• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Rap/Hip Hop Appreciation Thread

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes.

Looove that bass line.

:heart:

You have the... vinyl?!?!

*dies happy*

:yes:

yep got it cheap aswell one of those records you buy on the spot or you fear never seeing it at the record shop again

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
yep got it cheap aswell one of those records you buy on the spot or you fear never seeing it at the record shop again

We had a tiny record shop in town that sold .75 cent vinyls.

Unfortuntely, she went out of business. I think I was the only one who went there.

Blackstar (Mos Def & Talib Kweli)

I used to have a truckload of their music downloaded to my computer, but sadly :boohoo: it crashed.

I think I died a little with it.

you heard of jeru the damaja ?

Hm. No.

Please indulge.

:)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ6Rq_tAIPU"]classic[/YOUTUBE]

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
We had a tiny record shop in town that sold .75 cent vinyls.

Unfortuntely, she went out of business. I think I was the only one who went there.

I used to have a truckload of their music downloaded to my computer, but sadly :boohoo: it crashed.

I think I died a little with it.

Hm. No.

Please indulge.

:)

Sorry about that I live in the inner city records shop everywhere and about 2 or 3 close down every year

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
How about some CHRISTIAN RAP :

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxr6DaqHN74"]Lecrae[/YOUTUBE]

Seriously, listen to it. He's very talented

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxr6DaqHN74"]Lecrae[/YOUTUBE]

Are you sure the song isn't sped up?

I think this Christmas song is better :)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnHlqZRk4Ow"]Merry Muthafuckin' Xmas[/YOUTUBE]

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't read your link (I probably will later; it looks interesting :)), but for me it all seemed to go downhill when gangsta rap became popular.

I've seen critics (or "critics" ;)) blame rap groups like N.W.A. and people like Ice-T as perpetrators of a violent culture, and they're right to a degree. But the way I see it is those rappers were products of a violent and impoverished environment. Many urban areas were extremely hostile and unhealthy, especially after the crack epidemic in the late 80s, so I don't necessarily think it's fair to attribute all the blame to just the rappers.

Gangsta rap was never meant for mainstream society. It was a subgenre directed at a very specific target audience (typically black kids growing up in rough areas who could relate on a very tangible level to the struggles in many of those lyrics). Record labels caught onto the popularity of gangsta rap from the high sales in urban areas and basically exploited it for profit.

i grew up with gangsta rap. now i dislike it, my integrity pushes me away from it, so i make a conscious effort to distance myself from it.
i work with kids in an anti-gang program who listen to a lot of gangsta rap. i try to work them away from it to more positive music. i've found that positive music does promote positive thinking. i believe in music to develop a positive mentality, to open up and connect with parts of you that are there but unnoticed, that are buried deep.

i think gangsta rap is more the product of an environment than a cause. i don't think it really puts ideas in kids' heads, but it does reinforce tendencies that are already there in you. the kids that can actually relate to gangsta rap do find a connection in it, to the experiences they can relate to, a pull that draws them in. but instead of starting with that connection and building positive constructive ideas on it, it just tells you to throw up bigger walls, more anger and distance.
music with a negative message has a caustic effect on people, maybe gradually and subtly, but i do think it can be corruptive.
Exactly! This is what I point out in the essay!
I don't watch MTV anymore, let alone television (BET is another cesspool :rolli:). I can't stomach it. The "rap" they show on that channel now is mind-numbing, to say the least, not to mention their shows :sick:. Those networks glorify rappers while defaming them by helping them disrespect themselves. I really don't know where rap is going to go from here, but, unfortunately, it has already made its mark and is becoming the cultural image of what black people are and value today.

That is sad.

*tear*
And ironically, many of the older "hard core" rappers like KRS and Nas, are the ones lamenting a lot of this stuff and claiming "Hip Hop is dead". I believe it just went beyond where they wanted it to go, but they helped it get here by mixing so much violence and sex into the message.

[Lecrae]

I have not kept track of Christian rap, but I know from about 10-15 years ago, Cross Movement and The Storytellas were very good.

MBTI Type
INFP
Wu-tang-logo.jpg

We can close the thread now. ;)