• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Chess

Apollonian

MBTI Type
INTJ
I would love to learn more about Chess. If I knew anyone really interested in playing IRL it would make a difference.

So far, I have been more interested in the game of Go.

Go (board game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I am fascinated by the relative ease at which a computer may learn to play Chess compared with Go. Whereas in Chess the sequence of moves in any given tactic is fairly limited and the strategy comes from understanding and balancing the roles of the pieces, in Go all the pieces are the same and that strategy opens up to much larger variation and sheer personal style. I find that when I play someone in Go, I can fairly easily see how intelligent they are and how their mind works.

I wonder if it would be possible to play a forum-version of Chess somehow? Has anyone ever tried playing by email?

One of the funniest episodes at university was when someone left a chess set on a table in the apartment with an opening move and someone started playing. No one knew who was actually playing because they would never be playing at the same time, but would leave notes indicating when they had moved. It was interesting to watch and speculate on the game over the week or two it took to finish.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I am fascinated by the relative ease at which a computer may learn to play Chess compared with Go.

I wonder if it would be possible to play a forum-version of Chess somehow? Has anyone ever tried playing by email?

I know too little about Go to disagree, but do realise that it took a very long time for computers to reach an acceptable level, and a lot of research has been invested in making computers "strong". I dare to guess that so much more has been invested in chess-software than in go-software. (think of the IBM investments in Deep Blue)

I have played by email, and you will still find plenty of organisations for it. But the game has been ruined by strong computerprograms. It is hardly a human battle anymore.
Forum games may well work as well. You know what? I'll start a thread and make a first move right away!

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
As of late, I have gained considerable interest for chess. The reason is my obsession with genius, which has lead me to become a huge fan of Norwegian chess prodigy Magnus Carlsen (I am Norwegian).

Anyhow, does anyone here play or watch chess? Are you any good? How would you characterize your style? Does it fit with your type? What types do you think would be best suited for chess? What do you think about the personality type of some of the leading chess players in the world?

I am mostly into watching, but I am trying to improve my game. I am at a level where I beat people who just plays once in a while fairly easy. I feel like a quite positional player, but at the moment I am trying to improve my tactics, so that I among other things can become a more accomplished and creative attacker. Also it makes playing a lot more fun, because you see a lot more, and the chessboard comes alive. I am prone to blunders. I am best at playing rapid, but hate blitz, it’s going too fast, and I even lose to my inexperienced brother, which is very annoying! I have been practising a lot in ChessMaster 10, but I am trying to gain more experience against human opposition, because it’s quite different to play against.

I think the INTP and INTJ types probably would be suited for chess, but it has quite a lot to do with intelligence. I don’t know about the whole N/S thing. Chess is often highly theoretical though, and pattern recognition is also very important. Positional play is a lot about playing by certain principles, which is a bit Ti in nature. The creativity most often lies in the tactics.

As for famous chess players, I am pretty certain the mad Bobby Fischer was an INTJ. I think Magnus Carlsen is maybe a bit INTP-ish, but he could also be INTJ. Definitely IxTx, at least. I feel among other things, he is maybe too modest to be INTJ. :p Garry Kasparov is an E, I think, possibly ENTP.

I started playing chess when I was a kid, against my older brother and sister. I was a little obsessed with it for a time and played all day into the night. of course I beat everyone in my house. After, I challenged my INTJ history teacher. he had this wicked grin on his face, he did alot of trash talk as well. I actually enjoyed doing this with him. I have alot of good memories surrounding this game. I think I will work on teaching my nephews this game. they are 6 and 7.

oh yeah and your questions

\. I m average, a little above average, I have been able to get out of some real nasty spots. I dont think chess fits in with my MBTI type, I m considered an ENFJ. we are not known for being the masterminds. I think the leading players are fascinating people and would not mind picking their minds.

other then chess, I also enjoy playing risk and stratego.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I suspect you need visaul spatial intelligence for chess.

+

The logical one.

+

You need to be able to process sequences of coordinates, in relationship with other sequences of your opponent.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I can't play well because I can't focus for large periods of time.

It's usually the endgame that annoys me...because that's when you have to calculate a billion moves.