• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

R.I.P JD Salinger

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Catcher in the Rye novelist JD Salinger dies at 91.

American novelist JD Salinger, author of classic 20th Century book The Catcher in the Rye, has died aged 91.

The reclusive novelist died of natural causes, his son said in a statement released by his literary agent.

The Catcher In The Rye, first published in 1951, is a tale of teenage angst. It has become one of the most influential American novels of the modern era.

The son of a Jewish businessman and Scots-Irish mother, Jerome David Salinger grew up in Manhattan.

Salinger enjoyed early success in the 1940s with the publication of numerous short stories in magazines, among them the New Yorker.

But he is best known for The Catcher in the Rye, which quickly became a bible of teenage dissent in America and a staple of high school and freshman college English courses.

Almost immediately after Catcher was published, Salinger became disillusioned with the publishing industry.

In 1953, he bought a house at Cornish, New Hampshire, and retreated into a seclusion that was to last for the rest of his life.

Falcarius is kind of sad because Mr. Salinger wrote like what he and many other consider the story of their teens. :cry:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I loved "Catcher in The Rye."

RIP J.D. Salinger, you were a cool dude! :yes:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^me too! It made me feel like at least one person understood me when I read that book. The title of my blog here is also one of his quotes.........Farewell, JD!

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Somewhere (Attica Correctional Facility to be exact), Mark David Chapman is weeping.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My two cents are that Salinger was a crazy jerk and I thought Catcher in the Rye sucked.

Anyhow, regards to the dead and all that stuff.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Holy Shit! eh' wasn't dead yet? :doh:

Well, that's what I get for just assuming if you read it in school...

It was usually written by some dead guy.

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Jd_salinger.jpg

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've come to realize that I knew nothing about the author. RIP.

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Here are excerpts from a longer article published today:

Success, once it arrived, paled quickly for him. He told the editors of Saturday Review that he was “good and sick” of seeing his photograph on the dust jacket of “The Catcher in the Rye” and demanded that it be removed from subsequent editions. He ordered his agent to burn any fan mail.

In the fall of 1953, Mr. Salinger befriended some local teenagers and allowed one of them to interview him for what he assumed would be an article on the high school page of a local paper, The Claremont (N.H.) Daily Eagle. The article appeared instead as a feature on the editorial page, and Mr. Salinger felt so betrayed that he broke off with the teenagers and built a six-and-a-half-foot fence around his property.

As a young man, Mr. Salinger had a long, melancholy face and deep soulful eyes, but now, in the few photographs that surfaced, he looked gaunt and gray, like someone in an El Greco painting. He spent more time and energy avoiding the world, it was sometimes said, than most people do in embracing it, and his elusiveness only added to the mythology growing up around him.

In 1984, the British literary critic Ian Hamilton approached Mr. Salinger with the notion of writing his biography. Not surprisingly, Mr. Salinger turned him down, saying he had “borne all the exploitation and loss of privacy I can possibly bear in a single lifetime.”

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was not a fan of his writing, but I was a big fan of his commitment to dropping off the face of the Earth when he didn't dig being famous. Props for that.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Falcarius is kind of sad because Mr. Salinger wrote like what he and many other consider the story of their teens. :cry:
So sad.
Beppo Levitch would have made a good Holden.
Unfortunately Holden and his brother where disillusioned with Hollywood.

J.D. knew how to begin a story.
There were some others who knew the trick. Malamud and .. Stevenson.
Beppo was the best dr Jekyll ever!
And he added the part of Stella to the story of Stevenson.
It was a nice touch. So weird.
Holden forgot there are also talented people in Hollywood. People like Beppo and Stella.
A film is not a book.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Holden could have learned alot from Beppo.

I always thought Deano was there too. But apparently not.

He'd have made the perfect Hyde - sauve, a ladykiller. A Stella-killer. While Beppo played the bumbling scientist, unable to get the girl, his better half smooches into her bedroom. The good doktor is never to blame. ;)

Holden never had a dark man like Deano to bounce off. Neither did Salinger. :(

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Holden could have learned alot from Beppo.

I always thought Deano was there too. But apparently not.

He'd have made the perfect Hyde - sauve, a ladykiller. A Stella-killer. While Beppo played the bumbling scientist, unable to get the girl, his better half smooches into her bedroom. The good doktor is never to blame. ;)

Holden never had a dark man like Deano to bounce off. Neither did Salinger. :(
You mean Crocetti?

An all-Italian chap. Dino at school, Nino at home.
He was one of the major characters in the original Godfather novel.

Puzo was overuled and they wiped Nino out of the film.
A pity.
He was so sweet and suave. Or as they say in Italy, soave.

Nino was a ladies' man. A buddy of Frankie.
He knew the mobsters, too. He was not interested in the stealing business.
A good singer.

I expect he stole many wives and girlfriends, though.
He was protected by Sam.
Sam did many things. He tried to kill Fidel, but in the end he killed only Jack.
The history of flying saucers is not exactly the history the magic bullet. :smile:

Holden is Salinger. ;)
But it is another story.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
You mean Crocetti?

An all-Italian chap. Dino at school, Nino at home.
He was one of the major characters in the original Godfather novel.

Puzo was overuled and they wiped Nino out of the film.
A pity.
He was so sweet and suave. Or as they say in Italy, soave.

Nino was a ladies' man. A buddy of Frankie.
He knew the mobsters, too. He was not interested in the stealing business.
A good singer.

I expect he stole many wives and girlfriends, though.
He was protected by Sam.
Sam did many things. He tried to kill Fidel, but in the end he killed only Jack.
The history of flying saucers is not exactly the history the magic bullet. :smile:

Holden is Salinger. ;)
But it is another story.

That's the fellow, wilders.

In may '90 & '98 I was on holiday in Spain; around Chrismas '84 & '95 the same place in Spain. In a castle when each one in turn died. I calculated the odds - and it's millions to one.

Gottlieb died in '07. I was not in Spain; I was in Morocco, ;) Joey never seemed one of the boys.

Any attempt to appropriate Caulfield, Salinger met with legal action. Most artists accept that when the work is published it no longer belongs to them. Salinger seems to have a different view. Only by not publishing could he keep them to himself.

You're right - J.D. was Holden. :)

Would Holden be useful anywhere else? I think he would have made an interesting Hamlet?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
That's the fellow, wilders.

In may '90 & '98 I was on holiday in Spain; around Chrismas '84 & '95 the same place in Spain. In a castle when each one in turn died. I calculated the odds - and it's millions to one.

Gottlieb died in '07. I was not in Spain; I was in Morocco, ;) Joey never seemed one of the boys.

Any attempt to appropriate Caulfield, Salinger met with legal action. Most artists accept that when the work is published it no longer belongs to them. Salinger seems to have a different view. Only by not publishing could he keep them to himself.

You're right - J.D. was Holden. :)

Would Holden be useful anywhere else? I think he would have made an interesting Hamlet?
So Joey was the last one of the pack to die. He stayed away from the booze, I guess.
I remember him from one of the films, when he goes to the telephone booth with a worried expression and receives bad news. The bank robbery failed.
They all failed those days, the bank robberies.
It was an era of morality.

Kind of funny. One of the Hughes' girls had too big briests and there was an investigation into the matter. Very pious.

Joey was not a bad actor. A little grey around the temples.
Peter had his moments, too. He had a very good part in the Israel film of Preminger.

A castle in Spain .. well, God has his little amusements.
They are all now united with Him. They sing hymns, and sit upon the clouds.

Life passes on. Soon we are all dead. New generations take our place. :smile:

edit
Look close at Holden's Manhattan. It is the NYC of the 30s.
His Hamlet is a thing of the 60s.
Incubation time.

demimondaine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
how did they know he was missing?
and to think i was so sure he and pynchon were shacked up together all this time!!!!