• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jazz/Classical Appreciation

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
more recent than Art Tatum. McCoy Tyner played with Coltrane in the early-mid sixties. but he had a long career after that. he still records and tours.

i think so too. but they are so different as players, Rich is such a technical drummer. i tend to like Krupa's style.

yeah krupa had more swing especially in that clip you can almost tap your fingers to his rhythms if you know them well enough......but rich isn't human and he could still play like that in his 60s

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
yeah krupa had more swing especially in that clip you can almost tap your fingers to his rhythms if you know them well enough......but rich isn't human and he could still play like that in his 60s

B Rich was some kind of physiological freak of nature. He could play with more intensity for a longer amount of time than most humans, and he did it until he died. He had an incredible gift!

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think when Ps finally find something to focus on they can be just as intense as Js if not more.....

I was relaying personal experience here.

One of my friends (ESFJ) is a very technical musician whereas I have never had much formal training but we're equally as talented. I usually find P musicians more intense (can feel it in their music) but I might be biased.

;)

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was relaying personal experience here.

One of my friends (ESFJ) is a very technical musician whereas I have never had much formal training but we're equally as talented. I usually find P musicians more intense (can feel it in their music) but I might be biased.

;)

what instrument do you play ?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
what instrument do you play ?

Violin.

When I was in elementary, I played alto sax, but my mother pulled me out because she thought it was "too masculine" for me.

I play viola fairly well and I also sing, but my guitar skills are total crap.
Wanna learn cello and harp now. *shrug* We'll see.

David Oistrakh - one of my favorites

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was in elementary, I played alto sax, but my mother pulled me out because she thought it was "too masculine" for me.

:shock: Never heard that one ... I also play alto sax, and the only sections that were truly 'male' were brass players.

That said: :steam: @ human101. I was just about to start a similar thread :D

Enough OT, here's the real deal.

So just for starters, some of my favorite tunes (Title, Artist, Album):

- Blue in Green (Miles Davis, Kind of Blue)
- All Blues (ditto)
- So What (ditto)
- Visa Från Utanmyra (Jan Johansson, Jazz på Svenska. It's a real gem, get it. Now!)
- Hang Up Your Hang-Ups (Herbie Hancock, Man Child)
- Stolen Moments (Oliver Nelson, The Blues and the Abstract Truth)
- You don't Know What Love Is (Kenny Garrett, Standard Of Language)

Sorry if I can't post links, youtube has become very restrictive so most videos don't show in Europe.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Some good old classics:

Miles Davis, Kind of Blue
John Coltrane: Giant Steps
Bill Evans: California Here I Come
Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else (with Miles Davis)
Thelonious Monk: Monk's Dream
Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um
Herbie Hancock: Empyrean Isles

For orchestral pieces, I always liked Ravel a lot, especially Pictures at an Exhibition, La Valse, the piano concerto, etc. Richard Strauss is great with Ein Heldenleben, Don Juan and others. Stravinsky with Rite of Spring, Firebird Suite, Patrouchka...

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
:shock: Never heard that one ... I also play alto sax, and the only sections that were truly 'male' were brass players.

Forgot to mention that my mom is pretty irrational and frequently lead by whim.

:D

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We're thin on the classical side, so I'll mention Lang Lang and the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3.

I like the way he plays the romantics in general. No schmaltz. Surprisingly refreshing and still very moving/engaging.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I was always fond of George Benson as an influence.

Stan Getz deserves some mention here as well.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I played alto sax, but my mother pulled me out because she thought it was "too masculine" for me.

Just for the record, I also play the flute ;)

We're thin on the classical side, so I'll mention Lang Lang and the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3.

Good call. Rach is epic.

- Vocalise (Cello & piano)
- Symphony No. 2 (3rd movement 1,2 is one of my favorite pieces of music of all time)
- The Sea and the Seagulls (orchestral version)
- The Isle of the Dead (1,2)

More jazz:
- Paul Desmond! My favorite alto sax player of all time (esp. the Sessions with Jim Hall), his album Bossa Antigua is also great (love Bossa Nova)
- Kenny Burrell (e.g. Chitlins con Carne, from the album Midnight Blue)
- and a bit of elevator music :D

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
on alto sax i like Eric Dolphy and Ornette Coleman a lot. especially Eric Dolphy. but those guys are both big multi-instrumentalists, so they are great on a bunch of instruments.
and Charlie Parker, or course!

Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else (with Miles Davis)

great album! it's got Art Blakey on it too, who is one of my favorites.
Blakey did a very cool album with Lee Morgan called: 'S Make It.

here is Art Blakey and Lee Morgan playing together (Blakey on drums, Morgan on trumpet):

[YOUTUBE="VKXsnDvILmI"]Moanin'[/YOUTUBE]

Miles Davis did a really fantastic album with Stan Getz called Conception.
Miles doesn't hardly play on the album, even though he was the leader on it. Stan Getz and Lee Konitz totally dominate the album. Gerry Mulligan is on it too. it's great stuff!
Avis, i bet you would dig this album.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Just for the record, I also play the flute ;)

Good call. Rach is epic.

- Vocalise (Cello & piano)
- Symphony No. 2 (3rd movement 1,2 is one of my favorite pieces of music of all time)
- The Sea and the Seagulls (orchestral version)
- The Isle of the Dead (1,2)

More jazz:
- Paul Desmond! My favorite alto sax player of all time (esp. the Sessions with Jim Hall), his album Bossa Antigua is also great (love Bossa Nova)
- Kenny Burrell (e.g. Chitlins con Carne, from the album Midnight Blue)
- and a bit of elevator music :D

I love organs in jazz
YouTube - RICHARD GROOVE HOLMES down home funk

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was always fond of George Benson as an influence.

:yes:he's done a lot of work with latin musicians aswell he almost had a whole separate career away from jazz