• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Avatar causing depression and inciting racism?

ProperDave

MBTI Type
ENTJ
This is absolutely ludicrous, but there was an article in the free newspaper Metro here in the UK that claims people are becoming depressed from watching Avatar and realising a utopian dream is impossible in this day and age. And the almost entirely white Earth force doiminating Pandora leaves eerie thoughts of colonialism in people's minds...

Has anyone heard of that? Does anyone feel adversely affected by the movie?

I think it's pure nonsense myself. I loved the movie, but I don't feel like a utopian world is impossible. Though as capitalism would be a difficult thing to defeat. The aggressive-dominant nature of our species drives us towards capitalism. The utopian Human society portrayed in shows like Star Trek would only likely arise from a near-apocolyptic end to the world.

I did however get an un-easy feeling at the nigh-complete white opressor, and the way the Na'vi were dressed in similar styles to African native tribes.

A brief on-line version of the article can be read on the Metro.co.uk site:
Avatar fans struck with depression, amid racist message claims | Metro.co.uk

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I didn't, I found it to be soul nourishing for my idealism.

I'm surprised it hit people that way, I watched The Road, now THAT was depressing, and that invoked a feeling of helplessness.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I did read this, ha. Let's be honest: Avatar is the largest leap forward the fetish community [particularly furries] has had in years. It's going to attract some nutjobs.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Why is it such a big deal if Avatar is racist/depressing? There are a ton of movies out there already like that.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I remember feel resentful of the fact that living like that was indeed no longer possible in this world. Took me a day to shake that feeling.

ProperDave

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Why is it such a big deal if Avatar is racist/depressing? There are a ton of movies out there already like that.

Well to be honest, I don't care so much. The only thing that crossed my mind during the movie was the colonialism angle. But I was wondering if anyone on here had experienced such feelings.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Well to be honest, I don't care so much. The only thing that crossed my mind during the movie was the colonialism angle. But I was wondering if anyone on here had experienced such feelings.

I dunno. Colonialism is history. It happened. We all know it. Therefore it is fair game in a writer's bag of tricks.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I don't know how often non-white people notice this, but in many movies where there is an indigenous/native population being oppressed, it's usually not even a native person who "saves" them. It's usually some white guy who comes into the situation, gets adopted into the community and saves the day.

Basically, many times as this is portrayed on screen, people of color would like to be the controllers of their own fate. Why does a white man need to save them?

Here's the article I read about it and I agree. Parallel Universe: Some Detect Subtext of Racism in 'Avatar' It didn't stop me from enjoying the movie. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to such themes. *shrug*

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know how often non-white people notice this, but in many movies where there is an indigenous/native population being oppressed, it's usually not even a native person who "saves" them. It's usually some white guy who comes into the situation, gets adopted into the community and saves the day.

They do notice it.

Mighty Whitey - Television Tropes & Idioms

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to paint myself blue from head to toe in protest of this film.
Shit.
I'll probably be mistaken for a Smurf. :doh:

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yeah, I was depressed after seeing this movie...'cause I blew $11.50 on 3 hours that I will never get back. :(

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I think the point was to demonize colonialism, not embrace it.

As far as racism goes, well whether the movie was or not, life is just like that. It's the same old Pocahontas story. It is what it is - based on reality. No point in getting bent out of shape over it.

I didn't get depressed from this movie and I agree with Jock about the weird fetish angle and people who will now want to bang lizards.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the point was to demonize colonialism, not embrace it.

Good point, that makes more sense to me.

I didn't get depressed from this movie and I agree with Jock about the weird fetish angle and people who will now want to bang lizards.

Lizards make great boots, and wallets, and belts, but girlfriends? Hmmmm... :thinking:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues - CNN.com

Yeah, I think it can cause depression if your life currently feels very empty. Entertainment is often used as a vehicle for escapism anyway. (Where do you think the term "WoW Widows" came from?) The imagined world is yours for a small price for a short time, you get to experience what the characters experience, you often feel a sense of wonder over the magnificence of the vision you're engaging, and afterward it is right back to your old problems, which often have no easy resolution.

of course people to fail to recognize certain things about these cinematic utopias, which is that they are not utopias.

In this case, living as a native on Pandora:
- No medical supplies or public sanitation, etc. This regulates the population size.
- In hunter/gatherer societies, you spend much of your time hunting/gathering.
- The social system is very strong and the rules unassailable. Out of survival needs, the tribe will cast you out or punish you if you cannot conform. You will be assigned a role and you will have to play it.
- You have to pull that g-string out of your bum all the time.
- You can very easily get killed (and eaten) if you're not careful in the jungle.

And so it goes.

The depression IMO comes from depression in real life that seems unmanageable, and having to see the mirage of Pandora only accentuates the pain and provides a momentary panacea in which to lose oneself.

I did however get an un-easy feeling at the nigh-complete white opressor, and the way the Na'vi were dressed in similar styles to African native tribes.

Yup, even down to hair styles, side profiles, language, weapons, culture style, and the tribes riding in on their horses and getting mowed down by superior firepower. Still, like Jeno notes, it's just history. It's what the US did to the indigenous lifeforms of our country. The movie didn't actually show all the awful crap that people have done... like infecting blankets with smallpox and then giving them to the natives as a gift. :doh:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, I think it can cause depression if your life currently feels very empty. Entertainment is often used as a vehicle for escapism anyway. (Where do you think the term "WoW Widows" came from?) The imagined world is yours for a small price for a short time, you get to experience what the characters experience, you often feel a sense of wonder over the magnificence of the vision you're engaging, and afterward it is right back to your old problems, which often have no easy resolution.

This is why I haven't bought an X-Box or Wii yet. I know I'd procrastinate majorly with it and my real life duties would inevitable suffer. :doh:

of course people to fail to recognize certain things about these cinematic utopias, which is that they are not utopias.

In this case, living as a native on Pandora:
- No medical supplies or public sanitation, etc. This regulates the population size.
- In hunter/gatherer societies, you spend much of your time hunting/gathering.
- The social system is very strong and the rules unassailable. Out of survival needs, the tribe will cast you out or punish you if you cannot conform. You will be assigned a role and you will have to play it.
- You have to pull that g-string out of your bum all the time.
- You can very easily get killed (and eaten) if you're not careful in the jungle.

And so it goes.

My friend Nikki once told me:

"Do you know why the grass is always greener on the other side of the pasture? It's because there's alot of shit over there." :yes:

The depression IMO comes from depression in real life that seems unmanageable, and having to see the mirage of Pandora only accentuates the pain and provides a momentary panacea in which to lose oneself.

Damn good post.

ProperDave

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm going to paint myself blue from head to toe in protest of this film.
Shit.
I'll probably be mistaken for a Smurf. :doh:

On another note; 6 smurfs got on a Tube train with me one Sunday a month back...
Well, they were staff from a bar, and they were on a pub crawl to celebrate something and had painted themselves head to toe in blue paint, wearing smurf hats and things.

Lizards make great boots, and wallets, and belts, but girlfriends? Hmmmm...
Well, they'd not get fat when pregnant... that's the only possible advantage I could think of... Though personally I think pregnant girls can be cute.

ProperDave

MBTI Type
ENTJ

Basically, many times as this is portrayed on screen, people of color would like to be the controllers of their own fate. Why does a white man need to save them?

I guess this is the Hollywood stereotype that if there isn't a White hero, the movie won't do as well as a non-white one. I've heard one theory in that a White hero character is easier to relate to than another race.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On another note; 6 smurfs got on a Tube train with me one Sunday a month back...
Well, they were staff from a bar, and they were on a pub crawl to celebrate something and had painted themselves head to toe in blue paint, wearing smurf hats and things.

I doubt Avatar would have gone over so well if the natives were short, dumpy, had dorky names, and wore little white hats.

I guess this is the Hollywood stereotype that if there isn't a White hero, the movie won't do as well as a non-white one. I've heard one theory in that a White hero character is easier to relate to than another race.

What's the main audience for the movie, in terms of numbers?

As far as the outside thing goes, it's pretty clear the best "connection" narrative device is one of us becoming one of them, and we interface with them through our representative because we understand the person who infiltrates the culture but have few points of reference with the alien culture.

However, why wasn't a black guy/girl chosen? (For example.) It's interesting.

Will Smith is pretty big for a popular black actor that makes blockbusters, but I don't know if he can draw a crowd alone like some can. I don't remember I*Robot, I am Legend, or other films doing that well where he was the main star despite how likable he is.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I remember feel resentful of the fact that living like that was indeed no longer possible in this world. Took me a day to shake that feeling.

Living like what?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Will Smith is pretty big for a popular black actor that makes blockbusters, but I don't know if he can draw a crowd alone like some can. I don't remember I*Robot, I am Legend, or other films doing that well where he was the main star despite how likable he is.

Hahaha, when Hitch came out, that was the biggest movie in Germany (where I was living) at the time.

Also, Independence Day and MIB were huge with him in the lead, although there were a lot of big name supporting actors.

I agree with him not being able to draw a crowd like that on his own, though. With the (inexplicable) exception of Hitch.