• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Rap/Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Share your favorite Rap/Hip Hop artists and jams here.

Feel free to throw in a bit of info about the artist(s), or song(s) of choice, or don't.

Discussions about Rap/Hip Hop are also welcome.

Gettin' it started up in here is...

*copy/pastes her own post from some other thread*
Awesomecakes said:
Yesterday & this morning...

El-P

- I'll Sleep When You're Dead

El-p-sleep.jpg

I really like his style. The random instrumental is worth a listen all by itself.

HIGH DEF HEADPHONES, FTW!

My fave tracks off this album:

Do you think that if you were falling in space
That you would slow down after a while, or go faster and faster?
Faster and faster...
For a long time you wouldn't feel anything...
Then you would burst into into fire...

This is the sound of what you don't know killing you
This is the sound of what you don't believe still true
This is the sound of what you don't want still in you

:coffee:
[youtube=M9b-ibeakUA]Tasmanian Pain Coaster[/youtube]

But telling you the truth is sad
You deserve the ignorance and bliss that I still wish I had
Don't you let me keep you here
Don't ignore my greatest fear
I need you to not need me

[youtube=RF7E23FLiW4]The Overly Dramatic Truth[/youtube]
^Studio Version

Interesting Vid.
[youtube=2dBqGINeDvg]Flyentology[/youtube]

I like the whole album, really. :p

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
I probably would, but I can't type about something I'm not listening to.

It would take hours and hours to make it right!

It would be a work in progress. It's not just about posting songs that no-one will listen to, it's about appreciating it, with words.

And I'm stuck on a certain song. So I'm not going to stop listening to it, right now. Or the next few hours.

RiderOnTheStorm

E. N.. T... :P
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I probably would, but I can't type about something I'm not listening to.

It would take hours and hours to make it right!

It would be a work in progress. It's not just about posting songs that no-one will listen to, it's about appreciating it, with words.

And I'm stuck on a certain song. So I'm not going to stop listening to it, right now. Or the next few hours.

Well, if you should choose to do so, or remember, I'll be looking forward to what you have to post. :)

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[youtube="LFCWHshsw_M"]Hilltop Hoods - The Hard Road[/youtube]

[youtube="J92g7LKkZ1I"]Muph & Plutonic - Beautiful Ugly[/youtube]
Some Australian Hip Hop, Rap I like.

[youtube="icY_an6ZgRg"]Alabama 3 - Reachin'[/youtube]
Is Alabama 3 trip hop soul or hip hop soul, either way love them.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm strictly Old School. The original old school (before the original New School became old by the passage of time).
Back when it was all about parties, light competition and then message.
To me, it all began to go down when it became all about bragging on one's self, and from there, you saw it go downhill into violence, and then just glorifying the gangsta culture instead of telling us to avoid it. Then, many of the same rappers complained about all the violence that had taken over the industry!

Here's my take on the history of rap:
Rap: Where Did We Go Wrong

Last edited:

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm strictly Old School. The original old school (before the original New School became old by the passage of time).
Back when it was all about partyies, light competition and them message.
To me, it all began to go down when it became all about bragging on one's self, and from there, you saw it go downnhill into violence, and then just glorigying the gangsta culture instead of telling us to avoid it. then, many of the same rappers complained about all the violence that had taken over the industry!

I didn't read your link (I probably will later; it looks interesting :)), but for me it all seemed to go downhill when gangsta rap became popular.

I've seen critics (or "critics" ;)) blame rap groups like N.W.A. and people like Ice-T as perpetrators of a violent culture, and they're right to a degree. But the way I see it is those rappers were products of a violent and impoverished environment. Many urban areas were extremely hostile and unhealthy, especially after the crack epidemic in the late 80s, so I don't necessarily think it's fair to attribute all the blame to just the rappers.

Gangsta rap was never meant for mainstream society. It was a subgenre directed at a very specific target audience (typically black kids growing up in rough areas who could relate on a very tangible level to the struggles in many of those lyrics). Record labels caught onto the popularity of gangsta rap from the high sales in urban areas and basically exploited it for profit.

I don't watch MTV anymore, let alone television (BET is another cesspool :rolli:). I can't stomach it. The "rap" they show on that channel now is mind-numbing, to say the least, not to mention their shows :sick:. Those networks glorify rappers while defaming them by helping them disrespect themselves. I really don't know where rap is going to go from here, but, unfortunately, it has already made its mark and is becoming the cultural image of what black people are and value today.

That is sad.

*tear*

Warm

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I didn't read your link (I probably will later; it looks interesting :)), but for me it all seemed to go downhill when gangsta rap became popular.

I've seen critics (or "critics" ;)) blame rap groups like N.W.A. and people like Ice-T as perpetrators of a violent culture, and they're right to a degree. But the way I see it is those rappers were products of a violent and impoverished environment. Many urban areas were extremely hostile and unhealthy, especially after the crack epidemic in the late 80s, so I don't necessarily think it's fair to attribute all the blame to just the rappers.

Gangsta rap was never meant for mainstream society. It was a subgenre directed at a very specific target audience (typically black kids growing up in rough areas who could relate on a very tangible level to the struggles in many of those lyrics). Record labels caught onto the popularity of gangsta rap from the high sales in urban areas and basically exploited it for profit.

I don't watch MTV anymore, let alone television (BET is another cesspool :rolli:). I can't stomach it. The "rap" they show on that channel now is mind-numbing, to say the least, not to mention their shows :sick:. Those networks glorify rappers while defaming them by helping them disrespect themselves. I really don't know where rap is going to go from here, but, unfortunately, it has already made its mark and is becoming the cultural image of what black people are and value today.

That is sad.

*tear*

Preeeeeeeeach!

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
the only rap i have respect for is atmosphere.
i cant stand 90% of everything else haha.
but atmosphere is effin legit. its probably biased and bigot-ish to say i only like atmosphere [in the genre of rap] but whatevs.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
To me, it all began to go down when it became all about bragging on one's self, and from there, you saw it go downnhill into violence, and then just glorigying the gangsta culture instead of telling us to avoid it. then, many of the same rappers complained about all the violence that had taken over the industry!

i grew up with gangsta rap. now i dislike it, my integrity pushes me away from it, so i make a conscious effort to distance myself from it.
i work with kids in an anti-gang program who listen to a lot of gangsta rap. i try to work them away from it to more positive music. i've found that positive music does promote positive thinking. i believe in music to develop a positive mentality, to open up and connect with parts of you that are there but unnoticed, that are buried deep.

i think gangsta rap is more the product of an environment than a cause. i don't think it really puts ideas in kids' heads, but it does reinforce tendencies that are already there in you. the kids that can actually relate to gangsta rap do find a connection in it, to the experiences they can relate to, a pull that draws them in. but instead of starting with that connection and building positive constructive ideas on it, it just tells you to throw up bigger walls, more anger and distance.
music with a negative message has a caustic effect on people, maybe gradually and subtly, but i do think it can be corruptive.

here is something else;
[YOUTUBE="ZKJx5OTSPG0"]Bendicion Mami - Fat Joe[/YOUTUBE]

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp

That is sad.

*tear*

g-funk > penis rap lol

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
:laugh:

Am I supposed to know what that means?

haha u know, g-funk! like warren g, dove shack, that chill laid back style of the mid 90s. not necessarily the same as gangsta rap. im saying is better than the 50 cent east coast inspired Penis rap, where u just rap about your penis. LOL

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Z0yy5-aSw"]Foesum[/YOUTUBE]

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
haha u know, g-funk! like warren g, dove shack, that chill laid back style of the mid 90s. not necessarily the same as gangsta rap. im saying is better than the 50 cent east coast inspired Penis rap, where u just rap about your penis. LOL

Ooooooohhhh.

Got it.

:D

I would agree.

May I ask though (for my dad's sake) is Color Me Bad considered g-funk?

*laughs out loud*

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
haha

no

LOL

when u said color me badd, i can't stop thinking of milli vanilli for some reason haha

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
He was a fan of them as well.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

You must forgive him.

He was a Samoan kid from SoCal. He was just dying to be cool in the early 90s.

This has got to be g-funk.

Am I white hot or what?

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
He was a fan of them as well.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

You must forgive him.

He was a Samoan kid from SoCal. He was just dying to be cool in the 90s.

This has got to be g-funk.

Am I white hot or what?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

no that's not g-funk. this is g-funk

YouTube - The Dove Shack - Summertime in the LBC [MUSIC VIDEO]

YouTube - Warren G - This D.J.

YouTube - Nate Dogg & Snoop Dogg - Never Leave Me Alone (Full)

btw, ur dad cracks me up! hahahaha

he's gonna love this blast from the past then...

YouTube - Gerardo - Rico Suave

hahahaha

this one for sure

YouTube - Hi-Five-I Like The Way (Kissing Game)

lolzzzz :)

YouTube - Come and Talk to Me

ohhh crap... i gotta stop now hahahaha