• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Love Songs. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_JSDHGOZ6g"]Misery Is a Butterfly[/YOUTUBE]

Climber - Shake The Ground

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cR4wSKi5Aw"]Blind Pilots[/YOUTUBE]
Chorus to Blind Pilots has special significance to me.

Dot Allison - Did I Imagine You

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZesMa7idQ8A"]I Cant Tell You Why[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz2cUX0CNA8"]I Want To Know What Love Is[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mECBgNZt_k"]Finding You[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G3Exb1WN4U"]Is This Love[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tlHyfi_6d4"]Finally[/YOUTUBE]
Finally is a favorite of mine

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juzehizq1JQ"]You Are The Worst Thing in the World[/YOUTUBE]

LovelyAngel

Instigator, First Class
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

Awesome counterpoints, marmalade.sunrise! Darkly poetic! I love these songs too.

(“Possession” is a very special song with respect to my personal journey. I've sort of adopted it. It’s a scary song, too, as Sarah wrote it from the point of view of a stalker. I use a slightly different interpretation of the lyrics with regards to my personal journey. The interpretation of the lyrics by the director of the music video I can’t quite fathom, I’m afraid.)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
This one is seriously twisted, and it's amazing. Gets out a lot of feelings I had toward one particular ex-gf.

[YOUTUBE=UmlgCcdXaUY]Elvis Costello - I Want You[/YOUTUBE]

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
#1 Choice:

[youtube=-kvXfNoTjsY]Garbage - You Look So Fine[/youtube]
"You look so fine. I want to break your heart, and give you mine."

------------------------

2. Dante's Prayer by Loreena McKennitt (and obvious LOTR clips). Gorgeous song.

[youtube=VfLYjV4noC0]Dante's Prayer by Loreena McKennitt[/youtube]
"Cast your eyes on the ocean
Cast your soul to the sea
When the dark night seems endless
Please remember me"

------------------------

3. [youtube=BOByH_iOn88]Moon River (Breakfast at Tiffany's)[/youtube]
"Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end--"

------------------------

4. [youtube=AOBs8dU4Pb8]Run - Snow Patrol[/youtube]
"Light up, light up
As if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you dear

------------------------

5. [youtube=4spkVX8z-vs]Only In Dreams - Weezer[/youtube]

------------------------

6. [youtube=5bobskjQwWI]Epiphany - Staind[/youtube]

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I prefer the original "Heartbeats."

Dang! Why does everyone keep saying that?!?!

I've come to hate the Knife's original. I think the Jose Gonzalez's cover is significantly better.
It has more heart, dammit!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
YouTube - The Tragically Hip - So Hard Done By

YouTube - John Denver - Leaving on a Jet Plane

YouTube - The Water Is Wide - An Alias Sydney/Rachel Music Video
(Water is Wide aka River is Wide – Traditional song – but I like the Fiona Apple version of it but cant find it off hand)

YouTube - Sting - Little Wing (NLS era) Little Wing I think Stings version is better for making out

YouTube - Elvis Presley Are You Lonesome Tonight

YouTube - Radiohead - No Surprises

YouTube - Love Bites- Judas Priest (Compromise of love and Metal ha ha)

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
3. [youtube=BOByH_iOn88]Moon River (Breakfast at Tiffany's)[/youtube]
"Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end--"

5. [youtube=4spkVX8z-vs]Only In Dreams - Weezer[/youtube]
:wubbie::wubbie: Both in my top 5 too!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Dang! Why does everyone keep saying that?!?!

I've come to hate the Knife's original. I think the Jose Gonzalez's cover is significantly better.
It has more heart, dammit!

Because it's true! Making a beautiful, icy, synth-driven pop song into a sleepy acoustic ballad doesn't give it more heart. In fact, a lot of the emotion in that song comes from the rhythmic pulse. It's the same reason why Iron & Wine's covers of "Such Great Heights" and "Love Vigilantes" aren't as good as the originals. It's not because he isn't great; it's because some of the best parts get lost in order to make the cover original. In fact, I think Eric Lewis' live cover(s) of "Heartbeats" are better than Jose Gonzalez's. As an instrumental, you can see just how gorgeous the rhythm and melody intertwine, although he has some interesting flights of fancy.

[YOUTUBE=p5ZYrG4WdrI]Eric Lewis - Heartbeats (Live)[/YOUTUBE]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because it's true! Making a beautiful, icy, synth-driven pop song into a sleepy acoustic ballad doesn't give it more heart.

I agree. Except about the original "Bizarre Love Triangle" vs. the more slow and sappy Frente version.

I'm a sucker for 80s synth pop though. NOM NOM NOM NOM.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I agree. Except about the original "Bizarre Love Triangle" vs. the more slow and sappy Frente version.

There were great bands from that era who put a human pulse into some rather robotic-sounding songs, and it worked perfectly. Soft Cell or New Order or A Flock of Seagulls fit so much more emotion into their songs than 99% of the sappy acoustic troubadours or shrieking divas of today.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There were great bands from that era who put a human pulse into some rather robotic-sounding songs, and it worked perfectly. Soft Cell or New Order or A Flock of Seagulls fit so much more emotion into their songs than 99% of the sappy acoustic troubadours or shrieking divas of today.

:yes:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
In fact, let's provide evidence.

[YOUTUBE=iS9RPyznAPg]A Flock of Seagulls - Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You)[/YOUTUBE]

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because it's true!

NEVER!!!

Making a beautiful, icy, synth-driven pop song into a sleepy acoustic ballad doesn't give it more heart.

I stand corrected.

The Knife's original does, in fact, have a heart. It's just an "icy" unfeeling one. Probably has a face full of make-up, designer shoes, and... implants?

;)

In fact, a lot of the emotion in that song comes from the rhythmic pulse. It's the same reason why Iron & Wine's covers of "Such Great Heights" and "Love Vigilantes" aren't as good as the originals.

You didn't like the I&W cover of "Such Great Heights"?
omg if any cover was a great interpretation of the original it was definitely that one.

*makes note of this*

It's not because he isn't great; it's because some of the best parts get lost in order to make the cover original. In fact, I think Eric Lewis' live cover(s) of "Heartbeats" are better than Jose Gonzalez's. As an instrumental, you can see just how gorgeous the rhythm and melody intertwine, although he has some interesting flights of fancy.

Indeed, the Eric Lewis' cover is good, but it honestly doesn't even sound like the song to me. It more accurately sounds like an offshot of the original, not a cover (at least not in the terms that I define "cover"). Even his "flights of fancy" take away from the music and it comes off feeling a little gimmicky to me.

To clarify, Gonzalez's "Heartbeats" is not simply a "sleepy acoustic ballad." The song is so much more fluid the way Gonzalez plays it, much in the same way that Nick Drake made "Pink Moon" sound like the inside of a cove or something. The Knife's just sounds like trite commercial electronica. Can't get into that at all. Perhaps if I shopped at UO and owned a Mac, but otherwise I don't always have room for that kind of dessert.

*big sigh*

Okay, pure. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

It doesn't change the fact that it breaks my heart a little to know that someone doesn't hear what I hear when I listen to Gonzalez's cover.

:boohoo:

Quelle Dommage.

Sorry, marmalade, but 80s synth pop?

:sick:

Does the fact that I'm a 90s kid through and through explain my taste in music?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I :heart: 80's synth pop. Don't make me get all Depeche Mode on your ass. ;)