e-d o-u-t so five year olds can understand every film going.
The whole Americans win again.
Female characters who no matter what they do never get touched unless it's to kill them, victimise them or their superhuman and so it's okay. Girls do fight, they don't always fight without honour and some of them could kick Arnie's ass.
The "artisitic" crowd pleasers. Personally I go to see a film to be entertained and not to learn about cubist poetry. Know your place and stick to your galleries.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
THEATRE OF BLOOD...drip drip

Death scenes. Oh boy! Long too.. not long winded.
Killing scenes. Not over done though. I should say efficiently done.
Unrealistic and childlike psychology. Infantile to the bottom!

The best British film ever. Old Vinnie.