• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Official 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm really confused about this whole round-robin tournament thing for hockey. If USA has already beaten Canada once, why do we have to do it again to get the gold medal?

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
Awwwwweeeeesome for Canada. And thank you, Sid! :D What a game! With two such good teams, it was a shame someone had to lose.

MBTI Type
INTJ
What a classic. It's hard to be disappointed...clearly the two best teams were in the final and I think both teams played well enough to win. Ryan Miller was awesome.

And God...anybody but Sid. WTF.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Yeah -- it was a very good game. I was sort of sad to see it end the way it did, but it was certainly an exciting and hard-played game. Sidney Crosby did seem a little... dismissive... in his post-game interview. Of the "it shouldn't have been close, but I guess we won so I'm happy" variety.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah -- it was a very good game. I was sort of sad to see it end the way it did, but it was certainly an exciting and hard-played game. Sidney Crosby did seem a little... dismissive... in his post-game interview. Of the "it shouldn't have been close, but I guess we won so I'm happy" variety.

Well, for all his talents (and they are otherworldly), he has never been accused of being classy.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Glad it finished with a proper goal, and not a random shoot out!

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
But we did, I thought...

*still confused*

USA won the prelim game.

The prelim games gave them a much better position in the actual rounds. USA, Finland, Sweden, and Russia didn't need to play the qualifier round at all. In the quarter-finals USA got to play the winner of Switzerland-Belarus, both fairly weak teams. In the semi-final they got to play the winner of Finland-Czech, middling teams.

Canada had to play the qualifier round, then had to play against Russia (strong team), and then would have had to play Sweden (also a strong team) had Slovakia not pulled off a surprisingly strong showing.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, Canada set the winter olympic record for most gold medals in a year, and they did it on their home turf, so I think they should be content with this.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Well, at the very least, Canada took the opportunity to use the Olympic platform to further their quasi-touristy self-promotion, v. reinforce the internationalist approach of earlier games.

Jeez. Give it a rest, Canada. We know where the Olympics were held in 2010. Not every closing ceremony display needs to remind us.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
USA won the prelim game.

The prelim games gave them a much better position in the actual rounds. USA, Finland, Sweden, and Russia didn't need to play the qualifier round at all. In the quarter-finals USA got to play the winner of Switzerland-Belarus, both fairly weak teams. In the semi-final they got to play the winner of Finland-Czech, middling teams.

Canada had to play the qualifier round, then had to play against Russia (strong team), and then would have had to play Sweden (also a strong team) had Slovakia not pulled off a surprisingly strong showing.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the explanation.

*not confused anymore*

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Congratulations to the Canadian hockey team.
The game was great!
Now Ryan Miller and Lindy Ruff can come back to Buffalo and be part of the same team.
Go Sabres!
Let's go, Buffalo!!!!!!!!!!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Well, at the very least, Canada took the opportunity to use the Olympic platform to further their quasi-touristy self-promotion, v. reinforce the internationalist approach of earlier games.

Jeez. Give it a rest, Canada. We know where the Olympics were held in 2010. Not every closing ceremony display needs to remind us.

As a Canadian living in America, I can attest to the fact that Canada needs to use every opportunity it can to help the US learn more about their neighbors to the north!

Oh Canada! :wubbie:

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Canada won Gold! :)

and of course canada won the most gold medals ever at a winter games and for the record we are more than happy, and more than pleased with our Winter Games :)

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The gold medal hockey game was amazing, and I don't just say that because I'm Canadian! :) it was just such a close and thrilling game, that's the way the sport should be.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
As a Canadian living in America, I can attest to the fact that Canada needs to use every opportunity it can to help the US learn more about their neighbors to the north!

Oh Canada! :wubbie:

I'm sure there are better ways to educate than through distracting self-promotion. I didn't see many legitimate factoids about Canada or its national identity, beyond commercialized, touristy celebrity promos.

Eh?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm sure there are better ways to educate than through distracting self-promotion. I didn't see many legitimate factoids about Canada or its national identity, beyond commercialized, touristy celebrity promos.

Eh?

Self promotion? PFFFT.. no.