• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New car. Saab? VW? Ford?

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
So I need help coming up with car idea's. I'm thinking about selling my 2002 Ford Focus SE and buying an older, but sportier and sexier automobile.

I'm looking for something between $1000 - $4200. Manuel is a must. Leather and sunroof is a big plus. I'm not necessarily looking from something super fast, although a turbo is preferred. Handling is more of a focus point.

Although all the following cars are awesome, they're also all I can come up with. Any ideas/input?

Saab 900 SE with 2.0L DOHC EFI turbocharged I4, manuel.
4275619678_573c9f624b_o.jpg

4275619890_e016d98845_o.jpg

Pro's: They're all turbo'd, have heated leather seats, and sunroof.

Saab 9-5 2.3L DOHC EFI 16 valve turbocharged I4, manuel.
4274846477_90662cd44b_o.jpg

4275591712_7488a32d9b_o.jpg

Pro's: Roomy, powerful, heather leather seats, sunroof.

Some kind of VW Golf.
Two door
4274868831_35b1693614.jpg

Four door
4274869385_acdaec50a0_o.jpg

Pro's: Sexy, nimble, swift.

Ford Focus ZX5
4275617692_649aba9fd1.jpg

Pro's: Parts are easy to find, easy to upgrade, roomy.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know, but with Saab being insolvent, it might get a little hard to finde spare parts (especially when you're going to buy an older model) :/
My dad and a friend both have Golfs (like the four door one, ) and they're very content. I think it's a dependable and fairly economical car.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEaIIxK5Fhs"].[/YOUTUBE]

only downside of the golf is, every fuckin moron has one

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
The two door Golf looks sweet, you might want to look into getting a TDI model...

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Alfa Romeo 147 classic italian, ladys love it.

01597-gross.jpg

Mazda MX5 if you don't mind driving open. Awesome Handling.

LSD_Mazda_MX-5_2006.jpg

Fiat Uno Turbo pocketrocket on wheels :devil:
if you are lucky enough to find one. Although I read that they are still produced in Brasil, so you might be able to get one. It's a beast with <750kg and 100+hp. There is a special edition called "suite" that also features leather seats ;-)

[YOUTUBE="RUI9oZvxKdw"]Fiat Uno Turbo[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI Type
INTJ
IMHO, you should stick with your Focus. The brands you are interested in are notorious for always being in the shop, and also being expensive to fix. When you buy a Saab or a VW, the price you pay for the car is only the tip of the iceberg, especially when you are buying an older model. The Focus isn't very exciting, but it's a good car that isn't going to put you in the poorhouse with repair bills.

Mole

Permabanned
I think a two wheel drive is ungainly.

While a four wheel drive gives you four feet on the ground.

And even a four wheel SUV is ungainly,

So a four wheel sedan or wagon is perfect,

Such as the Audi.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
So I need help coming up with car idea's. I'm thinking about selling my 2002 Ford Focus SE and buying an older, but sportier and sexier automobile.

I'm looking for something between $1000 - $4200. Manuel is a must. Leather and sunroof is a big plus. I'm not necessarily looking from something super fast, although a turbo is preferred. Handling is more of a focus point.

Depends on how much older, but some ideas that may be in your price range. Some are more hardcore than others:

-Miata (handling)
-MR2 (handling! although watch out for the model with the wonky weight distribution, can't remember what year)
-Nissan 300ZX
-Nissan Sentra R Spec V
-Acura Integra
-Civic Si (pre-EP model)
-Subaru RS (2-door pre bug-eye model, but they are hard to find as they are much-loved)
-Focus SVT (probably too pricey though)
-Pontiac Fiero
-Ford Mustang
-Mercur XR4Ti

I would suggest visiting the major car forums; there are tons of threads with suggestions for such cars...

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd personally go with something Japanese or Domestic.

VW = below average reliability. If it's not the electrical system, it's burning oil at higher mileage.

Saab = Minimum maintenance cost over and above a Japanese or Domestic per year about $1500 bucks. Transmission and electrical issues are some of the more frequent ones.

I'd never do a Mercedes or a BMW without a comprehensive and extended warranty.

Two thumbs up for the Focus.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
listen to fmw. you will have your dream car when you're older.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'd recommend the Mazda 3, formerly the Mazda Protege. I'm sure you get a Protege in your price range.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think I've decided to keep the Focus I have now and just get some tires that keep me from sliding off the road. Maybe new intake, exhaust and suspension, too.
Oh, and tinted windows - I feel like I'm driving a fish tank.

I think a two wheel drive is ungainly.

While a four wheel drive gives you four feet on the ground.

And even a four wheel SUV is ungainly,

So a four wheel sedan or wagon is perfect,

Such as the Audi.

Mmmm. I love Audi. I hope to get one someday. All wheel drive for the win.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I make it a point to never buy anything that is more than 5 years old (anymore). Too many reliability issues except maybe for the Honda that I had. If you can afford it, a used Volvo turbo might be a good car but it wouldn't have the stick. Mustangs are great fun and plentiful but suck in the winter. One issue to be aware of with some sportier cars is the need for two sets of wheels/tires - one for winter and one for the rest of the year, which adds to your cost. Example - I just spent $1600 on snow tires (actually an entire set of wheels) for my 911 a couple of months ago.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Argus is choosing wisely... Ford's now ranked #2 behind Toyota in perception of quality.

I'd rather pay to fix a car that doesn't have payments and save the payment money to either pay cash or have a big down payment on the next one vs.

Cars = money pit, they get us from point a to point b.

Plan on driving the one I've got for a few more years, then trading for something like a Fusion or a Malibu.

Having spent the past three years supplying the local "Stealership" of Mercedes Benz with outrageous sums of cash, I'd be thrilled to drive a Focus instead.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think Argus is choosing wisely... Ford's now ranked #2 behind Toyota in perception of quality.

I'd rather pay to fix a car that doesn't have payments and save the payment money to either pay cash or have a big down payment on the next one vs.

Cars = money pit, they get us from point a to point b.

Plan on driving the one I've got for a few more years, then trading for something like a Fusion or a Malibu.

Having spent the past three years supplying the local "Stealership" of Mercedes Benz with outrageous sums of cash, I'd be thrilled to drive a Focus instead.

:D You are so right.